Dark beer lovers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I used to like Mackeson's Stout back in the day.

Is it still going, and how does it compare ?

It's nice and tasty but weak as piss and with a very thin mouthfeel. Considering the low alcohol content, it's extremely expensive. And it's only available in small tins, iirc smaller than a standard fizzy pop tin. Therefore I'm out.

It's nice and tasty but weak as piss and with a very thin mouthfeel. Considering the low alcohol content, it's extremely expensive. And it's only available in small tins, iirc smaller than a standard fizzy pop tin. Therefore I'm out.
Haven't drunk it in many a year.

It is now a ghost brand (i.e. they do no advertising for it), and it sounds like they are plenty of reasonably priced alternatives out there that are a decent drop.

Haven't drunk it in many a year.

It is now a ghost brand (i.e. they do no advertising for it), and it sounds like they are plenty of reasonably priced alternatives out there that are a decent drop.

The Guinness Milk Stout I mentioned in my op tastes a lot like Mackeson but with a lot more heft both in terms of mouthfeel and alcoholic welly. And a lot cheaper by volume!

I can highly recommend Guinness Milk Stout and Guinness West Indies Porter. Beautiful tasty pints (or 500mls).

Available on 4 for £6 in Mozzas Seaburn. Well it was, until our lass bought the last four bottles for me this lunchtime. But they'll get more in.
jet black heart ( brewdog) 8 tins for £10 at morrisons

Not usually a fan of dark beers but once had one called Stout Keith (brewery is Keith) which was fuckin delicious.

I have not had Porter for a few years and then I tasted Timothy Taylor's Porter - very nice. I am willing to try others that have been mentioned. It is a man's job I have to do.

I tried the Denver Milk Stout from Asda. Nice drop. I still think I prefer Guinness Milk Stout though.

Love a Guinness me

It’s class no doubt there are better darks out there but you can get it everywhere. I don’t mind the stuff out the cans and then put on the surger. Still a decent pint.

Hammerton's Peanut Butter Milk Stout is lusherooney. Can recommend.
Thought you were vegan?

The border between stout and porter has been blurred in recent years. Originally they were similar beer with one being stout (strong) and the other being less so.
I believe these days, stouts are made with roasted unmalted barley whereas porters used malted barleys such as black malt or chocolate malt.

Last edited:
Just remembered that P's &Q's down the town sell Anchor porter, or at least they did last year. Cracking beer, one of my favourite porters, remember drinking it in the sun after the England games last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back