Disposable Income

Status
Not open for further replies.

A pet hate of mine is how terms have been created to encourage people to spent every penny in their pockets.

Calling it disposable (literally to throw something away), or spending-money (mostly on holidays) really does put people to a mindset that it has to be used up. You see kids being encouraged to spend every penny on shite before coming home from holidays, its mental.

This is how, 20-odd years later, we have a nation of debt, not a nation of savers.

Bollocks.

If I put an empty tin of beans in a cupboard, I haven't disposed of it. That was the (recycling) bin is for.

It is for me though. Everything I 'need', which includes savings and investments goes out at the start of the month. That includes grocery money which doesn't all get spent. Everything else is for fun.

It is for me though. Everything I 'need', which includes savings and investments goes out at the start of the month. That includes grocery money which doesn't all get spent. Everything else is for fun.

Similar to how we work it, joint account doesn't get touched apart from for bills including food & petrol, we won't use it all but it just builds up over time.
I know but @Helmerroids felt uneasy since its "personal" :)

My 50% disposable (after house/bills//credit card/phone/car/fuel/food) is about £1200. Whatever is left over is hoyed in savings

One of the reasons so many people are in debt is because nobody talks finance, everyone just struggles and fumbles along in the dark.

Similar to how we work it, joint account doesn't get touched apart from for bills including food & petrol, we won't use it all but it just builds up over time.
We stick 2600 quid (combined) into the joint account every month which covers all necessity non-fun stuff. It all gets spent every month. :(

One of the reasons so many people are in debt is because nobody talks finance, everyone just struggles and fumbles along in the dark.
Should be part of school curriculum. Make it mandatory to teach people budgeting skills.

Bigger social issue around wanting things now and hoying it on the credit card instead of saving up for it

Roughly 35-40% is “disposable” but this is closer to 20-25% when taking into account money I don’t have committed but don’t want to stop spending.

In theory I could get by on £1200 a month. It would be hard, but doable. That’s just over NMW I think.
You could get by on £1200 disposable or total?

Should be part of school curriculum. Make it mandatory to teach people budgeting skills.

Bigger social issue around wanting things now and hoying it on the credit card instead of saving up for it

Completely agree, Martin Lewis is bang on about educating kids about money. That’s a lot different to asking what you do/don’t have though.

I was brought up to think it’s a crass subject to talk about openly. Lot of people like to tell all and sundry nowadays, directly or indirectly, which I still find odd.

We stick 2600 quid (combined) into the joint account every month which covers all necessity non-fun stuff. It all gets spent every month. :(
That seems quite high.

Obviously depends where you live and how much your mortgage & bills are etc.

Once rent/mortgage, food, fuel, insurance, loans, other financial commitments are taken out of your bank - how much are you left with that's 'disposable'?

I know it's all relative to how much you earn & the whole 'one man's penny is another man's pound' jazz - but just curious to see what the average disposable income is for your boozing/leisure activities and what not.

Depends on how my Sunderland support spending is classified.

You could get by on £1200 disposable or total?

The total of my rent, essential house bills, car running costs, and daily necessities is around £1,200. There’s little wiggle room there mind, and no capacity to save if that was my salary.

Moving closer to work could get that under £1,100.

That seems quite high.

Obviously depends where you live and how much your mortgage & bills are etc.
Agreed. :lol: Car, loan repayments, mortgage, general household bills, food.......

Hopefully get it decreased a fair bit when we come to remortgage later in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back