Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair play to ya mate, I'm nowhere near that bad with the creature like but i'm glad you've been able to find a balance. this thread is definitely putting a few things into a bit of perspective for me like.

Effexor got me 80% there,but cutting down on the drink has given me my life back.It makes me laugh this thread,some fuckers dont have a clue.Oh,and its taken nearly 6 years.

Yeah you're prob right. I considered ending my life but knew deep down I wouldn't. One time I took tablets and sent my mate a text to say bye to him. It was more a cry for help to be honest and looking back even I didn't believe I was going to follow it through or else I wouldn't have texted him. My mind was all over the place at the time but you're right, it was probably a reaction to an awful event in my life...

You getting some help now?

I think the lack of understanding is a real & avoidable handicap. As I've said I committed every ignorant error imaginable, mainly because I thought "depression" was just feeling "a bit down". It was a long hard road for me to work out exactly what it was & how just being there was a help without any hamfisted, crass efforts to cheer her up (Although for a brief period gift selection was easy as Absolut was her chosen medication!)

I have since helped others (properly!) & feel better equipped but never forget it is a dark, creeping illness that causes people to carry out extreme acts. I never in a million years thought I'd agree with JanieP (Hi, darlin'!) but she's right (for once!):)

You need to pay a bit more attention. I'm always right :cool:

;)

My Mam has suffered with Bipolar most of her adult life, 30+ years. She was in and out of hospital quite a lot when I was growing up, it used to break my heart to see her in those places. My Mam was and still is the rock of the family, but when she was ill it would completely wreck her. Luckily over the last few years she's made a big improvement. The Psychologist she was seeing was a great help and she's pretty much off all her medication now.

I know she's been suicidal on many occasions, and knowing this and being a kid was difficult to face. I just didn't know how to help. I'm so relieved she never did any harm to herself.. As has been said, if your depressed don't suffer on your own,Talk to family, go and see a GP and don't keep feelings bottled up......

Never had depression and by the sounds of it I have been lucky. Looking at some of the posts on this thread I hope I never suffer from depression as it sounds fukin horrible.

I am generally a glass half full type of person and I usually don't let things get on top of me. I do believe some people are more likely to suffer due to their personalities and I think it is fair to say that some people are 'mentally tougher', however I think everyone can suffer from it at some point due to events in their life.

One thing I am sure of is that whilst depression is serious and terrible condition some people really do take the piss. Some people where I work take time off due to depression for the slightest thing. One lass I knew went off for 6 months after her boyfriend off 1 month broke up with her! It's the fact that they come back after exactly 6 months when their sick pay runs out that is the give away.

I feel for those truly suffering from depression and hope they realise there is a lot in life worth living for.

janiep said:
You getting some help now?

No I'm ok now. Found myself a girlfriend (getting married on thurs), have 1 step son and 1 biological son, very rarely drink and just have a bet on the football on a Saturday. My life has changed drastically over the last few years. I had to take out a massive loan to pay off the debts but even that's paid off by October this year. I do still get down every now and then but that's just human nature and I'm over it in a few hours. My girlfriend knows all about my past and is so caring and understanding about it. Life these days is great and a million miles away from where I once was...

No I'm ok now. Found myself a girlfriend (getting married on thurs), have 1 step son and 1 biological son, very rarely drink and just have a bet on the football on a Saturday. My life has changed drastically over the last few years. I had to take out a massive loan to pay off the debts but even that's paid off by October this year. I do still get down every now and then but that's just human nature and I'm over it in a few hours. My girlfriend knows all about my past and is so caring and understanding about it. Life these days is great and a million miles away from where I once was...

:-D

Love a happy ending me

Quite a humbling read this ladies and gents, didn't know this many people suffered, and has highlighted my own ignorance to signs/symptoms, and understanding... If it's something you've never experienced I'm never really going to understand it fully am i? I've felt emptyness, and lonelyness when surrounded by my nearest and dearest but this was down to breaking up with partners, losing loved ones... It's just really opened my eyes to something that i didn't really think that much about.

So thanks for sharing, even if it just helps one person understand abit better it might be the difference of being able to help someone when they need it most.

Quite a humbling read this ladies and gents, didn't know this many people suffered, and has highlighted my own ignorance to signs/symptoms, and understanding... If it's something you've never experienced I'm never really going to understand it fully am i? I've felt emptyness, and lonelyness when surrounded by my nearest and dearest but this was down to breaking up with partners, losing loved ones... It's just really opened my eyes to something that i didn't really think that much about.

So thanks for sharing, even if it just helps one person understand abit better it might be the difference of being able to help someone when they need it most.

Aye mate, cracking thread this imo. Takes a big man to admit they have a problem, and its not a defeat.

For me personally I think the best way I can describe it is I'm trying to keep my head above water I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back