December challenge - Low Light photography - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You hereby have permission to comment on any photos I post. If anyone gets genuinely upset about any critique then they shouldn't post them IMO, surely we're all big boys and girls and I like to hear other people opinions about my shots

Thanks oROSSo. :)
I think we have to put"C&C not wanted" if we don't want comments.

No problem with constructive criticism, it's stuff like "too strong on the eye", "everything that is wrong with photography today", "doesn't do anything for me" and "doesn't meet the remit" (and no further explanation).

A tad selective I think just picking those three. I picked one of my critiques at random and I reckon it is positive.

I've finished biting now. :lol:

(post 6).

Really just pleased to get some votes and comments, positive or otherwise.

Negative criticism is like water off a ducks back.

When you were brought up in the raggy end of South Hylton in the 40's and 50s ( yes I can remember Hurricanes taking off from Usworth during the war, and AB22EasyTiger's grandfather) you had to have a skin as thick as Arthur Poole's sausages.
Add that to some of the initiation ceremonies that were part of a five year apprenticeship in Doxfords,and you're prepared for anything in life.
Including comments about a photograph on a website.

What a f***ing bunch of soft puffs :oops:

wahh, wahh, Tired said mine was shit and he's obviously the daddy when it comes to photography :roll: - I'm sorry for being so amateurishly blunt and crass, rather than the soft, wishy washy arselicking bullshit you all love hearing from each other.

I'll leave you all to digitally manipulate the shit out of each other !!

:lol:

What a f***ing bunch of soft puffs

wahh, wahh, Tired said mine was shit and he's obviously the daddy when it comes to photography :roll: - I'm sorry for being so amateurishly blunt and crass, rather than the soft, wishy washy arselicking bullshit you all love hearing from each other.

I'll leave you all to digitally manipulate the shit out of each other !!

still making your self popular I see :lol: you should be pleased no one is as crass/blunt/bellendish as your self when dishing out critique, you would probably not pick up your camera again.

Or is it, as you have claimed previously, we don't understand as it's too abstract for us. :lol:

still making your self popular I see :lol: you should be pleased no one is as crass/blunt/bellendish as your self when dishing out critique, you would probably not pick up your camera again.

Or is it, as you have claimed previously, we don't understand as it's too abstract for us. :lol:

Clearly bullshit or you'd quote my actual post claiming this.

If I think it's shit, I'll tell you I think it's shit, if you can't handle it, that's your problem, not mine.

Clearly bullshit or you'd quote my actual post claiming this.

If I think it's shit, I'll tell you I think it's shit, if you can't handle it, that's your problem, not mine.

Regulars I would think are fair game, but how would you think a newbie would respond to a TE mauling?

Regulars I would think are fair game, but how would you think a newbie would respond to a TE mauling?

A mauling, ffs man !! I think the worst thing I've said is "I think it's shit" or something along those lines, f***ing drama queens.

...... also I don't hear any newbies moaning, do you ??

No problem with constructive criticism, it's stuff like "too strong on the eye", "everything that is wrong with photography today", "doesn't do anything for me" and "doesn't meet the remit" (and no further explanation).

Would be a lot easier if we just went back to C&C only if requested.

What would you have me say,

"doesn't do it for me" is me restraining myself from saying "what a pile of steaming turd, that is boring as fuck, you must try harder"

If I actually knew what the fuck I was talking about when it came to photography, then maybe I could articulate some beautiful poetic nonsense involving photographic technical terms that might make you feel warm and fuzzy inside but alas I don't know shit about photography, except how to annoy photographers :lol:

Last edited:
Shame it wasn't lowlight - I'd have a real chance of winning then. I haven't entered for months but I might make the effort to have a go this month.

I don't think there's owt wrong with people critiquing other submissions like... bit sad if you start crying because someone says your image was a bit underexposed or need a shallower DOF etc.

Aye if someone calls you a shithead with wonky fingers who couldn't take a decent pic if their life depended on it then fair enough, but otherwise people need to man up and not get all huffy because PeachBum said she didn't like it or what ever.

Haven't been in a monthly comp for a while. (not cos I'm scared someone will say my work is shit or what have you.)

Didn't realise it was getting so heated on here :lol: With critique stuff I've usually found it useful, even when people say it's awful or can be sometimes a bit condescending. But I just take it in and use bit and pieces of it. Just because someone doesn't like my photo it doesn't mean it isnt good. I find people pointing out the shit bits can usually help me correct it in the future. People need to be a bit less defensive of their work and perhaps not take it too personally when someone points out an issue.

Granted though, I think if say someone posts an photo who doesn't really do much photography and just does it for enjoyment, or someone is pretty new to it. Then I think people could perhaps not be so brunt.

Oh dear!

I suspect, with no activity on this part of the SMB for several days, that this thread has become a microcosm of the whole photography section these days.

In my line of business - I have to accept criticism, negativity and absorb weird and wonderful personalities - whilst coming back with a smile and a good word / encouragement.

On this section of the board - I'm here for leisure / enjoyment - and I don't particularly want to have to - even though I could do so without a second thought. I'm sure we would all agree that the main perpetrator is an utter irrelevance.

I think the huge majority of people who frequent this section are perfectly mentally tough and capable of dealing with the unnecessarily critical comments. Unfortunately, the comments, in turn leave a sour "taste in the mouth" and drive people away.

The vast majority of people on here are not professional photographers and are trying techniques and artistic approaches that leave them vulnerable - in a way that is unique on this board (no one would express a verbal vulnerability on the PF or SMB section knowingly.) I believe that genuine constructive criticism is completely acceptable - and, more than that - what is sought - but the destructive stuff is just wiping this place out, which is a real shame.

Its similar (the vulnerability) in some respects to watching a children's football team and then when an underperforming player comes off - laying into them using the tone from the rest of the SMB. The comments may be true, accurate and to the point, but they are not necessary or encouraging. They certainly won't result in further attempts at future creativity.

To improve - we have to take risks - but sometimes on here folks will inevitably conclude that the risks are not worth it - especially when places like Talk Photography, broadly speaking, will accommodate the opportunity.

Shame really that one or two can have such a destructive impact.

Lets get back to "having a go" artistically and constructive criticism - as has been suggested throughout this thread - and lets collectively pounce on anyone who thwarts that. Perhaps this area will flourish again.

- and lets collectively pounce on anyone who thwarts that.

... :eek: it's already happened, perhaps newbies see this collective gang culture as an impenetrable bullying clique, it's what you seem to have described and what appears to be happening on this very thread.

:confused:

... :eek: it's already happened, perhaps newbies see this collective gang culture as an impenetrable bullying clique, it's what you seem to have described and what appears to be happening on this very thread.

:confused:

stop being such a puff and sort your self out you drama queen. ffs bullying.. :lol:

Oh dear!

I suspect, with no activity on this part of the SMB for several days, that this thread has become a microcosm of the whole photography section these days.

In my line of business - I have to accept criticism, negativity and absorb weird and wonderful personalities - whilst coming back with a smile and a good word / encouragement.

On this section of the board - I'm here for leisure / enjoyment - and I don't particularly want to have to - even though I could do so without a second thought. I'm sure we would all agree that the main perpetrator is an utter irrelevance.

I think the huge majority of people who frequent this section are perfectly mentally tough and capable of dealing with the unnecessarily critical comments. Unfortunately, the comments, in turn leave a sour "taste in the mouth" and drive people away.

The vast majority of people on here are not professional photographers and are trying techniques and artistic approaches that leave them vulnerable - in a way that is unique on this board (no one would express a verbal vulnerability on the PF or SMB section knowingly.) I believe that genuine constructive criticism is completely acceptable - and, more than that - what is sought - but the destructive stuff is just wiping this place out, which is a real shame.

Its similar (the vulnerability) in some respects to watching a children's football team and then when an underperforming player comes off - laying into them using the tone from the rest of the SMB. The comments may be true, accurate and to the point, but they are not necessary or encouraging. They certainly won't result in further attempts at future creativity.

To improve - we have to take risks - but sometimes on here folks will inevitably conclude that the risks are not worth it - especially when places like Talk Photography, broadly speaking, will accommodate the opportunity.

Shame really that one or two can have such a destructive impact.

Lets get back to "having a go" artistically and constructive criticism - as has been suggested throughout this thread - and lets collectively pounce on anyone who thwarts that. Perhaps this area will flourish again.
Logon or register to see this image

Class shot you've posted in the entries thread mate!

This one though really is amazing... what are the chances you'd have a plane write that just as you were taking the shot? amazing :lol:

The entry one is clearly fakery as he's shopped out the Vulcan bomber :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back