Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's loads going on and it's no wonder you feel overwhelmed by everything. Concentrate on the bits on you can control like the eating and sleeping for now and try and get that sorted. I know the other stuff is a worry though. Take care xx
There are things I can change and things I can't - I can rationalise that side of it, but I know I'm already on the downward slope and know what I need to do. Been here before and need that little help and support that the medication brings me. I know it'll take 4/6 weeks before i get full benefit, which funnily enough is also when she should arrive (5 weeks on Saturday)

Think I'll try and get into see the doctor today, try and get back on the medication to help steady the ship.

Been getting 4/4.5 hours sleep a night now for the past couple of months (one of my tells), I've become more withdrawn from interacting with people (to the stage where I'm seeing the kids once a week and even then I'm so wound up and irritable it's unreal), my diet is becoming chaotic (not eating till after 4/5 some days cos my stomachs upset, then wolfing stuff down, stomach rebels)
Doing my 5 areas and mindfulness is giving me some clarity to see what I'm doing wrong, but it feels like such a sheer effort to face each day it's exhausting.
I know it's because of the factors in my life that are ongoing (Job - looming redundancy, wedding coming up, fiance moving here from overseas and she won't working to start with). Some of these things can be changed, some can't, but the worry is at the stage where even the slightest setback feels like it's a) end of it all and b) proving what i knew, that it was all going to go wrong regardless. The latter is what's really standing out when I read my diary back.
At least you recognise it which is a good thing.
Little changes.... Break it down into manageable bits

At least you recognise it which is a good thing.
Little changes.... Break it down into manageable bits
Took me a very long time to gain the ability to examine my own thinking and know when it isn't right. Just writing that down made me realise how much I'd slipped (theres actually more that I didn't add). Today is one step, I'd already been doing the cognitive bit but it's not quite there at the moment. Was quite cathartic just getting it out from in my head.

This a million times!

It doesn't matter how you do it or how silly you think you'll look saying things etc., just get it out!
I see a couneler about depression/anxiety and I just feel its doing no good you mean I answer all the questions I can but iv had physical problems sickness problem with stomach etc which may contribute to mental side as well as struggling for work etc, but the woman just keeps asking why im there why mention the physical side. she wants me to write a diary as to when im sick even though iv said there is no particular patters shes suggesting doing something called a recovery college where you can do certain activities to try and help I just don't feel its generally something I want to do.

I see a couneler about depression/anxiety and I just feel its doing no good you mean I answer all the questions I can but iv had physical problems sickness problem with stomach etc which may contribute to mental side as well as struggling for work etc, but the woman just keeps asking why im there why mention the physical side. she wants me to write a diary as to when im sick even though iv said there is no particular patters shes suggesting doing something called a recovery college where you can do certain activities to try and help I just don't feel its generally something I want to do.

There's no one size fits all. Some people find things useful and some don't. It's a case of trial and error to find the best way of working through things for you.
You could try the recovery college with an open mind and see what happens. It might surprise you and you find it useful. If you don't like it then don't go back.

Or if you really don't want to go, then don't go. There's no shame in saying you don't want to do it.

What ideally do you think would help you the most? It's ok to say dunno as well!

There's no one size fits all. Some people find things useful and some don't. It's a case of trial and error to find the best way of working through things for you.
You could try the recovery college with an open mind and see what happens. It might surprise you and you find it useful. If you don't like it then don't go back.

Or if you really don't want to go, then don't go. There's no shame in saying you don't want to do it.

What ideally do you think would help you the most? It's ok to say dunno as well!
true I guess Im just always sceptical starting new things im not sure what would be best to do I guess that's the problem I know one thing im fed up being constantly tired all the time doesn't matter if I sleep 4 hrs or 8

If you don't like the counsellor then see another one if you can.

Counsellors can be pretty pump anyway IMO.

Psychodynamic therapy is more productive in my experience.

But what it comes down to is the counsellor isn't there to fix you, they're there to help you fix yourself. So you need to see someone you have confidence in and who click with. Most good therapists should let you see them initially, before starting work, so you can have a chat about your needs and desires and can progress from there (or not).

If the sickness problem is important to you and she's not letting you talk it through she's probably not too good at her job.

Is it common to pile weight on when taking fluoxetine? I've been taking them since around April last year and I've put a load of timber on.

Is it common to pile weight on when taking fluoxetine? I've been taking them since around April last year and I've put a load of timber on.
Yes it's a common side affect I believe.

Can anyone recommend any self help book for anxiety or specifically, stopping negative thoughts?

It depends what the thoughts are about but I can recommend a book called 'the confidence to be yourself' tackles the feelings of anxiety in social situations and self questioning
Mine is more to do with health. I can be ill normally, like a headache or something, and if it persists I start telling myself it's something sinister, I whip myself into a state which can last weeks and weeks. I just can't banish the irrational thoughts

Mine is more to do with health. I can be ill normally, like a headache or something, and if it persists I start telling myself it's something sinister, I whip myself into a state which can last weeks and weeks. I just can't banish the irrational thoughts

I'm so glad I don't have that with the health problems I have I'd be in a right state.

My mum suffers from similar anxiety to that , she is having great results from CBT at the moment but I'm guessing you've tried that already ?

I'm so glad I don't have that with the health problems I have I'd be in a right state.

My mum suffers from similar anxiety to that , she is having great results from CBT at the moment but I'm guessing you've tried that already ?
I've not tried it. I've just kind of fumbled through it for the last 15 years I guess. At the minute I'm quite obsessive and it's getting me down but these periods pass. They do coincidentally always tend to happen Xmas time. I don't think I'm depressed but I'm definitely anxious. The doc has given me pills which I've stopped taking and I'm trying to overcome it with exercise , diet and supplements. The supplements have really worked this last year from a positivity point of view.

I've not tried it. I've just kind of fumbled through it for the last 15 years I guess. At the minute I'm quite obsessive and it's getting me down but these periods pass. They do coincidentally always tend to happen Xmas time. I don't think I'm depressed but I'm definitely anxious. The doc has given me pills which I've stopped taking and I'm trying to overcome it with exercise , diet and supplements. The supplements have really worked this last year from a positivity point of view.

Maybe something to look into ? With mam she tends to overreact to others becoming ill as she's in great health for her age. Things like if I don't reply to a text within a certain time and then the subsequent phone calls are unanswered she works herself into such a panic convinced I'm in hospital etc , there is a degree of reality there but her reaction is very extreme when I could just be having a nap. It's like she takes others issues and makes them massive issues for herself and then becomes obsessive about it. The CBT is teaching her coping skills to reduce the anxiety and I've noticed hugely improved coping skills in her recently

I'm having a rough one today, had some news about one of my kids yesterday (nothing too serious and nothing i wasn't expecting) but it's hit me like a truck. My head is just spinning with thought of guilt and blaming myself and all kinds of just mentally beating myself up. I've been in tears a few times and I know i need to do something, get out of the house or write in my blog or just do anything productive but it's just so hard to pull out the motivation to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back