Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
The feeling of not being able to just 'snap out of it' is the most frustrating for myself, its like your mind is just in control of you. Its then when you feel totally hopeless. You just ask yourself 'why cant i do this?'

Thats that bubble effect. Your mind is set and to break out of it takes more than any pills a doctor can give you.

In the light of the recent awful events concerning your friends, I think you have a good opportunity to say to them "I'm going to be serious for once. Feel free to rip the piss after I've spoken, but I'm going to say it anyway."
you've been a great help janie. but i'll never forgive you if i'm soon to be called Frazier amongst my mates :lol:

so from what i can gather off previous posts, signs will be..
not wanting company
bad temper
withdrawn?

If there are any, they are a great place to start.

I've beaten it (hopefully) and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The things you like about life bring you absolutely no joy at all and the things you don't become unbearable. You feel like you're watching your life on telly half the time. Never attempted suicide but the thoughts were there. And I can easily see how the feelings of detachment could lead to someone acting on the thoughts.

All the best to everybody on here who has it, has had it, and (sadly) will have it. Talk to someone you trust, see a GP, make every recommended lifestyle adjustment to give yourself a chance.

Never let the bastard win.

I think this sums a lot of it up.

It sounds very cliched, but without any form of hope you really do feel empty inside.

Yep, even the smallest things in your life, like the simple pleasures if you like, mean nothing anymore. Things you take for granted etc. You can have all the friends and family which I have in abundance but sometimes it just isnt enough. Well, nothing is when its bad

Yeah but it if I was effected enough, or I couldn't snap out of it: it would be clinical depression..

"Snap yourself out of it, man!" f***ing hell that was another one of my classic comments when trying to help.

Seriously, I think I could write a self help book on what not to do when dealing with depression!

"Pull yourself together"

"Snap out of it man!"

"Worse things happen at sea!"

And the absolute pearler of a night when I explained to her how miserable she was making my life with her "dour countenance & perma-misery!"

Class act, me, I am!

If anyone is feeling depressed then tell someone about it and book an appointment at the docs and take it from there.

Also eating well and plenty of exercise does help an awful lot.

you've been a great help janie. but i'll never forgive you if i'm soon to be called Frazier amongst my mates :lol:

Just have the conversation like you are on here.

If they all look at you funny, just make sure you start the conversation when everyone has nearly finished their pint and then go off to the bar and never mention it again.

The feeling of not being able to just 'snap out of it' is the most frustrating for myself, its like your mind is just in control of you. Its then when you feel totally hopeless. You just ask yourself 'why cant i do this?'

Yep I find this. I haven't ever gone to a doctor about depression because I don't feel as if I have a serious enough case to warrant it since I tend to be fine but sometimes I have a few days in a row where I just dont want to do anything- I enjoy seeing my brother in the evening and watching a film/ having a few cans but sometimes he'll call and I'll just think "oh fuck off I dont want you to come round" and instead of seeing him I'll basically sit around not wanting to do anything (generally posting/ reading on here to pass the evening away). You realise that a lot of people would say "snap out of it man, just come to the pub and enjoy yourself" but you know yourself that no matter how many mates are around you and no matter how much banter is going on in the pub etc, you wouldnt feel happy, you'd feel withdrawn, distant and you'd want to go back into your shell and be alone. Knowing that you should "snap out of it" but can't is a real bastard.

Some people are victims of their circumstances, which seems more obvious to outsiders. Others can have the best life in the world, but they have a chemical imbalance which can only be fixed with medication. This is the one that normally trips people up, particularly friends and family. They can't fathom why someone with a decent life could feel down. It's because they have no control over it.

To the OP - just keep in touch with your mate, don't take no for an answer.

"Snap yourself out of it, man!" f***ing hell that was another one of my classic comments when trying to help.

Seriously, I think I could write a self help book on what not to do when dealing with depression!

"Pull yourself together"

"Snap out of it man!"

"Worse things happen at sea!"

And the absolute pearler of a night when I explained to her how miserable she was making my life with her "dour countenance & perma-misery!"

Class act, me, I am!

I know mate, and I would NEVER use those terms when talking to someone who I knew was clinically depressed.

If anyone is feeling depressed then tell someone about it and book an appointment at the docs and take it from there.

Also eating well and plenty of exercise does help an awful lot.

Work hard,stay busy,dont drink alcohol,get plenty sleep,slow your life down............all helps....

Nice to see blurks having a proper discussion about these sort of things, I think a lot of the problem is fellas feel the need to just put a brave face on as other lads they know don't let on if they are struggling when truth be told they either are or have gone through the same sort of things themselves.

I'm not really one to talk like cos get down quite a bit and just grit my teeth and soldier on without saying anything, but then I don't know if it would be classed as depression, clearly not as down as some people get.

Yep I find this. I haven't ever gone to a doctor about depression because I don't feel as if I have a serious enough case to warrant it since I tend to be fine but sometimes I have a few days in a row where I just dont want to do anything- I enjoy seeing my brother in the evening and watching a film/ having a few cans but sometimes he'll call and I'll just think "oh fuck off I dont want you to come round" and instead of seeing him I'll basically sit around not wanting to do anything (generally posting/ reading on here to pass the evening away). You realise that a lot of people would say "snap out of it man, just come to the pub and enjoy yourself" but you know yourself that no matter how many mates are around you and no matter how much banter is going on in the pub etc, you wouldnt feel happy, you'd feel withdrawn, distant and you'd want to go back into your shell and be alone. Knowing that you should "snap out of it" but can't is a real bastard.

Sounds familiar mate, PM me anytime you want about it.

With me its got that bad before where i'll admit ending it crosses your mind, because you just think 'whats the point?' But I would never actaully do it, thankfully for me theres always that little ray of hope im ok, I have too many friends and family who care about me

ayesane said:
everyone gets low - some lower then others admittedly - but being depressed is part of the human condition, I'm abit low my self atm after my holiday break and post-christmas bank account.

perhaps that the difference.. i know why I'm low and it will pass because of that. I knew a lass who had no idea why she cried, she's sorted now though.

You are immensely smug in your complete ignorance.

With me its got that bad before where i'll admit ending it crosses your mind, because you just think 'whats the point?' But I would never actaully do it, thankfully for me theres always that little ray of hope im ok, I have too many friends and family who care about me
have you spoke about this so candidly with friends and family? Just I know you said your dad posts on here too

Cheers mate, and you're free to PM me anytime you want to as well. I think my experience is pretty much the same as yours- often I think "whats the f***ing point" but like yourself I do always remember that there are family and friends who need me, I'm very fortunate that I've never thought "they'd be better off without me" and I think the first time I ever feel like that is when I'd be straight off to the doctors. Its a bastard of an illness and there are so many people coping (or trying to cope) with it and so little discussion about it. Canny thread this like, its amazing when the SMB gets sensible for a thread or two!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back