decking boards ,groove side down now ?

Resserect this thread as people might be going to put some down, i put mine grooves down in summer 2019 ,looks much better ,and after a downpour not slippy at all ,and for those who say wait till it's icy , you are slipping on the 2mm ice not the wood ,
seen this today in the mirror ,decking installers agree

Would you gan for the narrow edge or the wider one facing up? Narrow surely would be less slip as there's be more gaps for water and that to drain away and the boards cant bend but harder to do as you need longer screws?

Would you gan for the narrow edge or the wider one facing up? Narrow surely would be less slip as there's be more gaps for water and that to drain away and the boards cant bend but harder to do as you need longer screws?

Are you on about laying the boards turned through 90deg so the grooves are on the side?? I’m not sure I follow you.

Resserect this thread as people might be going to put some down, i put mine grooves down in summer 2019 ,looks much better ,and after a downpour not slippy at all ,and for those who say wait till it's icy , you are slipping on the 2mm ice not the wood ,
seen this today in the mirror ,decking installers agree

Saw this too.
I'll just bask in my "being rightness" for a little while :cool:

While we're on with Decking, has anyone tried to fill the gaps between the boards?

The knackers that fitted mine left a 4mm gap..... with wood that was obviously wet as fuck.
So now its dried out (even now, in April), the gap is about 10mm, and you can see straight through it.

I tried taking a board up to see if it was feasible to relay the lot, but the screws are burried, and it took about half an hour just to get one board up - so that's not going to happen.
I read that natural rope is the way to go. A little wider than the gap, and pushed into place.

Any other suggestions?

While we're on with Decking, has anyone tried to fill the gaps between the boards?

The knackers that fitted mine left a 4mm gap..... with wood that was obviously wet as fuck.
So now its dried out (even now, in April), the gap is about 10mm, and you can see straight through it.

I tried taking a board up to see if it was feasible to relay the lot, but the screws are burried, and it took about half an hour just to get one board up - so that's not going to happen.
I read that natural rope is the way to go. A little wider than the gap, and pushed into place.

Any other suggestions?
That’s what they used to seal gaps in boat hulls so it should do the job. That or you can get rope caulk which is a kind of waterproof putty.

Any other suggestions?
#prayforthosepoorstarvingrats

Any other suggestions?
I don't think that is a good idea, I sure the idea is for airflow, blocking the gaps will cause it to stay wet, rot and algae, someone to slip. usually when you buy treated timber it's wet off the preservation of the wood (same for fencing) and will shrink over time.
l don't think I've seen that with rope before.

I don't think that is a good idea, I sure the idea is for airflow, blocking the gaps will cause it to stay wet, rot and algae, someone to slip. usually when you buy treated timber it's wet off the preservation of the wood (same for fencing) and will shrink over time.
l don't think I've seen that with rope before.
Gap is just for expansion, not for airflow.
That's what the grooves underneath are for, ironically.

I can't leave it like this

Gap is just for expansion, not for airflow.
That's what the grooves underneath are for, ironically.

I can't leave it like this

I would have thought it was for both, groves on the top won't provide ventilation for the joists below.

Back