Depression

@becs and fellow Sunday clubbers.

Had a wobble due to an anniversary but also had a very nice thing happen (my graduation). Just back from that, got the Sunday blues a bit as back to reality tomorrow.

Congratulations on the graduation missis.... Or should that be Dr Missis ? Missis (Hons) ??

Good to *see* you.

Are you veg growing this year ?
Thank you, and nice to see you petal. Possibly not doing the veg as we're pondering a move.

Sunday Club: how's everyone doing?

Met the lovely @mackem_jo2 for a cuppa and a natter and really enjoyed it :cool:

Was quite ill for most of last year and jobs have built up around the house, so I've decided 2017 is going to be the year of decluttering and fixing things! Replaced a toilet seat with broken hinges on Friday so no more sitting braced on it in case the seat slid off :lol:
Pulling round a bit from last weeks wobble. Still a bit short on the temper and a bit short on concentration but a lot calmer and not as bleak. Still not sure what kicked it off this time but it hit me a bit harder and took me a bit more by surprise at how hard it did hit.

Yay - well done. Bask in the glory of that and forget the Sunday blues.

How's the ninja project going?
Yes, did some baby steps last week, thought of this place - baby steps v important. And thank you :)

How much has anyone told their kids about their depression ?

Age-dependent obvs, just my 17 year old has had a series of workshops in school last week about depression, so this morning I bit the bullet and told her that I had it.
And had had it for over 20 years... Told her she could talk to me about anything, and if she ever felt 'wrong' I would listen

It's different for me as we all got counselling when my marriage broke up, so the older two are aware it through that. The older two (now aged 20 and 17) know I have had it. The youngest (9) doesn't know but she does talk to me about personal stuff, so I don't think she would bottle anything up.

Mine know, youngest is 10 and they've known for a few years. I just explained that I have something called bipolar. I described feelings as being like a see saw in your head, one side is sad and the other is happy but most of the time you're kind of in the middle. I said that having bipolar means that mams seesaw is a bit broken, sometimes when I get sad it goes further down than it should and can get stuck down there and sometimes when I'm happy it goes further up than it should and can get stuck there too. I also said that I find it tricky to balance in the middle too. They have totally taken it on board, I've told them that it's nothing to do with anything they said or do.

Now if I'm having a tough time they'll often just ask if my seesaw is getting stuck again and if I say yes they'll just give me a big hug and get on with their day. They don't see it any different from when my asthma plays up or any other physical illness, I'm so proud of them.

How much has anyone told their kids about their depression ?

Age-dependent obvs, just my 17 year old has had a series of workshops in school last week about depression, so this morning I bit the bullet and told her that I had it.
And had had it for over 20 years... Told her she could talk to me about anything, and if she ever felt 'wrong' I would listen
Interesting question. I get 'black dog' but wouldn't call it deprerssion. My Mam sufffered for years with depression (didn't want to leave the house but we lived in Hendon so it didn't seem that weird) but never talked to us about it. My 'kids' are now both around 30 (I was a child bride) and both very susceptible to a depressed state of mind. I've never really looked in to it but wonder whether it can be passed on through either a nature / nurture path. For the past few years we've been very open with each other and it's incredible how much it helps.

Checking in.

I'm now a Dad to a baby girl. She's really beautiful and I can't believe mine.

I'm struggling still with my anxiety and I think the lack of sleep isn't helping. I just really don't want to let my wife or her down and feel like a bit of a failure at the moment.

I'm throwing myself in to it and making sure I keep on with the chores but still having a hard time mentally adjusting. Hoping it's just the shellshock of it all happening.

Got a therapy session on Tuesday again to talk things through. Hope you're all well.

Checking in.

I'm struggling still with my anxiety and I think the lack of sleep isn't helping. I just really don't want to let my wife or her down and feel like a bit of a failure at the moment.

I'm throwing myself in to it and making sure I keep on with the chores but still having a hard time mentally adjusting. Hoping it's just the shellshock of it all happening.

Got a therapy session on Tuesday again to talk things through. Hope you're all well.

Congratulations mate, hope the new arrival and your wife are both doing well.

I'm sure that most new parents have the initial fear and shellshock, but the fact that you want to do your best for them and you keep trying to help them and yourself is proof that you're gonna be a cracking dad. Just keep turning up marra, the rest will fall into place.

Checking in.

Awww that is brilliant news. I'm so pleased for you. Love and congratulations to all xx

You're not a failure. You're keeping on with the chores and that will mean so much to your missus even though might not say. She'll struggle with her body for the first few days till everything settles down, so any TLC would be very much appreciated - even if it's just making her a cup of tea or watching the baby so she can have a nap or a bath. Keep going pet and hope Tuesday goes ok xx

Back