Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggling along... Told my boss today as I need to cover myself and I think it is the more professional approach. Still absolutely worn out as I adjust to the medication, but I'm only two and a half weeks in.

I hope it is better for you.

Thanks pal. Good idea telling your boss, to the naked eye if you are struggling then it may look like you just can't be arsed so they need to know there's more to it than that and I hope they will be supportive of you.

Great advice about trying to get your partner help. My wife(no) was struggling to understand my PTSD so my councillor advised her attending a couple of sessions with me to help her understand why I was the way I was.

It helped immensely and she then found out that giving me time and space during one of my moments was the best way to deal with me. It may not help everyone but if it helps one person then it's a bonus.

Definitely get partners to understand and help if they can. We talked before in the thread about trivial little things being big triggers for a downwards spiral. If they understand this and realise what is happening, they can sort of detach themselves from the issue and help you instead of perhaps making it worse. Like suppose they nag you for leaving a towel on the floor which is trivial, but in your head that's a massive issue that triggers all these feelings again, rather than them getting annoyed at your "overreaction" they can help calm you back down again. I think that is the key to living with someone with depression.

It is, definitely.
It's not that you're being lazy on the days you can't get out of bed.
Or mardy when you don't engage in conversation.

We have a system now that if I'm having a bad day, all I have to say is "bad day" and it's left as that. No jollying along or expecting me to get loads of stuff done.…. Anything I achieve is a plus.
Thankfully the better days outnumber the bad ones right now.

GP reviewed me and agreed I can halve my tablets but wants me to stay on them another 3 months.

Had an idea when I was busy this afternoon. Lets make 2017 the year of sorting our shit out!

Last year was a total disaster. My health was very poor which left me exhausted. I gave up running, put off jobs like DIY and deep cleaning as I couldn't be arsed, and didn't look after myself very well at all.

So how about a Sunday club? To beat off the impending Monday morning blues, everyone post the little thing(s) you have done this last week to help with your situation.

The shower in my shower cubicle has broken so while it's not being used, I've replaced the silicone sealant round the tray. It was all discoloured and manky looking and it kept annoying me every time I had a shower! I've been meaning to do that for ages, but just not got round to it.

Lack of sleep has been a big issue. I downloaded an app called Calm onto my tablet and tried the "daily calm" exercise before I went to bed last night. I did seem to drop off to sleep easier and slept better, so I'm going to keep going with the seven day trial and see how I get on with it.

Still got this chesty cough lurgy hanging around but if it settles, by this time next week I want to have done some exercise, plus make appointments for a haircut, an eye test and a dental check up as I've been putting off arranging all three, and get the shower repaired.

Had an idea when I was busy this afternoon. Lets make 2017 the year of sorting our shit out!

Last year was a total disaster. My health was very poor which left me exhausted. I gave up running, put off jobs like DIY and deep cleaning as I couldn't be arsed, and didn't look after myself very well at all.

So how about a Sunday club? To beat off the impending Monday morning blues, everyone post the little thing(s) you have done this last week to help with your situation.

The shower in my shower cubicle has broken so while it's not being used, I've replaced the silicone sealant round the tray. It was all discoloured and manky looking and it kept annoying me every time I had a shower! I've been meaning to do that for ages, but just not got round to it.

Lack of sleep has been a big issue. I downloaded an app called Calm onto my tablet and tried the "daily calm" exercise before I went to bed last night. I did seem to drop off to sleep easier and slept better, so I'm going to keep going with the seven day trial and see how I get on with it.

Still got this chesty cough lurgy hanging around but if it settles, by this time next week I want to have done some exercise, plus make appointments for a haircut, an eye test and a dental check up as I've been putting off arranging all three, and get the shower repaired.

Good idea: I've had a brilliant weekend with friends and spent the day in Manchester. A very promising job lead has come out of it as well.

Fantastic post.

I've already decided to make 2017 about my well-being. I got a fit bit at Xmas and have been using it to monitor my food intake, exercise and most importantly for me, my sleep patterns. I have a sleep disorder and when I'm not looking after myself it takes it's toll on me. So I've started the year on a diet and haven't had a single drop of alcohol. I figure that if I can get the body healthy, the mind will follow. I've resolved to work less hours this year and have done no overtime so far (usually I would average 7-10 hours overtime a week). I also went out yesterday to catch up with mates for the first time in the new year and had a nice bite to eat and a good laugh.

Yeah I've just come back off on the si k on the 28th. Worked the Wed, Thurs and Fri last week. Think the drink on NYE may have no helped me. My lass is due home in half an hour. She's taking the bairn to her mams and kipping there. I don't blame her. how can I? all I do is drag them down when I'm like this. She says she wants the old me back. I want the old me back too.

She knows. Had a dark episode last year. I just don't think she understands the affect it has. She thinks staying in bed is just laziness. She says how can you go to a pub all day and drink and not go to work. I'd be asking the exact same things if the shoe was on the other foot.
Remember it's an illness, it's not your fault, you didn't choose to be like this.

Becs, this is a great idea. Absolutely brilliant.
My plan is to devote time to something that is important to me - 12 hours a week. So, my achievement for the week is that last Monday I did a 'reflective diary' about what the barriers are to my giving that much time to my Thing, and then I've managed 8 hours on it. Not enough, but baby steps.

The Sunday club is just what I need to inspire me to do the Thing for 12 hours over the week to come. Giving proper time to the Thing will make me feel a lot better.

Sorry for the coyness over what the Thing is but it's creative and I feel self-conscious/embarrassed about fessing up to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember it's an illness, it's not your fault, you didn't choose to be like this.

Becs, this is a great idea. Absolutely brilliant.
My plan is to devote time to something that is important to me - 12 hours a week. So, my achievement for the week is that last Monday I did a 'reflective diary' about what the barriers are to my giving that much time to my Thing, and then I've managed 8 hours on it. Not enough, but baby steps.

The Sunday club is just what I need to inspire me to do the Thing for 12 hours over the week to come. Giving proper time to the Thing will make me feel a lot better.

Sorry for the coyness over what the Thing is but it's creative and I feel self-conscious/embarrassed about fessing up to it!

Not revealing "The Thing" is fine but I feel that for creative purposes in this thread it needs a new title to draw us in. My suggestion is that it is from now on referred to as "The Ninja Project".

I think a lot of people are quite unhappy, rather than depressed. Quite hard to distinguish between the two, think I've had bouts of unhappiness caused by stress and anxiety rather than proper depression. My sister has suffered from depression in the past and I can see it in her face when she is going thru a bad time with it.

It's probably quite important to know if you are clinically depressed or not, or you could end up being that way anyway.

Great call @becs
I've got a gorgeous diary for Christmas and aim to write down a good thing for each day, no matter how small.

Like today, I went in my lunch break and got my minging filthy car washed & waxed..... Little things.....

Also it might snow on Friday which makes me quite happy too.

Brilliant. The Ninja Project it is!
I love that idea.... You'd suit being a Ninja !!!

Great idea from @becs

Well, not enjoying being couped up in the house recently, especially after being out so much over Xmas, and it leaves me with too much thinking time. So I went round a mates on Friday, no drinking just chilled out with TV and tea, nice to have a good bit of crack with a close mate.

Saturday was the match, my complete lack of willpower saw me have a few pre match pints (Probably just as well really), went back to my local for a couple afterwards and a mate came in and announced he had got engaged, so it ended up being a late one but always good to celebrate good news

Yesterday was a second date with a girl, to be honest I can't see any long term potential, not because we don't get on but i don't think we would be well suited to anything serious, however I'm pleased that I'm not going all in and to be blunt, I find her seriously attractive and will gladly have some fun and see where it leads, again just enjoyed getting out of the house and being a bit of a pervert again :lol:

Back to work today, busy as anything again but the day flies and the depot is booming at the moment so it's all positive in that sense. Starting playing footy again next week to keep me active, I'm terrible but it will be good to spend time with mates and keep fit during the week

Tonight, time to relax!

Great idea from @becs

Well, not enjoying being couped up in the house recently, especially after being out so much over Xmas, and it leaves me with too much thinking time. So I went round a mates on Friday, no drinking just chilled out with TV and tea, nice to have a good bit of crack with a close mate.

Saturday was the match, my complete lack of willpower saw me have a few pre match pints (Probably just as well really), went back to my local for a couple afterwards and a mate came in and announced he had got engaged, so it ended up being a late one but always good to celebrate good news

Yesterday was a second date with a girl, to be honest I can't see any long term potential, not because we don't get on but i don't think we would be well suited to anything serious, however I'm pleased that I'm not going all in and to be blunt, I find her seriously attractive and will gladly have some fun and see where it leads, again just enjoyed getting out of the house and being a bit of a pervert again :lol:

Back to work today, busy as anything again but the day flies and the depot is booming at the moment so it's all positive in that sense. Starting playing footy again next week to keep me active, I'm terrible but it will be good to spend time with mates and keep fit during the week

Tonight, time to relax!
Cracking stuff mate

A poster who shall remain nameless said to me earlier today:

"Here we go!

The "man" with self admitted mental problems deciding to have his first "pop"...etc.

I would now go further than his admitted "mental problems" and say I believe that he would now be a resident of Cherry Knowle if it were still able to accommodate those "as mad as a hatter"."

Glad to see no-one on here uses posts on this thread against people like :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Work wasn't too bad today, only 270 odd emails to sift through (dragged myself in, if my brain started wandering to bad thoughts I just tried to think happy thoughts). I'm still keeping on keeping on ! :). Did have a slight wobble mind, my desk and area around it was covered in piles of files / papers and there was about 20 heavy bags of shredding where my chair should've been - pissed me off, had a tiny rant and thankfully a colleague helped me to sort it out (my depression can mean I may overreact about things like that , I felt shit about it tbh).

"Here we go!

The "man" with self admitted mental problems deciding to have his first "pop"...etc.

I would now go further than his admitted "mental problems" and say I believe that he would now be a resident of Cherry Knowle if it were still able to accommodate those "as mad as a hatter"."

Glad to see no-one on here uses posts on this thread against people like :lol::lol::lol:
Anyone using posts on this thread against the poster is a **** ! no need for it, disgraceful behaviour :evil:

Last edited:
I went to my councilor this morning and we talked through some stuff. I got a little bit agitated and upset but it was good so I'll stick with. I'm hoping to get back to work this Thursday and they agreed to ease me back. Also I've signed up for the kickboxing classes and start tomorrow.
Agitated and upset aren't necessarily bad - strong feelings have to come out.

"Here we go!

Glad to see no-one on here uses posts on this thread against people like :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Shows his ignorance IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back