decking boards ,groove side down now ?

FYI, whichever way you put them they will become slippier than ice whenever they get wet.
Need treatment every year really, a complete waste of time really, paving slabs 10 times better.
I only used it to create a walking area a couple of feet above ground level around the kids pool thing, become an instant death trap.
I ended up nailing astroturf on it which worked and looked much better anarl.
Aware you can put a gripping coating on it, but then it becomes a nasty rough finish which basically means you're walking on sandpaper.

Blame Ground Force for decades of people fitting boards the wrong way round

Any old decks (pre 1999) were fitted smooth side up and the castle profiles were pretty much nonexistent is the UK or the US for that matter

Along comes Ground Force and the decking market exploded to the point where the timber yards could not cope with the demand for 3 or 4 years

The castle side is completely useless for our climate though but that’s the way Tommy Walsh fitted it and it caught on - I doubt that will change now

Relaying new deckingboards next week (is nordstroms still the best place for the boards?)
but i've spoke to a couple of tradesmen who are now putting the groove side down and smooth side up , the groove sides are for air ventalation ? as for been slippy when wet they say their is no difference what way ,what do the wise smb say ??

This for ootside ya caravan?

BOGOF at Wickes this weekend.
Stay clear from wickes and B&Q terrible stuff thinner as well ..ended up going to noddys .their deckings kept inside so not soaked through and twisted about the same price as other places as well..
As for slipping on the smooth side more than the ridge side ,think of a foot on ridge up with ice on and smooth up with ice on ..you are slipping on the ice ..not the wood .and the rotten decking i took up all had moss and dampnes in the groove off rainwater that just lies there..so its smooth side up for me ! read the earlier posts on page 1..proper decking suppliers say smooth side up..

Stay clear from wickes and B&Q terrible stuff thinner as well ..ended up going to noddys .their deckings kept inside so not soaked through and twisted about the same price as other places as well..
As for slipping on the smooth side more than the ridge side ,think of a foot on ridge up with ice on and smooth up with ice on ..you are slipping on the ice ..not the wood .and the rotten decking i took up all had moss and dampnes in the groove off rainwater that just lies there..so its smooth side up for me ! read the earlier posts on page 1..proper decking suppliers say smooth side up..
Just ordered mine today. £2500's worth. All going flat side up. Because I'm not a sheep.

I'm on Pinterest now looking at decking designs for the lads who're coming to install it tomorrow - trying to sort out the finer details of how its all going to work.

Guess what? Not a single single of "grooves" anywhere on the entire site. Just flat wooden boards.
The grey decking on the right hand side about 5 down does. There’s going to be some broken limbs in January if people put grooves face down!

put them whichever way you want. simple realy, your going to be the one looking at it for 10 years.
A'knaa.

Imagine looking that them installed wrong all that time. Oh, and 20 years if you install it the proper way up ;)
The grey decking on the right hand side about 5 down does. There’s going to be some broken limbs in January if people put grooves face down!
Again, the grooves give absolutely zero extra grip. Wet wood has grain that gives grip.
But its algae that is slippy. So just keep it clean.

I've had decking before - grooves up. Slippy as fuck when wet.

Last edited:
A'knaa.

Imagine looking that them installed wrong all that time. Oh, and 20 years if you install it the proper way up ;)

Again, the grooves give absolutely zero extra grip. Wet wood has grain that gives grip.
But its algae that is slippy. So just keep it clean.

I've had decking before - grooves up. Slippy as fuck when wet.
RIP marra.

Back