Cutting the Grass

only had to mow the lawn twice since last august (in Oz) due to the drought, usually need to cut it every other week but everything's dead or dying, saying that it's pissing down now and will do for a few days so it will grow again fairly quickly.

Hopefully keep those rains a bit more regular for you lot over there. Get the woods and forests growing back asap
My neighbour is a greenkeeper and was mowing his lawns earlier. I'm going to knock and tell him he's wrong

Well nearly every website says hes wrong like. Maybe hes not fussed about his own lawn

Last edited:

Hopefully keep those rains a bit more regular for you lot over there. Get the woods and forests growing back

Very extensive rain forecast for the next week across eastern Oz so that should at least put most if the fires out and fill up some of the dams.
The bush regenerates really quickly too, but yeah more consistent rain is what’s needed

Same stuff 25% less for next time.

The outside of someone’s house is a true reflection of the inside of the house and more importantly their head.
Get stuck into it you’ll enjoy it once your ontop of it all.
I am on top of it mate, moved in removed everything that grew fast, 20-30 bushes, trees, the lot, now we’ve got front and back grass and 5 plants. Waste of time, we always go down the beach.

I have a hand roller one and if I take the moss out there is nowt left on the part that lives in the shade. I leave the moss as it keeps it looking green . Just sling some moss killer now
Did the same with mine for a few years and last year vast swathes were nothing but miss. Decided enough was enough and mos killed and set hatched the lot with an electric scarifier before levelling it all off before top dressing and reseeding. The lawn looked shit for most of the year but now looks lush with proper grass and very little moss this year. Definitely looking ready for a cut but snow coming Monday and Tuesday next week so will leave it to end of month
I've been thinking about buying this

I converted the old electric mover I had, bout a box of spring clips with tines that go over the blades. Works just like the thing in your link then. Massively more effective than a rake but addictive and I could have filled a skip with the amount of thatch it pulled out. The lawn was decimated but needed it. Reseeded all the bare patches and it’s much better for it. Having done it like that it shouldn’t need such drastic action again for years if I treat it right!

Last edited:
I use this stuff. It's an organic fertiliser with seed and it works really well.

It doesn't contain weedkiller.

The idea is that it strengthens the grass to better compete with moss and weeds.

I spike the lawns regularly and apply every 4 to 6 weeks during growing season.

The result is certainly not Chelsea Flower Show standards but presentably tidy.

Another vote for this stuff...

Logon or register to see this image
The front ive struggled with a weed that basically cannot be gotten rid of even by industrial stuff.
The one I really struggle with is creeping Charlie ( ground ivy), none of the usual weed killers kill it, some weeken it slightly but it’s still getting the better of me and won’t go.

Last edited:
Logon or register to see this image

The one I really struggle with is creeping Charlie ( ground ivy), none of the usual weed killers kill it, some weeken it slightly but it’s still getting the better of me and won’t go.

Yeah mate. Similar of not that one. It creeps.so it doesnt get cut by the mower. Ours and next doors are the same lawn. To get rid ill have to dig up and start again but no point if she still has the bastard next door.

Spent ages the year before picking it out by hand. No point as you'll never get it all

Last edited:
It’s good to see a pleasant, friendly and helpful thread on the SMB.

Gardeners tend to be a nice bunch.
I am on top of it mate, moved in removed everything that grew fast, 20-30 bushes, trees, the lot, now we’ve got front and back grass and 5 plants. Waste of time, we always go down the beach.
In our back garden we have artificial turf, football goals, swingball set, 7x5 shed, 2 bin stores, and one planter with a tall grass plant (Carex) in it.

A combination of a young football mad kid, and a young mad puppy rendered any decorative element to the garden worthless.

It’s a constant banging and crashing out there.

Last edited:

Back