Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started a thread a while back about being Bi-polar, i write a blog about it sporadically too if anyone wants to have a read.

http://reetintheheed.blogspot.com/

I will tell you, its f***ing hell on earth and on more than one occasion i've wondered about ending it, i have coping mechanisms that arent hugely healthy like self hurting etc, and ive packed drinking and drug taking in, my lass controls my finances too cos on a high id just spend a fortune on f***ing daft stuff. one small step at a time. at this moment im in it pretty deep. The news about podge was a shock, id been talking to him breifly on facebook about depression and he'd left me a message a couple of weeks back saying i wanst alone. I wish i could have found the right thing to say.

the first step is to see a doc. and hope they are good. it took me 3 doctors before i got any good help and im on my god-knows-how-many set of tablet combos now. like i say though, theres absolutely no quick fix and mental strength has to be huge to even start to overcome this.

Massively important. Alcohol is a depressant.

:lol:

Got pretty close to this lass in the last 6 months of last year who loved to knock back the wine atleast 1 bottle a night.

Could tell she was depressed and only drinking to block it out but she couldnt see it and the only answer to her was to carry on drinking even tho it just made her worse.

Tried helping her but she was having none of it, whats that saying you can only help those who want to help themselves.

I posted this on my FB a while ago & probably sums up how I feel when I'm depressed & exactly why it's so hard to spot the signs.

I have bi-polar & it's tough, my doc described it as like being epileptic, I'm never going to be 'cured', only 'stable' and with that comes the fear every time you feel a bit low, is this the start of something bad or just a crappy day. Conversely it also means that if I'm feeling particularly chipper there's the wariness that it might be a manic episode. I've also started to learn not to ask for help as much anymore... you try to put yourself out there but in my experience a lot of people will try to ignore what they're seeing rather than help... sad but true :-(

some of my loneliest experiences are matchdays, feeling lonely in a crowd of 40+ thousand is a horrible thing but my love of the Lads keeps me going. if i stayed home instead i'd be worse so I have to keep forcing myself out there & try to swallow the anxiety etc away.

This. This. This. This. Thank you.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how people with depression have a really bad effect on those around them, it is a me me me illness and they don't give a shit about anyone else.

It would be interesting to do a fly on the wall documentary involving a family who have someone with depression living with them.

Very interesting.

Some of the posters on here will know who I'm talking about.
Not a Sunderland fan but a good mate of one of Seaburns top lads, they were out on the drink together on the Friday night and he just disappeared, one of the lads brayed on his door a couple of days later and when he didn't get an answer he kicked the door in and found him hanging in his garage.
Depression is a seriously dangerous illness and isn't taken seriously enough.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how people with depression have a really bad effect on those around them, it is a me me me illness and they don't give a shit about anyone else.

It would be interesting to do a fly on the wall documentary involving a family who have someone with depression living with them.

Very interesting.

Me me f***ing me?On most days people are fighting for their mental well being,you ignorant twat.f***ing hell.:roll:

Very interesting.

:lol::lol::lol:

That's brilliant. They are just attention seekers?

Very interesting.

While at times i think this is true I am very concious of the feelings and well being of those around me, its those that have kept me alive in the darkest times. Im not, i don't think, a selfish lad, i try and do most things i can to help others, but sometimes you do want to shut the world out.

Got pretty close to this lass in the last 6 months of last year who loved to knock back the wine atleast 1 bottle a night.

Could tell she was depressed and only drinking to block it out but she couldnt see it and the only answer to her was to carry on drinking even tho it just made her worse.

Tried helping her but she was having none of it, whats that saying you can only help those who want to help themselves.

The point is mate, if you are suffering from serious depression, you may not be capable of helping yourself. I wanted to help myself, but for a long time couldn't focus on anything long enough to achieve anything.
Believe me, the last thing the depressed person wants is that black cloud to linger overhead.
They need help and cannot always help themselves.

People often seem to believe drink is a solution, nothing could be further from the truth. A lad I know is the same, he just can't, or wont, see that he's always worse after drink.

This. This. This. This. Thank you.

you're very welcome, i've drawn strength reading your blog too, sometimes just knowing there's someone else out there who feels the same can ease the isolation for a while... i actually feel a little rattled & uneasy & tearful now after typing these posts out. honesty really bloody hurts sometimes.

Massively important. Alcohol is a depressant.

:lol:

Yep- I've recently decided to knock drink on the head apart from days when Sunderland play. I was finding for a good few months that, although I never drink when I have work the next day, I was getting pissed every night before a day off. It would be a Friday (or a matchless Saturday), I'd be sat in the house on me own, no plans, nothing happening and instead of just watching a film and going to bed ready for the next day, I'd think "better have some drink" and I'd end up having 12-15 cans just whilst sitting about doing fuck all- if it was a Saturday I'd crack open a can at noon and just keep drinking because "theres fuck all else to do" (as if getting pissed will suddenly make exciting things happen!).

I was actually starting to wonder whether that could count as being alcoholic even though I can so easily go without a drink when I need to be up the next morning, its strange to be thinking "might as well get pissed" knowing that theres no reason to do so but being unable or unwilling to stop yourself. Only had a couple of weeks of moderating my drinking but I feel a bit better already- it might also help me lose weight which will help confidence etc, it all helps

Not sure if this is the best time to start a thread like this but it's something that needs to be asked. In the last two years I've had 3 mates 'give up the fight' against this (must be my shite patter), and in each case i never knew they were suffering from it.
What i want/need to know is, if i did know what could i do to help them, and what signs should i look out for to realise my mates may have depression?
Each time I've been left wondering..'If only I'd known..' but then start thinking 'even if I'd known, what could i do..?'
I'm sure there are websites out there explaining it but there's nothing better than advice from someone with personal experience
Mods, if you think this thread is 'too soon' please delete it, I'll understand

All you can do is be there for someone mate, if they're suffering in silence you've got no chance but quite often it gets to the point with someone where there's nothing you can do. I've known a number of people with it and when it really (like really, really) kicks in it can be as terminal as any cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back