decking boards ,groove side down now ?

It seems up or down is the mindset.
I suppose it comes down to personal taste.
I've never installed decking groove down.
You might as well lay floorboard or 6 inch fencing boards or pallets. ;)

It seems up or down is the mindset.
I suppose it comes down to personal taste.
I've never installed decking groove down.
You might as well lay floorboard or 6 inch fencing boards or pallets. ;)
Everything is a personal choice.
But I would say that wearing your underpants on your head isn't a great idea. Wibble.

Decking is supposed to be a smooth finish. Have you ever been on a boat? Where they have a deck. Its flat.
Decking is slippery whether or not the groove side is up or down.
Some people are simply not reading the articles from the people who designed the product, or the various merchants who sell it :lol:

But I would say that wearing your underpants on your head isn't a great idea. Wibble.

Decking is supposed to be a smooth finish. Have you ever been on a boat? Where they have a deck. Its flat.

Some people are simply not reading the articles from the people who designed the product, or the various merchants who sell it :lol:

Aye, but grooves down looks shit.

Just talking from experience. Pretty much every bit of decking I`ve ever encountered, where ever it is, seems to be very slippery when it`s wet. Just a personal observation.

Aye, but grooves down looks shit.
I've had both. I think a smooth deck looks like solid wood, and miles better.
Just talking from experience. Pretty much every bit of decking I`ve ever encountered, where ever it is, seems to be very slippery when it`s wet. Just a personal observation.
If wood isn't clean, the muck that gets wet is usually slippy. Aye. Grooves make absolutely no difference to that.
Trick is to clean it, and have a good coat of something proper on it that stops water seeping in - then algae etc won't grow.

Last edited:
I've had both. I think a smooth deck looks like solid wood, and miles better.

If wood isn't clean, the muck that gets wet is usually slippy. Aye. Grooves make absolutely no difference to that.
Trick is to clean it, and have a good coat of something proper on it that stops water seeping in - then algae etc won't grow.
I think that`s the key Most of the decking I`m referring to is not new so highly likely to have algae growth.

Smooth side up why would they design a board so that water can sit in the grooves and rot the wood and turn it black or green ? Aldo make it almost impossible to maintain you can sand the smooth side or strip it easily . I used treated scaffolding boards they look class just used a floor drum sander on them and retreated them for the summer as good as new !

I think that`s the key Most of the decking I`m referring to is not new so highly likely to have algae growth.
Pressure wash one weekend when you know its going to be dry until the next weekend
Then roll some treatment on it the next weekend. Dead easy when the flat side is up too.

My problem is the damn balustrade all the way round. Its about 14 meter's worth

Smooth side up why would they design a board so that water can sit in the grooves and rot the wood and turn it black or green ? Aldo make it almost impossible to maintain you can sand the smooth side or strip it easily . I used treated scaffolding boards they look class just used a floor drum sander on them and retreated them for the summer as good as new !
If the water is in the grooves you're standing on the raised up dry bits. It seems it's personal choice you do what you prefer the look of. There's a lengthy thread here with everybody arguing the point.

If the water is in the grooves you're standing on the raised up dry bits. It seems it's personal choice you do what you prefer the look of. There's a lengthy thread here with everybody arguing the point.

The water sits in the grooves and is soaked up by the board then algae’s grows in all the bits of shit in the grooves that’s why the boards go so green and black it’s a build up of algae from water sitting in them juts admit your boards are upside down imagine not even been able to strip them or sand the finish off man like on a smooth board

Back