Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been on sertraline? What's it like and is there anything I need to look out for? Someone close to me has just gone on it. Bizarrely the packaging mentions in huge letters "do not drink grapefruit juice" and then in smaller wording warns not to drink alcohol :eek:

Has anyone been on sertraline? What's it like and is there anything I need to look out for? Someone close to me has just gone on it. Bizarrely the packaging mentions in huge letters "do not drink grapefruit juice" and then in smaller wording warns not to drink alcohol :eek:

I haven't been on it but I've been on another one that had the grapefruit juice rule, it's about how it affects liver function iirc.

I was on it for a few weeks, I wasn't myself at all felt like I was going crazy. However I was taking tramadol at the time and they have a bad interaction so I should never have been prescribed it and that could be the reason I felt so bad. It's put me off any other anti d and I've struggled on for years without any , tried everything else instead.

I wasn't allowed grapefruit with immune suppressants , must be some weird shit going on in that fruit :lol:

I was on it for a few weeks, I wasn't myself at all felt like I was going crazy. However I was taking tramadol at the time and they have a bad interaction so I should never have been prescribed it and that could be the reason I felt so bad. It's put me off any other anti d and I've struggled on for years without any , tried everything else instead.

I wasn't allowed grapefruit with immune suppressants , must be some weird shit going on in that fruit :lol:

There is nothing wrong with the fruit, can you imagine sticking stuff into your body that makes something reasonably good for you very bad for you.
Got to be very careful where drugs are concerned.

I haven't been on it but I've been on another one that had the grapefruit juice rule, it's about how it affects liver function iirc.

Thanks. It's your matchday Metro friend :(

Hope you are feeling better now you're home xx

He said he felt a bit hyper and was wide awake at 3am this morning.

I'm on immunosuppressants but nobody told me about grapefruit! I really like it anyway but knew the tablets can affect my liver so I have on regular liver function tests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. It's your matchday Metro friend :(no

I'm on immunosuppressants but nobody told me about grapefruit! I really like it anyway but knew the tablets can affect my liver so I have on regular liver function tests.

Yeah I remember weird sleeping patterns, and horrible mood swings. But I think with a lot of them you get bad before it gets better so just got to stick with it till you start feeling better, I hope it doesn't take too long. It was neoral I took, I can't remember what it did I just remember thinking it's OK as I don't like grapefruit anyway.

There is nothing wrong with the fruit, can you imagine sticking stuff into your body that makes something reasonably good for you very bad for you.
Got to be very careful where drugs are concerned.
I needed the immuno suppressants to stop me being very poorly / die. Thanks for your concern though:?: my comment was as opposed to an orange or apple being perfectly fine !

Last edited:
Thanks. It's your matchday Metro friend :(

I thought that might be the case :(

Like most meds it's a question of riding out the first couple of weeks of side effects & then fingers crossed you have the right one. I'll hope that's the case!

Better now I'm home but frustrated with being tired, still hoping I'll be recovered enough for the match on Saturday!

I was on sertraline a few years ago and I had a horrible time with them. Felt sick to the pit of my stomach every day, my anxiety ramped up, and for the only time in my life I had suicidal thoughts. Not to mention certain physical side effects.

I was only on them for about 5 weeks and that scared me off anti-depressants for good. But I've read that others take stronger doses than I was on and feel much better, so it's probably down to the individual as much as anything.

Is it the first time he's ever been on Aunty D's???

I think I was 19 (possibly 20) when I first got prescribed Fluoxetine & it really does make you feel odd & loopy to start with no matter what the specific medication it is I'd imagine.
Both in a positive way & a really negative way in my experience.

Fingers crossed it helps him overall anyway though, & as quickly as possible.

Is it the first time he's ever been on Aunty D's???

I think I was 19 (possibly 20) when I first got prescribed Fluoxetine & it really does make you feel odd & loopy to start with no matter what the specific medication it is I'd imagine.
Both in a positive way & a really negative way in my experience.

Fingers crossed it helps him overall anyway though, & as quickly as possible.

Yes first time.

A good friend took his life not long ago, it's his funeral tommorow.

feels so strange that there was a few of us talking about stuff just 2 days before and he seemed to be managing okay.

Sat here trying to figure out what to say on the card for the wreath.. f***ing hard.

What a horrible thing it is.

feels so strange that there was a few of us talking about stuff just 2 days before and he seemed to be managing okay.

Sat here trying to figure out what to say on the card for the wreath.. f***ing hard.

Perhaps a brief recollection of a happy positive memory you have of him.
Something that immediately springs to mind from the past.
Whether it's from recent months or years ago.

Thankfully I've only ever known one person really well who took his own life (one of my older brothers best ever mates)
Always important not to allow his final moment/choice to define their entire existence on the odd occasion I think back to him now.

Best wishes.
Hope tomorrow goes as well as it can in the circumstances.

So sorry to hear that xx

I second the comments about a random memory. A nice one that perhaps his family haven't heard before.

I needed the immuno suppressants to stop me being very poorly / die. Thanks for your concern though:?: my comment was as opposed to an orange or apple being perfectly fine !

Yep, I wouldn't want a grapefruit killing you, as I said you have to be careful, it was nothing to do with you needing them but how vital it is people are fully educated into what they are taking.
Many a person has popped their cloggs with prescribed drugs having an adverse affect on them.
Although you will obviously be aware just others may not be.

I hate grapefruit anyway. ;)

Yep, I wouldn't want a grapefruit killing you, as I said you have to be careful, it was nothing to do with you needing them but how vital it is people are fully educated into what they are taking.
Many a person has popped their cloggs with prescribed drugs having an adverse affect on them.
Although you will obviously be aware just others may not be.

I hate grapefruit anyway. ;)
I hate grapefruit so it is no great loss that I'm not allowed them on my meds.

Grapefruit contains a compound that blocks one of the enzymes that is important in the metabolism of a lot of medications, basically leading to higher levels of the drug in the body with the potential for overdose or increased side effects....

Hows every one getting on? I've had a bit of a mixed time, but fortunately I have been given access to a therapist through 'Talking Matters'. I saw the lass on Thursday last week and we seemed to understand each other so shes booked me in again for this Thursday to get in to a bit more depth.

I've managed to stay off the Antidepressants and the side effects seem to have reduced.

Hoping every one else is ok.

I've been on it 9 months now and it's helped me. First 2-3 weeks was bad side effects but they go. I had really bad stomach cramps and lack of energy always feeling tired. I upped my dose to 100mg after a month and I'm still on that. At the start I seemed to get drinker quicker and very sleepy but absolutely fine when drinking now. If you want any more info just ask or pm

I've been on it 9 months now and it's helped me. First 2-3 weeks was bad side effects but they go. I had really bad stomach cramps and lack of energy always feeling tired. I upped my dose to 100mg after a month and I'm still on that. At the start I seemed to get drinker quicker and very sleepy but absolutely fine when drinking now. If you want any more info just ask or pm

Thanks. He's sticking with it for now to see what happens and has another GP appointment in a couple of weeks to review it.

Bit down here. I've mentioned about a female issue before that's been dragging on for over two years now. I finally got my GP to refer me to gynae at the hospital. That was a ballache as in Co Durham, GP's are no longer allowed to direct refer. She had to write a case study about me and present it to a panel (who have never met me before) and they decide if I am allowed to see a consultant. I passed that and had an appointment with a consultant today. Unfortunately there was a massive traffic jam and even though I'd left plenty of time for the journey and would have been there early in normal circumstances, the traffic jam meant I arrived 10 minutes late. Despite apologising profusely, he refused to see me because I wasn't on time and has discharged me back to my GP without even seeing me. I've rang the doctors to ask if I can be re-referred back but the receptionist didn't know what would happen now. She's going to speak to the doctor and get back to me. It's not really helped with the stress and worry, all for the sake of 10 minutes.

I also need another test on my bowel and I've been waiting since October for an appointment for that. I got home from work today and found an appointment in the post for tomorrow. I have to follow a strict no fibre diet for the 48 hours prior to the test, then fast on the day of the test. I haven't followed the diet as I didn't know about the appointment so I've had to ring and cancel that and have to wait for another one will be sent out in the post.

Still manically busy at work and still turning down work on weekends and week commencing the 19th. I've managed to stay strong and not crack despite the guilt trips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back