decking boards ,groove side down now ?

The water sits in the grooves and is soaked up by the board then algae’s grows in all the bits of shit in the grooves that’s why the boards go so green and black it’s a build up of algae from water sitting in them juts admit your boards are upside down imagine not even been able to strip them or sand the finish off man like on a smooth board
:lol: My boards are upside down are they? Where did I even say I had decking? I just pointed out one of the arguments for groove side up as being discussed on that thread I linked.
Originally decking had fairly deep grooves routed in and they were meant to be on the underside. They helped ventilate the boards and also stopped the boards from cupping. Then some folk decided to put the grooves up because they liked the look.
Nowadays you can get decking with very fine grooves that are not for ventilation or cupping. They are made to be uppermost. Things evolve and what once was isn't necessarily what is today. It's personal choice so it's a daft argument really.
As for your point about algae and muck in the grooves. You're allowed to hose them down or brush them you know. That's how I clean my patio anyway. It works.

:lol: My boards are upside down are they? Where did I even say I had decking? I just pointed out one of the arguments for groove side up as being discussed on that thread I linked.
Originally decking had fairly deep grooves routed in and they were meant to be on the underside. They helped ventilate the boards and also stopped the boards from cupping. Then some folk decided to put the grooves up because they liked the look.
Nowadays you can get decking with very fine grooves that are not for ventilation or cupping. They are made to be uppermost. Things evolve and what once was isn't necessarily what is today. It's personal choice so it's a daft argument really.
As for your point about algae and muck in the grooves. You're allowed to hose them down or brush them you know. That's how I clean my patio anyway. It works.
Every few days in autumn? and do you dry the grooves out in winter ??

You should lay the deck to a slight fall. The grooves concentrate the standing water and channel this to assist run-off.
Ya can only create a fall on a decking board below a certain length unless you want a skateboard ramp even then the water won’t run off completely

Groove side up for me
Tried it the other way and was too slippy.
Chucked composite down this time, hopefully it lasts longer

Did you put composite on the existing wood frame? Composite was too expensive for the size I needed at time but would like it in future as its a pain in the arse painting the wood every year.

Ya can only create a fall on a decking board below a certain length unless you want a skateboard ramp even then the water won’t run off completely

Do you often make stuff up? You don’t lay them on a severe angle, only a very slight gradient which is hardly noticeable to the eye. The only limiting factor about length is what length boards you can buy.

Anyway:

Common practice is 1:10 falls. No the wonder you have an ice rink with algae growing on it.

Every few days in autumn? and do you dry the grooves out in winter ??
Had mine with the grooves up for 15 years before it started to rot and needed renewed. Happy with that service life tbh. It was thick decking from timberline in jarrow. Not the shite stuff in b&q etc.

Everyone has a preference, if everyone liked the same styles the world would be a very boring place.

You should lay the deck to a slight fall. The grooves concentrate the standing water and channel this to assist run-off.
There's no way a 10m wide deck can have enough fall that the undulations in natural wood will simply run off without it being on a bank!
Do you often make stuff up? You don’t lay them on a severe angle, only a very slight gradient which is hardly noticeable to the eye. The only limiting factor about length is what length boards you can buy.

Anyway:

Common practice is 1:10 falls. No the wonder you have an ice rink with algae growing on it.
1:10? Mine would be literally a meter higher at one end than the other. I could race the kids down that :lol:

Had mine with the grooves up for 15 years before it started to rot and needed renewed. Happy with that service life tbh. It was thick decking from timberline in jarrow. Not the shite stuff in b&q etc.

Everyone has a preference, if everyone liked the same styles the world would be a very boring place.
the same style is grooved side up tho thats what everyones got

Anyway:

you can't lay a 3 metre board with sufficient fall for water to run off man do the maths the fall has to be 1:10 do you often talk shite mate?

Last edited:
There's no way a 10m wide deck can have enough fall that the undulations in natural wood will simply run off without it being on a bank!

1:10? Mine would be literally a meter higher at one end than the other. I could race the kids down that :lol:

the same style is grooved side up tho thats what everyones got

you can't lay a 3 metre board with sufficient fall for water to run off man do the maths the fall has to be 1:10 do you often talk shite mate?

Missed a 0 off the end. 1:100

Aye your right. I hope I get an invite to gan ice skating at @Whitburnmakem’s gaff on his perfectly level rink.
Paved patio at the new house for me so none of these decking decisions to make. Only problem is that it’s cheap shit that the builder has put down and I’d like to replace it with riven slate. That can wait till next year though.

Paved patio at the new house for me so none of these decking decisions to make. Only problem is that it’s cheap shit that the builder has put down and I’d like to replace it with riven slate. That can wait till next year though.

Is that now all sorted? When is the planned move date? Top news!

Back