Door to door peddlers

CraigyLee

Striker
Anyone had these lately? Had a knock on the door and some lad claiming to be a on probation selling a load of tat ... wanted ten quid for some cloths!

politely sent him on his way

my lass anxious the house will get done over now but I just think it’s a scam trying to get a couple of quid of the gullible and vulnerable

Anyone had these lately? Had a knock on the door and some lad claiming to be a on probation selling a load of tat ... wanted ten quid for some cloths!

my lass anxious the house will get done over now but I just think it’s a scam trying to get a couple of quid of the gullible and vulnerable
We had a couple in the last few weeks.

Next door weren't in when they knocked on ours, they got robbed the same day.

Check your doorstep and the wall outside your house. They leave marks there to indicate if they think your house is vulnerable, if you are gullible, if you have a dog, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, fucked him off saying I had nowt in my wallet and never had cash in the house.

I thought the scam was just selling stuff that costs a quid for a tenner, which in some ways it is, but apparently its also about seeing what security you have, where you go for your cash and how much you seem to have to hand.

Hopefully my potlessness and angry dog will have had the desired affect.

Aye had them knock on my door too flogging cleaning products. I said no then they spotted my dog and tried to sell me dog leads and toys instead.

Had an energy supplier knock the other week too, my lass answered the door and gave them the time of day, god knows why. Anyways she walked into the sitting room and asks me if I want to change. I said no, so she went back to the door and told him and the cheeky fucka asked me to come to the door instead so he could have a discussion with me.

Strangely enough I had a young lad here last week with a rucksack on his back & an accent not local. Saying all he wanted was to try & get money together for a bed each night. If he was a wrong'n then he was one to look out for as he was confident. Mentioned my sign in outhouse saying "anyone found here at night will be found here in the morning" & I told him they would be too.
Pretty clean lad who once I turned away thought I should maybe have brought him in for a bite to eat,if only I knew he was genuine & I couldn't honestly say he was.
Not heard of anyone being burgled since,so maybe I was wrong..............

Check your doorstep and the wall outside your house. They leave marks there to indicate if they think your house is vulnerable, if you are gullible, if you have a dog, etc.
I've seen people (the more emotional folk in my friends lists) posting pictures of chalk marks on Facebook claiming it is code for where cats and dogs can be stolen. In a world where everyone has a smart phone able to take pictures and give a geolocations why would criminals revert to hobo symbols? Genuinely asking.

Strangely enough I had a young lad here last week with a rucksack on his back & an accent not local. Saying all he wanted was to try & get money together for a bed each night. If he was a wrong'n then he was one to look out for as he was confident. Mentioned my sign in outhouse saying "anyone found here at night will be found here in the morning" & I told him they would be too.
Pretty clean lad who once I turned away thought I should maybe have brought him in for a bite to eat,if only I knew he was genuine & I couldn't honestly say he was.
Not heard of anyone being burgled since,so maybe I was wrong..............
No, that’s what they want, they’ll be waiting for someone with Alzheimer’s who they can rob blind again and again

They’re called Nottingham knockers

totally illegal and they use it as an excuse to sport vulnerable people or unlocked households.

If they turn up again ring the police

did the lad have a mask on?

Last edited:
We had one round the other day he was very polite and not local.

The dogs were going mental in the other room and he seemed rather unnerved by them.

We've had them round here several times saying they are from Middlesbrough on a prison rehabilitation scheme. It's not true as no such scheme exists.

Back