Door to door peddlers

I've seen people (the more emotional folk in my friends lists) posting pictures of chalk marks on Facebook claiming it is code for where cats and dogs can be stolen. In a world where everyone has a smart phone able to take pictures and give a geolocations why would criminals revert to hobo symbols? Genuinely asking.
Presumably because smackhead burglars are not wandering around at 2 in the morning checking geolocations...they tend to check door handles and other signs of an easy victim.

Im not emotional and i dont use facebook but i know that when my house was having two extensions built and being totally renovated it was pretty open, the front door could have been forced open with an angry look and we weren,t living there most of the time...while i was working away there were was a mark put on the side of the doorstep with what was probably a stone and another on the front garden wall. The marks were quite small but the missus sent photos of them to me and i did a bit of digging...one suggested that the house wasnt secured and the other that we didnt have a dog.

Just ordered 750,000 duster/cleaning cloths from a warehouse in guangdong, viewing a 2010 low mileage 8 seater VW transporter this afternoon, and doing a recruitment drive outside feltham Young offenders on Monday morning when the ne'er-do-wells are released having payed their dues to society, expect a knock šŸ˜‰

Some genuine cases of some being decent. Lovely story.
By the way the genuine ā€œoffendingā€ people trying to get back into society carry ID.
Have a friend, retired and a real decent human being. A said peddler knocked on his door one day and typical Brian opened a chat with him, openly asking what he had previously done. Honestly confirmed theft and that he had got into trouble when younger. They were chatting for 10 mins or so and the lad said that most people slam the door, give abuse etc.
Well Brian invited him inside and made him a coffee and bought some of his gear.
The lad welled up, Brian said to him that if he ever wanted a chat then he was here for him. Visited again 6 months later and Brian invited him into his house again. Far more relaxed etc.
Anyway before lockdown and Christmas lad turns up with a little Christmas present and basically saying thanks. Kindness and trusting and giving people a chance.
There you go a true lovely story.

Donā€™t think you need to worry Mate.
Did Brian buy dishcloths for 20 times normal price and was the present 5 free dishcloths?
Check ya skin. Couldā€™ve been UV marked. That means a foreigner will rape you.
I keep marking my skin myself...I've had no luck yet
Never heard of a burner phone? Is there a single police recorded occurrence of chalk / pebbles and a break-in / pet theft?
Is there a single recorded case of a duster salesman come burglar masterminding a caper using a burner phone? Its not The Wire ffs.

Last edited:
Did Brian buy dishcloths for 20 times normal price and was the present 5 free dishcloths?

I keep marking my skin myself...I've had no luck yet

Is there a single recorded case of a duster salesman come burglar masterminding a caper using a burner phone? Its not The Wire ffs.

Was about helping the lad out not the cost of the products.
Very kind hearted Man. Came to football with us once and missed the train connection as he was helping two old ladies off the train :)
Had to catch the next one. Itā€™s typical of him always helping others.

No, thatā€™s what they want, theyā€™ll be waiting for someone with Alzheimerā€™s who they can rob blind again and again

Theyā€™re called Nottingham knockers

totally illegal and they use it as an excuse to sport vulnerable people or unlocked households.

If they turn up again ring the police

did the lad have a mask on?

And a striped jumper?

Presumably because smackhead burglars are not wandering around at 2 in the morning checking geolocations...they tend to check door handles and other signs of an easy victim.

Im not emotional and i dont use facebook but i know that when my house was having two extensions built and being totally renovated it was pretty open, the front door could have been forced open with an angry look and we weren,t living there most of the time...while i was working away there were was a mark put on the side of the doorstep with what was probably a stone and another on the front garden wall. The marks were quite small but the missus sent photos of them to me and i did a bit of digging...one suggested that the house wasnt secured and the other that we didnt have a dog.
This has all been well documented by police forces up and down the country.

Anyone had these lately? Had a knock on the door and some lad claiming to be a on probation selling a load of tat ... wanted ten quid for some cloths!

politely sent him on his way

my lass anxious the house will get done over now but I just think itā€™s a scam trying to get a couple of quid of the gullible and vulnerable
Been happening alot in Sunderland in recent years. They're just chancers hoping to intimidate people into buying stuff at a massive mark up.

Anyone had these lately? Had a knock on the door and some lad claiming to be a on probation selling a load of tat ... wanted ten quid for some cloths!

politely sent him on his way

my lass anxious the house will get done over now but I just think itā€™s a scam trying to get a couple of quid of the gullible and vulnerable

He knocked on mine recently, does every year, gives the same shite about not being able to get a job.

Police knocked on shortly after saying they had a report of someone dodgy knocking on doors

Happened quite a few times in our village, seem to try and intimidate elderly. One knocked on my door before Xmas, usual story about probation scheme etc. (Which police have already said is bollocks several times). The worrying thing was heā€™d been speaking to my elderly neighbour with Mental Health issues for almost half an hour, she came out and said he had suggested several times about going in to use toilet / get a drink (thankfully she sussed him).

When i asked him why he thought it was ok to interrogate an elderly woman with health problems he said ā€œwhat the fuck has it got to do with you, come outside if you want a fight, iā€™ll come back and burn your house downā€. Told him to fuck off, made sure neighbour was ok and shut the door. Police said heā€™d a group of them had threatened several people that afternoon.

My house is still here so šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø. Absolute scum

Last edited:
Check ya skin. Couldā€™ve been UV marked. That means a foreigner will rape you.
Remember this :lol:
Happened quite a few times in our village, seem to try and intimidate elderly. One knocked on my door before Xmas, usual story about probation scheme etc. (Which police have already said is bollocks several times). The worrying thing was heā€™d been speaking to my elderly neighbour with Mental Health issues for almost half an hour, she came out and said he had suggested several times about going in to use toilet / get a drink (thankfully she sussed him).

When i asked him why he thought it was ok to interrogate an elderly woman with health problems he said ā€œwhat the fuck has it got to do with you, come outside if you want a fight, iā€™ll come back and burn your house downā€. Told him to fuck off, made sure neighbour was ok and shut the door. Police said heā€™d a group of them had threatened several people that afternoon.

My house is still here so šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø. Absolute scum
Mate it's absolutely true that some people on probation do door to door selling of tat. As unlikely as it sounds.

Source: when I worked emergency services I had need to have direct dealings with them. In fact the first time it was to confirm whether this was even true because we had had a complaint. So in northumbria police area it is a legit scheme.

Last edited:
When i asked him why he thought it was ok to interrogate an elderly woman with health problems he said ā€œwhat the fuck has it got to do with you, come outside if you want a fight, iā€™ll come back and burn your house downā€.

Hopefully, if he's hitting out with that kind of patter, the law of averages will ensure he's in an ICU unit at some point in his 'career', when he bumps into the wrong person.

Nothing new sadly. About 12 year ago when I still living with my parents I saw some bloke looking into the living room when I was stood in the kitchen(on my lunch break as I only worked 5 minutes away back then).
I opened the door to ask what he was upto, he gave me a card saying he didnā€™t speak English and needed money to get back to Poland. I said to give me two minutes while smiling which he seemed to understand no bother. I then got the old family pet, a japanese akita, on the lead and opened the front door which is when she went f***ing mental trying to get at him. He put his hands to his face and backed out off the property. Ended up giving a description of him to the police as that week two of the neighbours(elderly) homes were broken into.

Remember this :lol:

Mate it's absolutely true that some people on probation do door to door selling of tat. As unlikely as it sounds.

Source: when I worked emergency services I had need to have direct dealings with them. In fact the first time it was to confirm whether this was even true because we had had a complaint. So in northumbria police area it is a legit scheme.

Police said it was a gang being sent out to sell on behalf of criminals. Theyā€™d checked several times with probation services in this area and it wasnā€™t owt to do with them. Might happen in some areas but not here
Hopefully, if he's hitting out with that kind of patter, the law of averages will ensure he's in an ICU unit at some point in his 'career', when he bumps into the wrong person.

No doubt, there were 5 of them so wouldnā€™t have been best idea for me to confront them :lol:

Last edited:
Itā€™s a group from Boro , unsure if peddling knocked off goods or eyeing up houses , either way itā€™s dodgy , been going on few year now
Had some lads from Middlesbrough down this way, about 10 years ago, selling dishcloths, tea towels etc, they were in a pub in Hartley wintney, giving it all the patter, ended buying a little first aid kit off them, just to get rid of them.

We have it here - always from Boro.
Clocked one mush climb over our garden fence during lockdown and wasnā€™t quick enough to catch him.

Amazingly he reappeared in the evening as I spotted him coming through our side gate . Me and the lad were on it this time .

Doubt we ll see the little scrote again.

I phoned the old bill once as they were knocking on every week, the perpal shairt kernts. Doing nowt wrong, other than selling shite at extortionate prices, and despite claimng to be ex-offenders, the day I called them
In none of them had a criminal record.

They got dropped off from in a white mini bus at the end of our street and just do the rounds. They are not marking your house to burgle you, they are just kernts trying to intimidate people into buying Ā£1 stuff for Ā£5.

We all know ex-offenders are out there offending again to buy gear.

Back