Disposable Income

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Should check but I don't ,id say non ,pretty much what I earn goes out but the majority of what I spend is in that "out" .food,fuel,etc goes on a card and I pay in full every month .
I can go a week without spending any money as i have food and drink in the house paid for . I take bait into work and don't go out regular .

i get cash coming in through the year from gigs and share dividends which acts as a buffer and i just dip in if need be but there's always a good lump in there

Once rent/mortgage, food, fuel, insurance, loans, other financial commitments are taken out of your bank - how much are you left with that's 'disposable'?

I know it's all relative to how much you earn & the whole 'one man's penny is another man's pound' jazz - but just curious to see what the average disposable income is for your boozing/leisure activities and what not.

Don't know mate. Watching your cashflow is for paupers, etc. etc.

A pet hate of mine is how terms have been created to encourage people to spent every penny in their pockets.

Calling it disposable (literally to throw something away), or spending-money (mostly on holidays) really does put people to a mindset that it has to be used up. You see kids being encouraged to spend every penny on shite before coming home from holidays, its mental.

This is how, 20-odd years later, we have a nation of debt, not a nation of savers.

Bollocks.

If I put an empty tin of beans in a cupboard, I haven't disposed of it. That was the (recycling) bin is for.

Ive kind of always thought that aout gameshows. That when someone wins money its "so what are you going to spend it on" in that it 'has' to be spent rather than just improving your current financial situation.

No one ever responds with pay down mortgage or top up pension.

Which I think if i did win say £20k, I probably would just invest half of it, then maybe splurge the other half on a holiday.

Reactions: PTR
Ive kind of always thought that aout gameshows. That when someone wins money its "so what are you going to spend it on" in that it 'has' to be spent rather than just improving your current financial situation.

No one ever responds with pay down mortgage or top up pension.

Which I think if i did win say £20k, I probably would just invest half of it, then maybe splurge the other half on a holiday.
I don't think they're legally bound to spend it on exactly what they state on the show.

I don't think they're legally bound to spend it on exactly what they state on the show.

Anar that man. But just find it odd that there is this expectation about spending it rather than the boring sensible option.

I'd say the basic guideline to be "comfortable" is 33% on each: bill's/living/saving. That's what I've always bore in mind no matter what I'm earning at the time; I suppose it's called living within your means. Not always possible I know! But if you are single then it's doable, even on min wage. Key is to always save money, even if it is a dribble, just don't break the habit. With regards to disposable income, I've never had a huge amount raising 2 boys as a single parent, but now the lads are soon off to uni, so last year I went and treated myself and bought the car I've always wanted since I was a kid, a 2 seater Porsche. Cayman S. I'm on a mission until next summer to pay off the rest of the car, so working every day at moment. Don't spend much on drink, but a lot on curry, low maintenance. Going snowboarding to the Alps next week with my eldest :D

65% pays for all the household bills minus the youngest nursery which the Mrs pays. Out of the remainder half goes on my direct debits which are gym, kids JISA and my ISA as well as any credit card charges the Mrs has racked up. I put the remaining 20% or so in my Monzo account for day to day spends and if anything is left at month end it goes in to pot to pay for lads weekends so the Mrs can’t complain.

I'd say the basic guideline to be "comfortable" is 33% on each: bill's/living/saving. That's what I've always bore in mind no matter what I'm earning at the time; I suppose it's called living within your means. Not always possible I know! But if you are single then it's doable, even on min wage. Key is to always save money, even if it is a dribble, just don't break the habit. With regards to disposable income, I've never had a huge amount raising 2 boys as a single parent, but now the lads are soon off to uni, so last year I went and treated myself and bought the car I've always wanted since I was a kid, a 2 seater Porsche. Cayman S. I'm on a mission until next summer to pay off the rest of the car, so working every day at moment. Don't spend much on drink, but a lot on curry, low maintenance. Going snowboarding to the Alps next week with my eldest :D

If you’ve bought a Porsche as a present for seeing the kids off to uni, I don’t think your idea of “never had a huge amount of disposable income” is a bit different from most...but either way congrats on getting a very, very nice car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back