Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just what i was going to post :)

Anyway wanted to ask if anyone else found alcohol had a negative effect on them? i hear alot of people saying it helps them short term but for me it's just makes it feel alot worse. It's become a huge problem socially for me.

When I had depression, and reactive depression might be different from the chronic "no obvious external cause" kind, I found one very small drink (don't laugh but a glass of sherry) was good because of the slight mental fuzz it brought about, but anything in excess of this was absolutely awful and totally counter-productive.

Anyway wanted to ask if anyone else found alcohol had a negative effect on them? i hear alot of people saying it helps them short term but for me it's just makes it feel alot worse. It's become a huge problem socially for me.
its allegedly a depressant along with smoking (interfere with the production of ceratonin perhaps?) So i honestly wouldnt have thought it would be a help

Got to add that although i know it doesnt help its one of my signs. My smoking goes from about 25-30 a day up to about 60 a day

Last edited:

It does for me so i very rarely drink

Of course you have to treat any biochemical symptoms and get to the root cause of your depression, you need to address mindset. In terms of you trying to do things there IS no failure, to take a leaf out of Buddha's book. You want to exercise. You try. That's good. Force yourself to look at small victories not the fact that you haven't run a marathon. If you don't feel like going out, get a Wii fit. Do pressups. Even a wank burns 75 calories and releases endorphins into your system. It's not going to cure you but set small goals every day and take positives from meeting them or even just trying, which is miles better than doing nothing.

I know, was in to hospital as an out-patient today and talked about it with my doctor.

Think I'm going to just start going on walks in the evening around 5/6 as this is when I get really tired. What I used to try was go hell-for-leather on the exercise, maybe twice in 3/4 days, feel shattered and then stop doing it. Gradually building up with walking, light jogging, cycling is the way I'm going now I think. I used to be fit and involved in sport so I was never one for going out for a 'walk' as exercise, what 22 year old lad is.

RE: Alcohol - Kubicki;

It made me a lot worse, it's a natural depressant, it may lift your mood just for a little bit, but afterwards you get a crushing low. I'm off it for 6 months to try and stabilize my mood.

When I had depression, and reactive depression might be different from the chronic "no obvious external cause" kind, I found one very small drink (don't laugh but a glass of sherry) was good because of the slight mental fuzz it brought about, but anything in excess of this was absolutely awful and totally counter-productive.

Well this is exactly how it is for me with alcohol. Not sherry mind ;)

I'm finding it difficult to express myself on here or to be able to write down huge sentences like others. But it's been a great help to read what others are saying.

It does for me so i very rarely drink

Same here, but it's always awkward in social circumstances when everyone else is drinking heavy. I don't enjoy nights out anymore.

RE: Alcohol - Kubicki;

It made me a lot worse, it's a natural depressant, it may lift your mood just for a little bit, but afterwards you get a crushing low. I'm off it for 6 months to try and stabilize my mood.

I don't drink much anyway but stopping altogether is something i'm definitely considering. Even if it means missing out on nights out or having the odd drink at the Sunderland games.

Last edited:

It doesn't affect me TOO much to be honest, it's a terrible thing to say but having a few pints is the sometimes the only thing that keeps me 'OUT THERE' when I'd rather be hiding at home.... i must stress that it's a 'dutch courage' type thing rather than anything sinister!! like Janie said, it just helps push away the silly paranoia and nerves sometimes.

My lass wouldn't be happy with me on them, she already complains I take too long as it is. I'm not sure whether to hope for anti de presents when I see my doc on Friday or not. Not sure what ill say either.

Just bear in mind they take a few weeks to kick right in and you might need to change em a couple of times till you find one that works. I'm on Citralopram now and it's made the world of difference. 2nd weekend in November I was crying cos the kids were too noisy, Xmas day at the inlaws I was cooking dinner and pulling crackers. Best xmas i'd had in 10 years, if not longer.

Just bear in mind they take a few weeks to kick right in and you might need to change em a couple of times till you find one that works. I'm on Citralopram now and it's made the world of difference. 2nd weekend in November I was crying cos the kids were too noisy, Xmas day at the inlaws I was cooking dinner and pulling crackers. Best xmas i'd had in 10 years, if not longer.

That's powerful shit.

I'm fortunate I wasn't recommended medication for what's wrong with my noggin but then again I'm not sure it would have changed me.

With some types of mental probs, there are some things which, with practice, you can hopefully improve yourself. I did, but I still have probs even now.

I suspect I'll always have some issue now and again but I dont think that could be changed with pills.
Not sure if that's good or bad really!

That's powerful shit.

I'm fortunate I wasn't recommended medication for what's wrong with my noggin but then again I'm not sure it would have changed me.

With some types of mental probs, there are some things which, with practice, you can hopefully improve yourself. I did, but I still have probs even now.

I suspect I'll always have some issue now and again but I dont think that could be changed with pills.
Not sure if that's good or bad really!
its depends on what dose your on and how badly your affected really. the 20mgs used to take the edge off thing but recently ive had to go back to get the dose doubled.Like the poster said it`ll take another couple of weeks for the double dose to start to kick in then we`ll see how i go on them

St Johns Wort is weird stuff. It's like herbal cocaine tbh. Makes you feel on top of the world, but only for a short period. Haven't taken it for prolonged periods mind you.

Clinical depression often has nothing to do with what's happening in someone's life, it often needs no real world trigger.

I don't think mine's had a trigger as such like.

I don't think mine's had a trigger as such like.

Quite often you can't pinpoint one thing, it's a slow wearing down which gets to you over time.

re. the Citralopram, I started on 20mg, same dose I was on when the youngest was born & in intensive care, but it didn't dent this last episode. Ended up having the very bad thoughts and they doubled it on the spot, 40mg working for me a treat

Quite often you can't pinpoint one thing, it's a slow wearing down which gets to you over time.

re. the Citralopram, I started on 20mg, same dose I was on when the youngest was born & in intensive care, but it didn't dent this last episode. Ended up having the very bad thoughts and they doubled it on the spot, 40mg working for me a treat

Im on a right cocktail now like, Sertraline, Rispiredone, Lamotrigine and the occasional temazepam or diazepam.

There are different types of depression though:

1) Reactive depression - a result of current life situations and mostly temporary once the situation improves.

2) Secondary depression - the result of some other usually chronic illness

3) Clinical depression - deep, chronic and needs treatment.

A chemical imbalance results that usually requires anti depressants.

A question for those who are being treated for this (which I've now accepted I need to do, and that feels like a big step which I may not have made without this thread). Anyway, I'd happily pick up the phone and make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow and start the ball rolling in addressing this.

But I'm really worried about being put on medication right now for a number of reasons. I will have to go through a redundancy selection process (ie interviews) at work the week after next. I can't allow anything to get in the way of my preparation for that, I can't afford to lose any sharpness I can muster for that. I'm also worried, if I don't get a job (or the job I want), about the impact in terms of applying for other jobs, if I am obliged to say what treatment I was undergoing.

I realise I am jumping the gun and for all I know may not need medication.

I also accept that I can't keep putting off getting help. I must take after my Dad, who when advised he was having a heart attack and needed to go to hospital, said that was fine, but he had to wait for 48 hours because he had important meetings at work. :eek::lol::oops:

But I'm interested in SMBer experience: is there anything to worry about in terms of where seeking help will lead in terms of my ability to get through the next couple of weeks, hopefully successfully but at least in one piece?! It just feels like starting the ball rolling may lead anywhere, and not at the best time.

PM me if it works better for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A question for those who are being treated for this (which I've now accepted I need to do, and that feels like a big step which I may not have made without this thread). Anyway, I'd happily pick up the phone and make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow and start the ball rolling in addressing this.

But I'm really worried about being put on medication right now for a number of reasons. I will have to go through a redundancy selection process (ie interviews) at work the week after next. I can't allow anything to get in the way of my preparation for that, I can't afford to lose any sharpness I can muster for that. I'm also worried, if I don't get a job (or the job I want), about the impact in terms of applying for other jobs, if I am obliged to say what treatment I was undergoing.

I realise I am jumping the gun and for all I know may not need medication.

I also accept that I can't keep putting off getting help. I must take after my Dad, who when advised he was having a heart attack and needed to go to hospital, said that was fine, but he had to wait for 48 hours because he had important meetings at work. :eek::lol::oops:

But I'm interested in SMBer experience: is there anything to worry about in terms of where seeking help will lead in terms of my ability to get through the next couple of weeks, hopefully successfully but at least in one piece?! It just feels like starting the ball rolling may lead anywhere, and not at the best time.

PM me if it works better for you.

Anti depressants usually take a couple of weeks to kick in.

The more modern ones don't have the same side affects such as the older tri-cyclic anti depressants that can cause drowsiness.

See the doctor and discuss the situation but you may have to wait a while to see a councillor because of the usual waiting list unless of course it is very serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back