Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back home. The doctor say to try and ease myself back to work. We talked about setting little goals and targets. As faith would have it, an MMA & Boxing gym has opened up next door to the doctors and I know the bloke who runs it. His set up a men's kickboxing class for people who just want to get out and exercise. So I might sign up. That can be one of my targets.

Errr not might - you will sign up for it ;)

Exercise is good. Gets all the endorphins going and often they can have an uplifting effect. And if not, you can always just punch/kick the shit out of stuff which will help too :D

Just back home. The doctor say to try and ease myself back to work. We talked about setting little goals and targets. As faith would have it, an MMA & Boxing gym has opened up next door to the doctors and I know the bloke who runs it. His set up a men's kickboxing class for people who just want to get out and exercise. So I might sign up. That can be one of my targets.
Good lad. Make it happen !!!!

That sounds really good and something really positive to invest in.

I know its cliched, but this time of year really is difficult. Not just for those of us who have anxiety or depression, but for every one. Unfortunately with the big highs of Christmas, comes the lows of a New Year.

Dont let your thoughts manifest. As hard as it is to get up, get out of bed and get ready. Go out and visit some one. Pop down the shops. Ring a friend. Post on here. Just make contact with people and interact with those outside of your own head.

Good advice. When I hit very low points, I tend to end up sending a lot of texts to friends, nothing deep just trying to get a bit of banter going as I feel alone and am desperate for something to pick me up. Usually it will improve my mood for a short period as my mind is taken off things and something funny will be said in the exchange. It's when I am alone with no-one to talk to that my feelings can really spiral a bit. I've just ordered a ticket for the cup game on Saturday, not because I want to go but I need to go, I need the company and the familiar faces before this starts to get out of control.

Good advice. When I hit very low points, I tend to end up sending a lot of texts to friends, nothing deep just trying to get a bit of banter going as I feel alone and am desperate for something to pick me up. Usually it will improve my mood for a short period as my mind is taken off things and something funny will be said in the exchange. It's when I am alone with no-one to talk to that my feelings can really spiral a bit. I've just ordered a ticket for the cup game on Saturday, not because I want to go but I need to go, I need the company and the familiar faces before this starts to get out of control.

I'm speaking as some one who has been through and still is going through it. I'm my own worst enemy. The 'inner chatter box' gets going and it's hard to silence it.
Natural distraction is the way to go. You have to show your mind how you want to live. The more you do it, the more your mind gets used to it.

Going to the match will be a good thing (we'll probably lose like) but it's a change of scenery and gets you out and about.

I'm speaking as some one who has been through and still is going through it. I'm my own worst enemy. The 'inner chatter box' gets going and it's hard to silence it.
Natural distraction is the way to go. You have to show your mind how you want to live. The more you do it, the more your mind gets used to it.

Going to the match will be a good thing (we'll probably lose like) but it's a change of scenery and gets you out and about.

Seems very much like me, I have absolutely no patience as well so end up making situations worse from a mixture of impatience and inner doubt, my mind won't stop racing, I think the worst, make a bad decision or say the wrong thing and the cycle spirals even further out of my control.

Distracting myself is the only way to limit it, if I don't, I can lose it a bit.

Well I didn't go in to work again today. Avoided their calls too. I then got a call off my lass asking why I wasn't at work (they rang her) so now she wants me to move out. Got my daughter cuddled into me without a clue. I've messed everything up. Will probably lose my job, too.

Well I didn't go in to work again today. Avoided their calls too. I then got a call off my lass asking why I wasn't at work (they rang her) so now she wants me to move out. Got my daughter cuddled into me without a clue. I've messed everything up. Will probably lose my job, too.

In terms of your job, can you get to the Doctors and get signed off? Could be a bit of damage limitation if you do that.

In terms of your job, can you get to the Doctors and get signed off? Could be a bit of damage limitation if you do that.

I'm back at the docs on Friday. I'll only get £88 a week if I go back on the sick. Genuinely can't afford it. Today I dropped my daughter off at nursery and got on the bus to work. I just couldn't get off. came home and spent all day in bed. I'm gonna go in tomorrow. I have too. I'm feeling sick at the thought of it. I just want to stay in a bubble when I feel like this. if I didn't have my lass and daughter I'd just drink at home all day. I know I need to snap out of it. it's beating me this time though.

I'm back at the docs on Friday. I'll only get £88 a week if I go back on the sick. Genuinely can't afford it. Today I dropped my daughter off at nursery and got on the bus to work. I just couldn't get off. came home and spent all day in bed. I'm gonna go in tomorrow. I have too. I'm feeling sick at the thought of it. I just want to stay in a bubble when I feel like this. if I didn't have my lass and daughter I'd just drink at home all day. I know I need to snap out of it. it's beating me this time though.

Mate I honestly know how you feel, I've been in similar positions but luckily for me without as much responsibility. Do work know about your struggles with this? if not, tomorrow might be a good time to tell them and hope for a bit of good will.

Does the Mrs know what you are struggling with or more likely have you not said owt and she just thinks your a waste?

Mate I honestly know how you feel, I've been in similar positions but luckily for me without as much responsibility. Do work know about your struggles with this? if not, tomorrow might be a good time to tell them and hope for a bit of good will.

Yeah I've just come back off on the si k on the 28th. Worked the Wed, Thurs and Fri last week. Think the drink on NYE may have no helped me. My lass is due home in half an hour. She's taking the bairn to her mams and kipping there. I don't blame her. how can I? all I do is drag them down when I'm like this. She says she wants the old me back. I want the old me back too.

Does the Mrs know what you are struggling with or more likely have you not said owt and she just thinks your a waste?

She knows. Had a dark episode last year. I just don't think she understands the affect it has. She thinks staying in bed is just laziness. She says how can you go to a pub all day and drink and not go to work. I'd be asking the exact same things if the shoe was on the other foot.

Last edited:
Yeah I've just come back off on the si k on the 28th. Worked the Wed, Thurs and Fri last week. Think the drink on NYE may have no helped me. My lass is due home in half an hour. She's taking the bairn to her mams and kipping there. I don't blame her. how can I? all I do is drag them down when I'm like this. She says she wants the old me back. I want the old me back too.

At least work know the situation and can hopefully be compassionate. When I was really struggling 3 years ago I told my boss, took a few days off and she was pretty cool with me when I came back, making me feel valued and that - to be fair she was very laid back with me from the beginning but it was nice to know she understood I needed to be treated a little differently at times.

It's very hard for partners at times like this, I pushed my ex away so many times before she finally gave up but I am sure if you can get on the right track, knock off the drink, try and get your head down at work, you will start to see improvements in your mentality and relationship.

Good luck

@MigsGoalKicks can you ask the Dr if there's any counselling or helpline or similar for your wife ?
I found out a couple of years ago that my husband genuinely knew very little about depression and anxiety. He came to counselling and they recommended books etc.... Think one was called "Living with the Black Dog" and it explained how it wasn't your partner's job to jolly you along or try to cure you but how to understand the condition a bit better....

Sorry you're in a bad patch. Really hope it passes soon

Something happened to me prior to Xmas. I moved home and a new Drs Surgery, full mot, and I asked if a particular tablet I could stop taking, why I was on it I don't know, goes back years.

So I came off, and within days felt awful, went back to quacks, and she said the citaloprom was for depression....er hold on, I don't have depression, but she said many years ago I was diagnosed, I did not know

She knows. Had a dark episode last year. I just don't think she understands the affect it has. She thinks staying in bed is just laziness. She says how can you go to a pub all day and drink and not go to work. I'd be asking the exact same things if the shoe was on the other foot.

Can work offer any kind of phased return, when I was working & had time of sick they often arranged a more gentle easing back into the job rather than being thrown in at the deep end again. I know this very much depends on the work you do of course.

Has your missus ever been to the docs with you? Maybe the gp can explain things, i agree with Bad Mother too. I got the book Living with the Black Dog & a lot of it helped get across to my husband how I felt & how he could support me.

It's awful to here how badly so many of us are doing at the moment, I'm glad to see so many people talking & not bottling it up though. If I'm honest I don't know where I'm at at the moment, Xmas was horribly stressful on so many fronts & I ended up having a horribly grim day a few days before Xmas. Didn't feel like I could reach out for support as everyone around me had so much stress on their shoulders that I just had to do all I could to hold the family together... did something a little bit daft but luckily I did have a friend to lean on who sorted me out, it was a relief not to feel like a massive burden who was making everything worse.

Just hoping to get through this now without sinking deeper, patting myself on the back for every bit of adulting i do. One foot in front of the other....

@MigsGoalKicks can you ask the Dr if there's any counselling or helpline or similar for your wife ?
I found out a couple of years ago that my husband genuinely knew very little about depression and anxiety. He came to counselling and they recommended books etc.... Think one was called "Living with the Black Dog" and it explained how it wasn't your partner's job to jolly you along or try to cure you but how to understand the condition a bit better....

Sorry you're in a bad patch. Really hope it passes soon

That's the thing with depression it affects everyone not just those with it, not as easy as reading a few books to cope with someone with it, exactly the same as taking a few pills is not the answer.

Be interesting to do a fly on the wall type documentary on it.

Can work offer any kind of phased return, when I was working & had time of sick they often arranged a more gentle easing back into the job rather than being thrown in at the deep end again. I know this very much depends on the work you do of course.

Has your missus ever been to the docs with you? Maybe the gp can explain things, i agree with Bad Mother too. I got the book Living with the Black Dog & a lot of it helped get across to my husband how I felt & how he could support me.

It's awful to here how badly so many of us are doing at the moment, I'm glad to see so many people talking & not bottling it up though. If I'm honest I don't know where I'm at at the moment, Xmas was horribly stressful on so many fronts & I ended up having a horribly grim day a few days before Xmas. Didn't feel like I could reach out for support as everyone around me had so much stress on their shoulders that I just had to do all I could to hold the family together... did something a little bit daft but luckily I did have a friend to lean on who sorted me out, it was a relief not to feel like a massive burden who was making everything worse.

Just hoping to get through this now without sinking deeper, patting myself on the back for every bit of adulting i do. One foot in front of the other....

Good luck Jo, you aren't alone and it's great you have a friend for support who I'm sure will be happy to continue being there for you.

Currently I am not showing any signs of improvement, lack of sleep isn't helping and I have a raging headache, hoping I can keep my head down at work today and keep my mind busy. Really need to look for a new place to live too as I think this will at least eliminate one recurring problem that doesn't help with my mindset.

Looking forward to an alcohol free weekend and already have plans for all of it, just hope I can stay strong as I will be in pubs but I think I'll be OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back