Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on the side-effects, I chose to persevere and I'm now seven days in with what I consider the worst effects (agitation, insomnia, disassociation) having mostly passed. It's a real help to be able to hear from other people about their experiences and know that the medication isn't just making me loopy.

I don’t take sertraline but I’ve been taking paroxetine for anxiety since my early teens. I’m now 27 and can’t come off them as the withdrawal symptoms are too intense. If I could go back and deal with the shit on my own I would chose that each and every day. Steer clear if you can mate and try find other ways as the negatives outweigh the positives imo.

I've been on and off SSRIs since about 18 myself, I'm lucky in that I only found I got the "brain zaps" and very occasional passing vertigo when coming off them. Have you tried a very drawn out tapering process? I did this the last time I came off them over a period of a couple of months and found at the end I was off them without any of the usual SSRI withdrawal symptoms.

Just had a quick read and it suggests that paroxetine is particularly bad for SSRI discontinuation syndrome, could you speak to your doctor about switching to something with a longer half-life and then taper down off that? You might find it an easier process.

Nah I had no intention of seeing someone professionally but I was lucky that I had a couple of really good mates and a very understanding missus to talk to.

Even that took months before I said anything but it was a relief when I did.

I was on about this to someone yesterday, bottling stuff up is like trying to put a fire out with a syringe.
Anyone can listen to you, they don't even have to care but just getting things out in the open can and does bring about massive change.

I bet it's made a huge difference to your perspective on how you go about sorting issues and in a sense, self help got you back to where you needed to be.

The way I look at it, someone in a state of despair won't be thinking, 'I'm going to see a counsellor' when put on a list, they will almost certainly be thinking, 'I've got to wait 2 months to see someone', not good.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on the side-effects, I chose to persevere and I'm now seven days in with what I consider the worst effects (agitation, insomnia, disassociation) having mostly passed. It's a real help to be able to hear from other people about their experiences and know that the medication isn't just making me loopy.

I've been on and off SSRIs since about 18 myself, I'm lucky in that I only found I got the "brain zaps" and very occasional passing vertigo when coming off them. Have you tried a very drawn out tapering process? I did this the last time I came off them over a period of a couple of months and found at the end I was off them without any of the usual SSRI withdrawal symptoms.

Just had a quick read and it suggests that paroxetine is particularly bad for SSRI discontinuation syndrome, could you speak to your doctor about switching to something with a longer half-life and then taper down off that? You might find it an easier process.

I’m going to have to have a word with him. Problem is the last time I tried to come off them he tried to taper me off in about two weeks. I think it’s going to have to be a long drawn out taper like you say.

I'm sure, 234 pages in, that someone has mentioned Samaritans already. But on the off-chance, for anyone who thinks it might help to talk to someone about their depression, I just wanted to share the contact number: 116 123.

If you don't like phone calls, you can also text, email, visit in person or even write a letter. Contact details on the website www.samaritans.org.

Talking saves lives.

I'm sure, 234 pages in, that someone has mentioned Samaritans already. But on the off-chance, for anyone who thinks it might help to talk to someone about their depression, I just wanted to share the contact number: 116 123.

If you don't like phone calls, you can also text, email, visit in person or even write a letter. Contact details on the website www.samaritans.org.

Talking saves lives.
Good call - literally. It’s a free call as well and if I recall correctly it doesn’t show on itemised phone bills either.

Not really depression related, but i was in hospital 2 weekends ago due to mental health issues. Unplugged myself from the matrix for a few days afterwards too, that definitely helped, it's something I would recommend to anyone.

Feeling much better now. Just need to keep focussing on what is good for me.

I’m going to have to have a word with him. Problem is the last time I tried to come off them he tried to taper me off in about two weeks. I think it’s going to have to be a long drawn out taper like you say.

From my experience two weeks is no where near long enough, the doctor should know better than that, especially so if you've been on them that long. As an example, my taper went something like this:

10mg per day for 2 weeks
5 mg per day for 2 weeks
5mg every other day for 2 weeks

I don't know whether the 5 every other day achieved anything but I got off them without any side effects.

Talking saves lives.
Bump, quote, bump. Talk it out folks, and the Samaritans will always listen.

Well, another week down. The initial side effects of the Prozac wore off pretty quick thankfully.
Still have a persistent headache though, although mostly very mild. I guess I need to give it a few more weeks?

Feeling a lot better though. Had a very productive weekend, which is always good.

Its nice to be able to type things on here :)

anyone about?
Hope you are ok this morning?

Last edited:
Hi all, First time I have posted on this page...I didn't know it existed until someone mentioned it on the football thread a few weeks ago. I suffered from depression and anxiety some years ago (reactive depression following a loss) and struggled for around 3 years. I'm ok now, but with more insight, I do realise this is something I have perhaps been prone too throughout my adult life, although I'm lucky in that it is mostly manageable for me. I'm a female, however I suspect the majority of posters on this website are male. There is a charity in south durham (Shildon/Bishop/Spennymoor area) whose focus is to support males with their mental health and increase awareness. Some people may wish to take a look at the facebook page here ManHealth. (I have nothing to do with this charity am just aware of it and thought others may benefit from things it can provide). I also haven't read the whole thread so I apologise if people are already aware of it.

Hi all, First time I have posted on this page...I didn't know it existed until someone mentioned it on the football thread a few weeks ago. I suffered from depression and anxiety some years ago (reactive depression following a loss) and struggled for around 3 years. I'm ok now, but with more insight, I do realise this is something I have perhaps been prone too throughout my adult life, although I'm lucky in that it is mostly manageable for me. I'm a female, however I suspect the majority of posters on this website are male. There is a charity in south durham (Shildon/Bishop/Spennymoor area) whose focus is to support males with their mental health and increase awareness. Some people may wish to take a look at the facebook page here ManHealth. (I have nothing to do with this charity am just aware of it and thought others may benefit from things it can provide). I also haven't read the whole thread so I apologise if people are already aware of it.
I know the founder of that charity, Paul, they do some fantastic work for men who need to talk. I believe it’s peer-to-peer support so no counselling.

Reactions: TAD
Very useful info I will pass it on to mental health services in that area so they can sign post.. Thank you

I had a thought in the car on Friday: I'm sorry if anyone thinks all I do is to come on this thread to talk about myself, then leave.

It is a 2nd account, so I don't "see" this thread normally unless I'm minded to specifically log in to post.
At the same time, I honestly think I'd be terrible at giving any advice anyway, so perhaps this is the best way. Sorry if that comes across as a bit selfish.

Typing things out really does help. It focuses me on what I really think and feel at the time, rather than "thinking" I understand the constant whirl of things in my head.

Also, @The Rat hope you are ok, I didn't get a reply to my last message to you?

I'm normally one of those people who doesn't like to talk about what's going on anyway, so talking about it is hard, although I will look to talk to me mate in the next couple of weeks or so.

All the best by the way.

Thought I had removed a couple of the main causes from last time, which I mainly put down to knocking about with the wrong crowd and going out on the lash pretty much every weekend, which in hindsight was never going to solve anything. Have a pretty addictive personality, so where I can I've tried to remove myself from situations where I'm likely to drink to excess or if I can gamble away a fortune.

Me best mate has been absolutely immense, had some great laughs together but always there for me when I need to talk.

Not a couch potato exactly, but probably don't exercise as much as I should, although I do take the dog for a walk most nights after work. Have the odd spell where I'm down the gym pretty much every night but haven't been down in a while, will look to get back into that.

Probably 5 years late, get the dog out early on a morning,get another dog. Go on longer walks, early (5 ish) its a great time to get your head sorted, hope you got it sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back