December challenge - Low Light photography - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

By the way one of the teeny tiny heads in mine is Nicholas Witchell. He looks surprisingly saggy-faced in real life. I should have hung around and tried to get a better shot but I felt a bit self-conscious as it was being a voyeur on the voyeurs.

I generally find peachbums comments to be fair. Some constructive criticism is good when it's aimed at helping. Good way to learn IMO. When giving feedback I do worry about being harsh and putting people off.

Tiredeyes has toned it down a bit since I gave him a virtual bitchslap over derelictgate :)

I generally find peachbums comments to be fair. Some constructive criticism is good when it's aimed at helping. Good way to learn IMO. When giving feedback I do worry about being harsh and putting people off.

Tiredeyes has toned it down a bit since I gave him a virtual bitchslap over derelictgate :)

licky arse! :lol:

No problem with constructive criticism, it's stuff like "too strong on the eye", "everything that is wrong with photography today", "doesn't do anything for me" and "doesn't meet the remit" (and no further explanation).

Would be a lot easier if we just went back to C&C only if requested.

No problem with constructive criticism, it's stuff like "too strong on the eye", "everything that is wrong with photography today", "doesn't do anything for me" and "doesn't meet the remit" (and no further explanation).

Would be a lot easier if we just went back to C&C only if requested.
agreed

The individual review posts are always likely to upset newbies tbh

I've always restrained myself. Everyone who enters has put in a lot of effort and presumably likes their own shot

Photographic taste is an very individual issue of course.

The individual review posts are always likely to upset newbies tbh

I've always restrained myself. Everyone who enters has put in a lot of effort and presumably likes their own shot

Photographic taste is an very individual issue of course.
why can't we all just get along?! Except peachbum and TE, their shots are always shite. ;)

why can't we all just get along?! Except peachbum and TE, their shots are always shite. ;)

:lol:

Cliqueishness is a potential problem I agree (fckin wire wool mob ;)) but I think in general we are helpful and welcoming to newbies

Hey Mr Tiger - I think I'd like my entry taken down. Seems in very bad taste now :neutral:.

I agree with the comments about some of the negative critiques. It's one of the reasons that I've stayed away for a while now. I didn't always have time to dedicate to putting together a decent entry but I always tried to put something in because I thought that what we were doing was a very nice thing. After a while it was getting to be very bad for the self esteem and I just thought it wasn't worth the hassle.

FWIW, I generally enjoyed PB's critiques. I liked the more in-depth critiques that posters used to take the time to write (and I always tried to reciprocate) and this seems to be something that has been lost from the competition.

Anyhoo, I'm starting to put a lot of effort back into photography again after a while out of the game so please go easy!

erm...

"This photo is everything that is wrong with photography at the moment".

Your partner in crime Tiredeyes usually comes out with some crackers as well.

I was under the impression the critiques (not just mine but all of them)were quite popular - how do we learn otherwise? I do try to criticise positively, not negatively.

I did add imo to the above comment iirc.

It is fairly well documented that I don't like post production, it isn't photography - it is another skill. I won't do critiques if they aren't liked. For ref AB used to ask us to give our reasons for voting, or not voting.

Personally if we aren't going to learn anything from our entries, it isn't worth doing is it? Be a bit tame if it ends up "nice photo" all the time.

To compare me with TiredEyes is a tad harsh because I don't swear and I have never called a photo s***.

Edit: just read all the posts. Sorry to any I have offended.

I always thought a bit of outspokeness added something but obviously not. It is only an opinion that I post. I've never moaned when my photos have picked up few votes or have been criticised, and I've always been pleased if anybody at all commented on mine. Thanks to all those who have voted for my photos and bothered to comment both online and privately.

I agree with the comments about some of the negative critiques. It's one of the reasons that I've stayed away for a while now. I didn't always have time to dedicate to putting together a decent entry but I always tried to put something in because I thought that what we were doing was a very nice thing. After a while it was getting to be very bad for the self esteem and I just thought it wasn't worth the hassle.

FWIW, I generally enjoyed PB's critiques. I liked the more in-depth critiques that posters used to take the time to write (and I always tried to reciprocate) and this seems to be something that has been lost from the competition.

Anyhoo, I'm starting to put a lot of effort back into photography again after a while out of the game so please go easy!

I think that its a real shame that you have kept away - since some of your shots across the competitions have been excellent.

Unfortunately, the "culture and ethos" of some interaction on other areas of the SMB seem to be brought to this section by TE, who seems to have failed to recognise the different tone used here. I think that's a shame since its having the reaction you have described. I fear he may need ritalin, since too many competition shots appear to hold his attention.

It was very good to see janiep posting a picture again - though wholly the correct decision to take it down.

I think this section is missing some other excellent photographers who post less on here these days:

Iain Hesford's Bait Box
Not Spavin
Andy M
Clyde

...and several others contributed great shots to this part of the board and its a shame we get fewer these days - I hope they come back since it keeps the quality of the competitions (which are great) really high.

Back in 2009, this thread seemed to get the whole thing going:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=456064

One of my very favourite threads on this board - since there was such a wealth of great shots - with some genuine appreciation of the quality involved going on there. There were also some okay /average shots which were great too! To the best of my understanding - this section is for the full range of skills - not just the experts - so that, surely is to be encouraged too.

I love to see other people's shots - and it would be great if people posted more beyond just those used in the competition in this section too.

In commenting terms, a focus on what has worked in a shot combined with an earnest attempt to make suggestions for improvement, rather than a fairly mindless destruction dismissal of someone's hard work is called for.

Since I rarely post - but frequently watch this section of the board I'll just finish with a quick appreciation of the excellent job that AB22 ET does here too.

I was under the impression the critiques (not just mine but all of them)were quite popular - how do we learn otherwise? I do try to criticise positively, not negatively.

I did add imo to the above comment iirc.

It is fairly well documented that I don't like post production, it isn't photography - it is another skill. I won't do critiques if they aren't liked. For ref AB used to ask us to give our reasons for voting, or not voting.

Personally if we aren't going to learn anything from our entries, it isn't worth doing is it? Be a bit tame if it ends up "nice photo" all the time.

To compare me with TiredEyes is a tad harsh because I don't swear and I have never called a photo s***.

Edit: just read all the posts. Sorry to any I have offended.

I always thought a bit of outspokeness added something but obviously not. It is only an opinion that I post. I've never moaned when my photos have picked up few votes or have been criticised, and I've always been pleased if anybody at all commented on mine. Thanks to all those who have voted for my photos and bothered to comment both online and privately.

You hereby have permission to comment on any photos I post. If anyone gets genuinely upset about any critique then they shouldn't post them IMO, surely we're all big boys and girls and I like to hear other people opinions about my shots

I think that its a real shame that you have kept away - since some of your shots across the competitions have been excellent.

Unfortunately, the "culture and ethos" of some interaction on other areas of the SMB seem to be brought to this section by TE, who seems to have failed to recognise the different tone used here. I think that's a shame since its having the reaction you have described. I fear he may need ritalin, since too many competition shots appear to hold his attention.

It was very good to see janiep posting a picture again - though wholly the correct decision to take it down.

I think this section is missing some other excellent photographers who post less on here these days:

Iain Hesford's Bait Box
Not Spavin
Andy M
Clyde

...and several others contributed great shots to this part of the board and its a shame we get fewer these days - I hope they come back since it keeps the quality of the competitions (which are great) really high.

One of my very favourite threads on this board - since there was such a wealth of great shots - with some genuine appreciation of the quality involved going on there. There were also some okay /average shots which were great too! To the best of my understanding - this section is for the full range of skills - not just the experts - so that, surely is to be encouraged too.

I love to see other people's shots - and it would be great if people posted more beyond just those used in the competition in this section too.

In commenting terms, a focus on what has worked in a shot combined with an earnest attempt to make suggestions for improvement, rather than a fairly mindless destruction dismissal of someone's hard work is called for.

Since I rarely post - but frequently watch this section of the board I'll just finish with a quick appreciation of the excellent job that AB22 ET does here too.

Gerrin. That was my thread under my old username :cool:

Shame like, I started it, but when I throw a few pics up and actually ask for a little critique, no one bothers replying. Ironic or what.... :oops:

Gerrin. That was my thread under my old username :cool:

Shame like, I started it, but when I throw a few pics up and actually ask for a little critique, no one bothers replying. Ironic or what.... :oops:

Yeah - great thread that!

Reminds me that the list of top photographers who used to (but no longer appear to) come on this section of the board include

Chillie 63
Scraff

Any others who don't come here anymore that we need to get included in the competitions again?

Yeah - great thread that!

Reminds me that the list of top photographers who used to (but no longer appear to) come on this section of the board include

Chillie 63
Scraff

Any others who don't come here anymore that we need to get included in the competitions again?

Chillie was Hesford I think?

Iain Hesford's Bait Box
Not Spavin
Andy M
Clyde

To be fair, it wasn't just the harsh criticism that kept me away...it was also finishing my masters and actually having to go to work every day!

Agree 100% about some of the missed posters. Clyde and Hesford were good eggs and excellent toggers. I noticed recently that Clye said he was quitting Flickr too. Tis a shame as I really enjoyed his work. I know Spav is still a prolific poster and I'm sure he had his own reasons for not getting involved as much but he's definitely missed. I suppose it's this kind of craic that made people feel like it was a bit of a clique on here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back