Cutting the Grass

yeah I will have to scarify as well..its built up over a couple of years but its been less cold and more damp this year so its spreading

kill it back then rake it out is the only way really, you never really get rid but if I can thin it out the grass will come back in the summer
Moss?
No, scarify first. Then put your moss treatment down to kill the small amount you didn't get out.
Otherwise the moss will, ironically, sheild some of the other moss from the treatment.
I've been thinking about buying this

I've got one with the similar spring tines. Its ok. Does the trick I suppose, although its hard work.
A good website for lawn lubbers.
My aim this year is to reduce the amount of moss on a north facing lawn.
Its a good site that.
I also like Premier Lawns on youtube

Might do that next week weather permitting.
Also the aerator will be given a run over it too.
What aerator have you got?
My lawn is such heavy clay. I rented a proper hollow tine machine last year for £100. But it needs doing 2 or 3 more times, and I need to brush sand in really, as the drainage is awful.

Last edited:
Moss?
No, scarify first. Then put your moss treatment down to kill the small amount you didn't get out.
Otherwise the moss will, ironically, sheild some of the other moss from the treatment.

I've got one with the similar spring tines. Its ok. Does the trick I suppose, although its hard work.

Its a good site that.

My lawn is such heavy clay. I rented a proper hollow tine machine last year for £100. But it needs doing 2 or 3 more times, and I need to brush sand in really, as the drainage is awful.
ta for link. I have given up with the front lawn. I am now planting shrubs along one side instead of continually striving for a perfect lawn. There’s still a section remaining that has moss but at least it’s green.

ta for link. I have given up with the front lawn. I am now planting shrubs along one side instead of continually striving for a perfect lawn. There’s still a section remaining that has moss but at least it’s green.
My lawn is terrible, but I'm learning more and more. My soil is awful though, hard clay with no "top soil" at all. And too much POA/Annual Meadow Grass, which there's no chemical treatment for - other than killing everything. Its a bastard

My lawn is terrible, but I'm learning more and more. My soil is awful though, hard clay with no "top soil" at all. And too much POA/Annual Meadow Grass, which there's no chemical treatment for - other than killing everything. Its a bastard
yes our soil is mainly clay. I dug out some areas and replaced with bags of topsoil then reseeded but to do the whole lawn I’d need a digger, soil and turf. It would look nice but I don’t want a lawn to be my precious (quoting Gollum as reading LOTR).

The best few square metres is some turf that I liberated from a skip! I asked the owner for permission.

Moss?

Its a good site that.

TUDOR Gardening Lawn Aerator Grass Roller | eBay
One very similar to this.
A spring-loaded affair.
Does the job canny.

TUDOR Gardening Lawn Aerator Grass Roller | eBay
One very similar to this.
A spring-loaded affair.
Does the job canny.
Ah, I need hollow tines, rather than spike.
Tried those shoes, but they just came off all the time. Waste of time on my lawn.
yes our soil is mainly clay. I dug out some areas and replaced with bags of topsoil then reseeded but to do the whole lawn I’d need a digger, soil and turf. It would look nice but I don’t want a lawn to be my precious (quoting Gollum as reading LOTR).
After the big works last year, I also hired a proper rotavator and tried to turn that over. Horrible day that was, heavy, wet clay and a massive petrol driven heavy beast.
There was 8" of soil to come out after the builders had dumped it and levelled it. Took forever to turn it over and remove it - absolutely exhausting work for days to get it level.
And then, its shit sub-soil and clay to boot. Should have just got a f***ing digger, took a fence panel out, and just scraped 30cm of ground out, and then just scattered topsoil/sand in 50/50 and I reckon it would be class by now.

I'm the same, I want a proper perfect lawn. I'll be working on it all year.

Last edited:
Ah, I need hollow tines, rather than spike.
Tried those shoes, but they just came off all the time. Waste of time on my lawn.

After the big works last year, I also hired a proper rotavator and tried to turn that over. Horrible day that was, heavy, wet clay and a massive petrol driven heavy beast.
There was 8" of soil to come out after the builders had dumped it and levelled it. Took forever to turn it over and remove it - absolutely exhausting work for days to get it level.
And then, its shit sub-soil and clay to boot. Should have just got a f***ing digger, took a fence panel out, and just scraped 30cm of ground out, and then just scattered topsoil/sand in 50/50 and I reckon it would be class by now.

I'm the same, I want a proper perfect lawn. I'll be working on it all year.
I know the type of aerator you want. A lot on the market look very lightweight, and will rust in no time.
Maybe fleabay might have something.

Got my lawn replaced with synthetic grass 2 years ago. It's brilliant - no mowing, no mud, no weeds and the neighbour's cat hates it.

Spent a lot of time getting moss out and scarifying the lawn this time last year.
It's survived winter much better this year but still so.e in it. Give it a dose of the seaweed based mosskiller spray a week or so ago and it's blackened it off nicely and can see new shhots of grass growing through. With the warmer weather coming this week I'll let it have a while longer then give it a mow on highest setting and then scarify again.
It's reassuring to know I'm starting from a much better baseline this year and hopefully will have a lush lawn from early spring onwards.

Creeping Charlie is still there but much less so I'll give that an early spray this year to weaken it off from the start and see if the stronger grass can stand it out.

Back