Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's everyone doing? @becs I hope everything is better for you and the idiot has been blocked!

I'm doing ok at the moment, felt more stable than i have in a long time though it's difficult to trust these feelings after being so poorly for so long that the depression starts to feel like your normality. I could do with everyone crossing their fingers for me at the moment though, I'm ill with my chest at the moment so I have to take steroids. Sadly steroids can have a really bad effect on bipolar so I'm worrying myself sick that all the progress I've made in the last few months is going to go totally to waste. Here's hoping I can get through this unscathed.

Are you asthmatic..?

yes, unfortunately. it's always been really mild and only had a bit of small irritation with it when I run, this is the worst it's been for well over 14 years.

What inhalers are you on, just the Mrs got put on Seretide a number of years ago and it totally transformed her.
She had really bad asthma as well, quite a number of trips to hospital and slapped on steroids a few times.

I'm ok now thanks. Not had any further contact thankfully.

Work is really tough right now as you can imagine but I'm staying strong and refusing to work weekends. I've only got three weeks to go now and I'm counting down! I was getting pushed to work next Saturday but I just kept saying I already have pre-booked family plans. I didn't say it was because Sunderland were playing Leicester but I am attending the match with the bairns so I wasn't really telling fibs :lol: I've got two massive projects out of the way which were time consuming which is a relief. I'm definitely breaking up on the 16th and having a pre-Christmas week with the bairns doing family stuff. The youngest is really excited about that so that's my motivation not to accept any work as I can't let her down.

I've worked out what was causing the horrific pains in my colon and bad wind. I started a diet using macro's and wasn't eating enough protein, so I've been drinking a protein shake on a morning. I ran out and forgot to buy some more and the pain vanished! I bought a couple of pre-mixed bottles as a test and the pain came back after drinking those, so I think there must be something in the shake that upsets my insides. That's a relief as the consultant had mentioned gluten and dairy intolerance and wanted me to cut them out one at a time to see if that made any difference. I wouldn't have liked to have been intolerant to either ingredient as it makes eating so awkward.

Hope you get sorted with the asthma @mackem_jo2 and the steriods xx

Is it anything to do with the weather? My ex's asthma was always worse when it was cold and damp outside. He used to wear a woollen scarf pulled up over his nose and face to take the chill off the air before breathing it in.

Got talking on a website but not a dating one and foolishly gave him my mobile number. He'd texted and I said I was very busy at work. I'm busy in a call and all of a sudden there's an erection filling my screen. If he'd walked into the store I was working in and shown me, he'd be arrested so I can't fathom out why he thought it was ok to send it to my phone. I use my phone heavily in stores at work and I can't have unsolicited penises appearing on it when I'm busy among customers or showing store staff members work related documents on it. If he'd asked, I would have said no I don't want to ever see it.

I'm sorry but your wording :lol:

Chin up otherwise

We're not. We're just exposed to a constant barrage of expectations on us, like never before in human history. I actually find it surprising that so many can ignore it.

People in impoverished parts of the globe don't tend to struggle in the ways we do because they don't have the constant weight of expectation to 'do more', they just have to survive. Success and failure mean totally different things and elicit totally different reactions.

I'm reminded of the South Korean rate of suicide when reading the above.

Last edited:
Completely worn out by work, tried to leave 6 weeks ago but they gave me a substantial payrise to stay and the promise of further training. No further training yet and despite me categorically stating I did not want to manage the depot, I seem to be have been left in charge the last 2 weeks with no support and an ever increasing workload.

It's not even about money any more, it's about being realistic about what one person can achieve in a day without support.

Completely worn out by work, tried to leave 6 weeks ago but they gave me a substantial payrise to stay and the promise of further training. No further training yet and despite me categorically stating I did not want to manage the depot, I seem to be have been left in charge the last 2 weeks with no support and an ever increasing workload.

It's not even about money any more, it's about being realistic about what one person can achieve in a day without support.
are they paying you yet? i.e. actually putting money into your bank?

are they paying you yet? i.e. actually putting money into your bank?

I'm being paid but as I am working a month behind I don't get paid my new rate until next month, nothing extraordinary there, I still don't trust them not to fuck me about with wages when I leave though. Took £1200 out of my now ex-manager's pay packet on Friday.

I'm being paid but as I am working a month behind I don't get paid my new rate until next month, nothing extraordinary there, I still don't trust them not to fuck me about with wages when I leave though. Took £1200 out of my now ex-manager's pay packet on Friday.
but isn't their definition of working a month behind actually 2 months behind?

but isn't their definition of working a month behind actually 2 months behind?

Pretty much, I worked 2 months in hand so if I was to leave tomorrow I would be owed a full months wage at the end of December, and a day's pay today at the end of January.

So am I getting this right, this is the same foirm who were trying to pin H and S cock ups onto him not long ago, and they havent been paying him either?

Funnily enough that one went all quiet after I kicked up a fuss, and they haven't asked me to get involved in it again..

Pretty much, I worked 2 months in hand so if I was to leave tomorrow I would be owed a full months wage at the end of December, and a day's pay today at the end of January.

Funnily enough that one went all quiet after I kicked up a fuss, and they haven't asked me to get involved in it again..
Either way they seem like a right set of bonny bastards to work for

Either way they seem like a right set of bonny bastards to work for

Never known anyone like them. I don't shy away from hard work and taking on a challenge but these expect you to be there almost 24/7 doing everything without training. Bloke who runs the place is a bully and regularly withholds wages from employees when they leave, making up stories of damage to equipment and time lost on jobs. I am the only one in the office at all at the moment so they would be somewhat fucked if I left so in a way I hold some aces, but he's the type of bloke who would just fuck my wages over with some daft excuse after.

If someone is heading towards depression in my ignorant opinion, due to the demands of life (and family) their opinion, but are reluctant to listen to what appears obvious - is straight talking ever an option? By the obvious I mean not taking on as much, cutting back on drink, finding an interest for relaxation.

If someone is heading towards depression in my ignorant opinion, due to the demands of life (and family) their opinion, but are reluctant to listen to what appears obvious - is straight talking ever an option? By the obvious I mean not taking on as much, cutting back on drink, finding an interest for relaxation.
A good starter could be "I'm worried about you"
In my experience straight talking just out of the blue causes the person to either shut down, or flat out deny anything is wrong,.

Kind of got a similar, but different problem right now.
Lad I was good mates with at school & college is going through a fairly bitter acrimonious split at the moment.
Two young kids, & a lass who clearly meant a lot to him - as they should.
Now then, I've barely known him personally for twenty years now but he's on my Facebook due to being in my circle of friends from my time in aforementioned education.
He keeps posting loads of really negative stuff about how none of his family love him, he's got no real friends & he'd better off gone etc in the last few days.
Question is, how seriously to take it all.
(I only know too well myself the dangers of mixing depression, alcohol, & social media)
Obviously the vast majority of the time it's just heat of the moment nonsense talk, but you never want to be at the end of the minority occasion when you find out something grim has happened & wonder if there was anything at all you could have possibly done to help prevent that final decision.

Kind of got a similar, but different problem right now.
Lad I was good mates with at school & college is going through a fairly bitter acrimonious split at the moment.
Two young kids, & a lass who clearly meant a lot to him - as they should.
Now then, I've barely known him personally for twenty years now but he's on my Facebook due to being in my circle of friends from my time in aforementioned education.
He keeps posting loads of really negative stuff about how none of his family love him, he's got no real friends & he'd better off gone etc in the last few days.
Question is, how seriously to take it all.
(I only know too well myself the dangers of mixing depression, alcohol, & social media)
Obviously the vast majority of the time it's just heat of the moment nonsense talk, but you never want to be at the end of the minority occasion when you find out something grim has happened & wonder if there was anything at all you could have possibly done to help prevent that final decision.

That's a difficult one, do you have anyone from that group of friends who has stayed in closer contact with him that might have more of an idea of how his state of mind is? It shouldn't do any harm to drop a message anyway, he might need some support, or even just some acknowledgement of how he's feeling. Either way at least you'd know you'd tried.

What inhalers are you on, just the Mrs got put on Seretide a number of years ago and it totally transformed her.
She had really bad asthma as well, quite a number of trips to hospital and slapped on steroids a few times.

I've just came home from hospital, got admitted Sunday after having a really bad attack. I hadn't heard of the inhaler that you mentioned there but I've been put on a similar one now, I didn't even know combination inhalers existed! Hopefully it works as well for me as it has for your Mrs! I'm exhausted now, never had a real attack like that before so didn't know how much it takes it out of you. Sadly it also means I'm at greater risk of a MH relapse now too, still hanging on though and doing as I'm told.

Last edited:
That's a difficult one, do you have anyone from that group of friends who has stayed in closer contact with him that might have more of an idea of how his state of mind is? It shouldn't do any harm to drop a message anyway, he might need some support, or even just some acknowledgement of how he's feeling. Either way at least you'd know you'd tried.

Not sure to be honest.
I think he's actually the only one of our circle who still lives in the same area we all grew up.
Everyone else is scattered around this country, & a couple across the world these days.
I know he's also having lack of work issues at the moment too so obviously more spare time to mull over & think about what's going on, coupled with the concerning financial aspect no doubt probably isn't helping either.
He's also got a mate on there (who I don't know) doing the classic "Man Up" speeches which I'm not sure is helping or hindering.
Today, thankfully so far, he seems a bit brighter & more positive about things.
I'll keep an eye on it.
I'm back in the area on Sunday so if need be I can hopefully pop in & just say Hello just as a simple gesture of support & thought I guess.

I've just came home from hospital, got admitted Sunday after having a really bad attack. I hadn't heard of the inhaler that you mentioned there but I've been put on a similar one now, I didn't even know combination inhalers existed! Hopefully it works as well for me as it has for your Mrs! I'm exhausted now, never had a real attack like that before so didn't know how much it takes it out of you. Sadly it also means I'm at greater risk of a MH relapse now too, still hanging on though and doing as I'm told.

Hope it works for you and it becomes something well controlled, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back