Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money, cant really afford to quit now with christmas, not to mention they overpaid me in July so are taking that out this months pay. I want to play it so that I leave me job mid January and leave with a full months wage (I have 20 odd holidays to be paid also). This will give me a financial cushion to be able to enjoy myself and maybe get away for a few days at the end of January before hopefully getting into a new job early Feb.

Fair comment

Struggling today. My job is shite, seem to have so much to do all the time and no-one gives a shit, everyone just looks after themselves. The conversation around me is about "I'm a celebrity" and "Married at first sight" and I wonder how the fuck people can be happy and content in their lives if these are the talking points. Maybe I'm just a miserable bastard but it all just seems so pointless. Saw some family over the weekend and it was the usual pointless bickering that I have no time for. I was just happy to get home and lock myself away from them all. People are so wrapped up in themselves, material possessions and insignificant parts of life that I think if I did decide to just leave it behind, very few would notice.

My diet has been bad over the weekend I drank too much so I'm hoping that this is affecting my mood and I can get back on track. But I'm struggling to feel anything right now other than empty and hopeless.

Sorry to hear that mate. Alot of what you're saying resonates with me. I often find the 'whats the point' question occurring a lot too. My job is pretty mundane and the job satisfaction is zero. I cant really leave my job as 1. its the only things I'm qualified to do 2. I havent got any money to do any further qualifications and 3. my wife is 30 weeks pregnant so I dont think she'd be keen on the upheaval.

Struggling today. My job is shite, seem to have so much to do all the time and no-one gives a shit, everyone just looks after themselves. The conversation around me is about "I'm a celebrity" and "Married at first sight" and I wonder how the fuck people can be happy and content in their lives if these are the talking points. Maybe I'm just a miserable bastard but it all just seems so pointless. Saw some family over the weekend and it was the usual pointless bickering that I have no time for. I was just happy to get home and lock myself away from them all. People are so wrapped up in themselves, material possessions and insignificant parts of life that I think if I did decide to just leave it behind, very few would notice.

My diet has been bad over the weekend I drank too much so I'm hoping that this is affecting my mood and I can get back on track. But I'm struggling to feel anything right now other than empty and hopeless.
Firstly Flash, drink and bad diet always affect mood. I don't mean to lecture, but I think you should just eat well today and lay off the alcohol. Then get out for some exercise, even a mile walk will perk up your systems. You are in control of this stuff. I know what you mean about pointless self-interest/celebrity nonsense/family bickering (tell me about it) but the very fact that you see yourself as being outside it gives you a head start to change things for yourself.
I got some advice from a wise woman one time when I was going through shit (lost a child- got arrested for something I didn't do) and it was this- Every person you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about, so try to be kind, and most of all, be kind to yourself.
You have your own battles to fight, but you have allies both on here and in your offline life (you mentioned that some at work were supportive). Some days are worse than others, but sometimes the sun shines. Could I suggest you explore the possibility of giving a few hours a week to a voluntary project? I know that anything that takes energy and organisation seems a big ask, but a massive payoff comes in meeting people who are working towards a positive end, and it often gives more 'job satisfaction' than actual work. It helped me.
Your self-image seems on the floor at the minute, but it can change. Plenty on here believe in you, and on a better day you will believe in yourself too.

could you mebbe keep a mood diary ?
Just to see if there's any pattern to it.....

Of course I can.
In fact I have done before in the past on three occasions.
Last CPN/Psychiatrist appointment I had earlier this year they worked partly off the most recent one.
Whilst I was only diagnosed with atypical depression, the doctor was concerned enough to be open with me that there was definite bipolar II disorder elements to it as well.
I'll maybe think about starting one up again because I'm gonna have to go to see the doctor sometime soon anyway to let her know I've quit the meds I was on.

Of course I can.
In fact I have done before in the past on three occasions.
Last CPN/Psychiatrist appointment I had earlier this year they worked partly off the most recent one.
Whilst I was only diagnosed with atypical depression, the doctor was concerned enough to be open with me that there was definite bipolar II disorder elements to it as well.
I'll maybe think about starting one up again because I'm gonna have to go to see the doctor sometime soon anyway to let her know I've quit the meds I was on.

Not that Googling your symptoms is ever a great idea, but have you heard of the condition Cyclothymia ?

It's like a more rapid cycling version of bipolar, with a less pronounced mania....

Just a thought...

I know what you mean mate - when I first returned to the UK, I just couldn't understand 'everyone's' obsession with Jordan, x Factor and Big Brother. Probably quite snobby but I thought everyone's lives seemed so shallow. You just need to find different circles to mix in - the lowest common denominator doesn't apply to everyone.

Not that Googling your symptoms is ever a great idea, but have you heard of the condition Cyclothymia ?

It's like a more rapid cycling version of bipolar, with a less pronounced mania....

Just a thought...

I have yes.
Can certainly relate to a lot of the stuff it entails.
Same with BPD really.
Certain elements are exactly what I'm like.
But it's easy to look at stuff like that & think
"Yep, that's me"
Obviously it's a touch more complicated than that & quite often needs to be more comprehensively precise.

I wonder if the day will ever arrive when they completely understand the human brain, its workings, & its failings.

Last edited:
For a long time. Its just not challenging at all mate, sit in front of a computer all day assessing finance applications. I had a plan to hand my notice in at xmas time so I would finish late January, have a few weeks off and get something completely different but it seems too long to stay here
Try some charity work mate? You'll probably find a career move will be more stress and might not even fix the lack of challenge. You can start small with the charity work but take it from experience, and I'm sure you'll know this, being off work is the last thing you need... it might be okay for the first couple of weeks or even months but it adds to the problem. In my experience at least

Try some charity work mate? You'll probably find a career move will be more stress and might not even fix the lack of challenge. You can start small with the charity work but take it from experience, and I'm sure you'll know this, being off work is the last thing you need... it might be okay for the first couple of weeks or even months but it adds to the problem. In my experience at least

TBH mate I have been reading a lot about CALM and have thought about doing some volunteering on there, just yet to take the leap as outside of work my time is pretty much always used doing something.

Having a really tough time again guys.

I'm off my medication altogether now but feel absolutely dreadful. The whole electrical pulses, mood swings, irritability, terribly low mood, going from one thought to another.

I have tapered off as my GP suggested, but now think it might have been too quick a process. I dont know whats best. The therapy service I have spoken to before still dont have any available appointments. I dont know whether to continue with the withdrawal of meds and hope things improve or just start them back up again.

I have so many things which I know I need to do and should be capable of but my brain is just telling me I cant do them.

Tell your brain to fuck right off! Of course you can do them!

It looks like a massive mess when you think about how you are going to tackle everything. Break it down into baby steps and prioritise what you need to do first.

If you have a list and a plan, it suddenly looks a lot more manageable. Then as you tick things off, it gives you the motivation to keep going with the next tasks. I live my life through post it notes with scribbled to do lists on!

Think outloud on here if it helps. Someone might be able to help with some of the things that are worrying you.

Keep fighting and stay strong pet xx

The drink does me no favours like. I don't drink during the week but usually cane it a bit on a matchday and end up getting meself in a state. Can hardly remember Saturday night and then fear sets in on Sunday, and then you get told all the stupid (But harmless) things you did and I spend the next couple of days down about how much of an idiot I can be, and just generally self loathing and feeling embarrassed.

Tell your brain to fuck right off! Of course you can do them!

It looks like a massive mess when you think about how you are going to tackle everything. Break it down into baby steps and prioritise what you need to do first.

If you have a list and a plan, it suddenly looks a lot more manageable. Then as you tick things off, it gives you the motivation to keep going with the next tasks. I live my life through post it notes with scribbled to do lists on!

Think outloud on here if it helps. Someone might be able to help with some of the things that are worrying you.

Keep fighting and stay strong pet xx

Thanks becs, appreciate your reply.

Its just the sudden drop in mood and resurgence of my symptoms which I thought were long gone and under control which has shocked and shaken me. The safe havens I used to turn to arent that anymore either. That leads me to think its down to coming off the tablets, but I dont know if its specifically withdrawal symptoms or just because the antidepressants were working sufficiently.

Its a tough old time.

Thanks becs, appreciate your reply.

Its just the sudden drop in mood and resurgence of my symptoms which I thought were long gone and under control which has shocked and shaken me. The safe havens I used to turn to arent that anymore either. That leads me to think its down to coming off the tablets, but I dont know if its specifically withdrawal symptoms or just because the antidepressants were working sufficiently.

Its a tough old time.

I'd get a GP appointment if you think it's the meds that have caused it. They can make you crash a bit if you come off them too quickly. My GP said you need to feel fine for a while before you come off them, not just be wondering if you can manage without them.

Feeling shit myself today. Thankfully threads like this let me know that I'm not alone.

Have a hug xx

Best wishes & thoughts with those who are suffering right now.

Feel a bit of a fraud commenting on here at the moment as my mood is completely at the other end of the scale right now but I'll never be too distanced away from it to forget what a horrible mindset the illness can leave you in & the bleak outlook you see during the darkest times.

As has been mentioned a few times, try not to feel bad about feeling bad.
The immediate guilt will only make you feel worse.
Also, try not to expect some miraculous change just like that.
You'll only end up disappointed when it doesn't happen as it's fairly unrealistic that it'll happen just like.

Take care one & all.

That's sort of what I was driving at.

The people that have to worry about fundamental needs like food and shelter in impoverished areas of the world, how do they cope? Because they have to.

I think we as a species have became far too complicated for our good.
My mum told me the story of her aunt who lived with them for a bit when mum was a kid. The aunt would sit on the sofa every day and cry. My grandparents' reaction was " pull yourself together" (although they also gave her a home while she was going through whatever it was). There was no medical intervention. Point being it was unnamed and unreported.

Reactions: GTG
My mum told me the story of her aunt who lived with them for a bit when mum was a kid. The aunt would sit on the sofa every day and cry. My grandparents' reaction was " pull yourself together" (although they also gave her a home while she was going through whatever it was). There was no medical intervention. Point being it was unnamed and unreported.

I'm not suggesting we go back to the days where mental illness is brushed under the carpet but I think we're becoming more mentally fragile as a people.

After months of feeling fine medication free. I feel and know it's coming back. Rang in sick for work today and I'm doing it tomorrow. Can't face going in. Like my job but want to lose it in equal measure. just want to stay at home with my lass and kid and live in my bubble.

Shit getting on top of me at the moment like. Just want to lock meself in the house for a week with the curtains shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back