Disposable Income

Nee idea, we’ve always worked on the principal that one of our jobs covers the mortgages and bills so if one of us lost a job and tenants moved out we’d still be ok.
We aren’t really big spenders anyway, holidays and stuff for the nipper seems to be the big disposable expense, but little un gets a monthly allowance so I guess she’s in the fixed bills category now till she goes to uni or whatever then we get hit with her rent/ running another car etc

Spend about 40% of income on rent. Bills and food probably bring that up to 60%. Waste the rest on pints and putting bits away in the savings account.

Never really worked it out, fortunate enough to not have to worry about it at the minute.

I have about 30% of my wage left over after all bills/food etc are paid and I put almost every penny of it into paying off the mortgage. Boring but it means I'll have an extra £500 a month to piss away in a few years time.

The problem with all of these threads is that some people don’t understand what’s disposable. If you have spare money and choose to save it, that counts as disposable.
No doubt the same people who say they can’t come out cos they’re skint when they have thousands in their savings account. Skint means having zero in any account.
Is having cable telly or expensive phone contract etc part of disposable income because you don't really need them?
Why do people feel the need to ask, or divulge financial information, so weird.

Personal finance, the clue is in the name.
You sound like you have something to hide? :lol:

Last edited:
The things I really need to pay for like gas/lec, c tax, tv licence and water come to around £300 a month. I consider the rest as disposable income. I could get a cheap sim for phone etc.

Back