Doing 42mph in a 30mph zone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was your delivery load like though? At the shop I’m talking about when it was busy you were getting 4 or 5 bags at time and expected to have them done in about half an hour. After you’d done 2 they were on the phone saying “where are you up to? put your foot down!” Then as soon as you got back in the shop they had another 4 ready and it was the same again “these are late - you’re gonna have to really fly on these”.
Impossible to do that obeying the limits like.
You wouldn’t last a night.

Takeaway delivery shops are not some special case that's above the law, or are you saying that cos your shop's busy the police will just let you do what speed you want?
Doesn't matter how busy or pushed you are IMO, 'flying' around on town/city streets is irresponsible and deadly.
If it's that busy then maybe your bosses should be thinking about taking on enough drivers to deliver their pizzas SAFELY and within the law, instead of just creaming off massive profits at innocent folk's expense.

Never had a crash or been a dick when driving I was just under the impression the road I was on was a 40 but it was a 30 - easy mistake to make. I had the bairn in the car so I wasn't driving stupidly or anything just caught on the wrong road at the wrong time is all.

Like I said , hopefully you'll now learn from that.
It wouldn't be acceptable to just say 'I didn't know the speed limit, easy mistake to make' if you'd just squashed some poor bugger that happened to be there.

Part of responsible driving is being aware of road signs/speed limits etc.... surely.

Last edited:

Takeaway delivery shops are not some special case that's above the law, or are you saying that cos your shop's busy the police will just let you do what speed you want?
Doesn't matter how busy or pushed you are IMO, 'flying' around on town/city streets is irresponsible and deadly.
If it's that busy then maybe your bosses should be thinking about taking on enough drivers to deliver their pizzas SAFELY and within the law, instead of just creaming off massive profits at innocent folk's expense.

It wouldn't be acceptable to just say 'I didn't know the speed limit, easy mistake to make' if you'd just squashed some poor bugger that happened to be there.

Part of responsible driving is being aware of road signs/speed limits etc.... surely.
Well yes but they don’t, so if you want the job you’re expected to break the law.

But it’s also a bit naive to pretend that everyone drives to the limits.

Why would ROSPA back something that results in more accidents?

I think this is a bit of black magic statistics mind. There’s something not quite right about it all.

It may suit them (or the individual in charge) to be seen to be doing something. Sitting back doing nothing doesn't inspire much support (or funding), and doesn't look as good on the CV as 'Implemented x'.

Not saying it is definitely true in this case but it definitely happens.

I know. You need to check your speed limits for vans, mine is only allowed 60mph on the a19.
That’s any LCV.
What's the relevance of the question though?

Am I proper careful about what speed I'm doing all the time? No, not at all.

I do have a bit of a gripe with people who think they're above both the speed limit and being caught speeding.

Am I guilty of speeding? Possibly. I couldn't have any complaints if I was knowingly speeding. Would be a bit shit if I didn't realise I was mind.
You’ve admitted countless time’s that you do the limit plus 10% so you know you regularly speed you little tinker.

What's the relevance of the question though?

Am I proper careful about what speed I'm doing all the time? No, not at all.

I do have a bit of a gripe with people who think they're above both the speed limit and being caught speeding.

Am I guilty of speeding? Possibly. I couldn't have any complaints if I was knowingly speeding. Would be a bit shit if I didn't realise I was mind.
As I thought - a speed demon.

True, in my defence the road starts at 40mph then after a small roundabout it must change and we both missed the sign and it is a road I have never been on before as I never need to go that way normally.

Starting to think speed limits are meaningless.

Do 70mph on a motorway and you'll be the slowest car on it.

Do 30mph in a built up and you'll have a queue behind you.

Do 60mph on a single carriageway A road and you'll have an Audi up your arse.

Starting to think speed limits are meaningless.

Do 70mph on a motorway and you'll be the slowest car on it.

Do 30mph in a built up and you'll have a queue behind you.

Do 60mph on a single carriageway A road and you'll have an Audi up your arse.

That's not really true though, I only ever really see traffic building up behind anyone when they are below the limits. The constant 40's are the biggest f***ing idiots though, 40 in a 60 then hit a town where children play and cross the road and continue on at 40. The amount of people that do this is ridiculous, it's as if they drive at a speed they feel safe at and fuck everyone else

What's the fastest that you have ever driven?

Pointless question, I've done well in excess of 120mph on more than 1 occasion. I wasn't speeding though

Last edited:
That's not really true though, I only ever really see traffic building up behind anyone when they are below the limits. The constant 40's are the biggest f***ing idiots though, 40 in a 60 then hit a town where children play and cross the road and continue on at 40. The amount of people that do this is ridiculous, it's as if they drive at a speed they feel safe at and fuck everyone else
This. i use the a68 most days down to bish and theres generally always a couple doing 40-45 on the 60 stretches then dont slow down though tow law

That’s any LCV.

You’ve admitted countless time’s that you do the limit plus 10% so you know you regularly speed you little tinker.

Maybe.

I pulled into the outside lane to overtake someone the other day only to find as soon as I did it someone was right up my arse, going very, very fast. Wasn’t much space to pull back in so had to put my foot down a bit.

Maybe my fault, I had checked my mirror and blind spot but he was going well, well in excess of the limit.

Pointless question, I've done well in excess of 120mph on more than 1 occasion. I wasn't speeding though
Doing 70mph on the A1 or A19 is actually difficult. You end up in a no man's land between the 56mph inside lane and the 80mph outside lane. No wonder no one does 70.

I blame the supposed 10% leeway rule. We've become conditioned to believe 33, 44, 66, 77 are OK by the police so naturally people add a few more on cos they're "only breaking it a little"

So you end up a mentality that 37, 48, 70, 80+ are "alright really"

Doing 70mph on the A1 or A19 is actually difficult. You end up in a no man's land between the 56mph inside lane and the 80mph outside lane. No wonder no one does 70.

I blame the supposed 10% leeway rule. We've become conditioned to believe 33, 44, 66, 77 are OK by the police so naturally people add a few more on cos they're "only breaking it a little"

So you end up a mentality that 37, 48, 70, 80+ are "alright really"
The single biggest reason you’ll struggle to do 70 on most dual carriageways is because a lorry doing 55.6 mph pulls out to overtake a lorry doing 55.2 mph. Those sections where they have long graduated uphill sections where they stop lorries overtaking are a godsend.

So not pointless then.

Doesn't prove anything so yes it's pointless. I've done incredibly fast speeds, doesn't mean I drive like a twat, time and place needs to be taken into account as well for it to hold any sort of relevance

Doesn't prove anything so yes it's pointless. I've done incredibly fast speeds, doesn't mean I drive like a twat, time and place needs to be taken into account as well for it to hold any sort of relevance
Other than the maximum speed driven. Which is what I asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back