Doctor Who

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoring the rather boring tiresome ramblings, has anyone else noticed the Sonic Screwdriver overkill? :rolleyes:

It has been something annoying me since Tennent. It is just a magic device that does everything.

I was watching a Pertwee Dalek story the other day and when locked in a room they emptied their pockets to see what they could use, he said "Hmm, sonic screwdriver", then put it to one side.

A couple of weeks ago when they found the alien space craft hidden in India, she even waved her screwdriver at the console to operate it. Why not just press the buttons. It just feels like lazy writing to me. The Doctor is supposed to be a scientist who figures things out. Now it is:
What is that? - wave the sonic
Can I open that? - wave the sonic
Have I got a weapon for this alien? - wave the sonic
How do I fly this spacecraft? - wave the sonic
How do I operate this computer? - wave the sonic
How do I change the function of this device? - wave the sonic

I thought they were starting to grow out of it with the John Hurt anniversary story, when he said "It is a screwdriver, what are you going to do? Build a cabinet at it?". But no, once we got back to regular episodes we were back to the Doctor being a far less brilliant character but has a nice gadget that sets him/her apart from everyone else.

[QUOTE="bigmarlon, post: 28725035, member: 42923”] Americans stuggle to understand the Yorkshire accent.

I work/live in Yorkshire and me and a Scottish work colleague figured out how to say that the tin model of (Herget’s) Tin Tin was absent from the tin within which it had previously been placed.

It goes Tin Tin-Tin t’in’t in tin.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I’m replying to mysel because something stupendous has happened today.

I’m in an office in Basingstoke and on top of the filing cabinet is a biscuit tin. It has a design on the lid based on Tin Tin. But there isn’t a model of the character, made of tin inside it.

So the tin Tin Tin in’tin the Tin Tin tin

It has been something annoying me since Tennent. It is just a magic device that does everything.

I was watching a Pertwee Dalek story the other day and when locked in a room they emptied their pockets to see what they could use, he said "Hmm, sonic screwdriver", then put it to one side.

A couple of weeks ago when they found the alien space craft hidden in India, she even waved her screwdriver at the console to operate it. Why not just press the buttons. It just feels like lazy writing to me. The Doctor is supposed to be a scientist who figures things out. Now it is:
What is that? - wave the sonic
Can I open that? - wave the sonic
Have I got a weapon for this alien? - wave the sonic
How do I fly this spacecraft? - wave the sonic
How do I operate this computer? - wave the sonic
How do I change the function of this device? - wave the sonic

I thought they were starting to grow out of it with the John Hurt anniversary story, when he said "It is a screwdriver, what are you going to do? Build a cabinet at it?". But no, once we got back to regular episodes we were back to the Doctor being a far less brilliant character but has a nice gadget that sets him/her apart from everyone else.
Presumably there are official Dr Who sonic screwdrivers selling by the bucketload as stocking fillers for Christmas?

I don’t mind the new Doctor, but the storylines have been awful.
Aye. It's been more like a tour of a gcse year 12 syllabus.

It still feels like a Dr Who spin-off and I'm waiting for her met up and be included in a proper episode.

Ignoring the rather boring tiresome ramblings, has anyone else noticed the Sonic Screwdriver overkill? :rolleyes:
It's not just the bloody screwdriver, can we not do without the over-the-head flourish and just point the damned thing.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it, but I think they're building up to something.
It's an entirely new platform practically.

Kerblam! was a good episode. In fact, Kerblam onwards have been good.

I'm enjoying it, but I think they're building up to something.
It's an entirely new platform practically.

Kerblam! was a good episode. In fact, Kerblam onwards have been good.
Agreed. I thought the last one was good and the kids loves the Pting alien. I think Jodie is good the problem is the character she is being asked to play isn't like the doctor. It's a bit like Colin Baker a great choice but with dodgy scripts and poor direction.

Can’t believe grown men watch this shite

Be a dear and do tell us what you watch so we can take a dump on it

Agreed. I thought the last one was good and the kids loves the Pting alien. I think Jodie is good the problem is the character she is being asked to play isn't like the doctor. It's a bit like Colin Baker a great choice but with dodgy scripts and poor direction.

I'm expecting a big finish to this series.
I thought they started with a kick by bumping someone off in the first episode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back