Cutting the Grass

Don't.
Take the box off
Then take your mower over. Much easier
I run it without the box then use a lawn rake to scrape it into big piles. Filled about 4 skip bags last year just on one section of the back lawn.

Just about decided to dig up the bit out the one side of the front as it’s always been crap as the builders just hoyed the turf over all their pile of rubble and now the badgers are very regular visitors, it’s permanently chewed up. Thinking of going for a mini Japanese garden with cherry & acers in planters and a funky bit of gravelling.

I’ve been tidying the borders up but haven’t touched the lawn yet, did a lot of work on it last year and it’s looking canny to say we are coming out of winter.

ran over mine yesterday on the highest setting, picked up half the basket of which most was leaves. The ground is still pretty soft under foot. Hopefully these dry conditions should help it abit. It will need overseeding but I think it's too early for that. I picked up some weed and feed the other day, not sure whether to do that before or after seeding.

ran over mine yesterday on the highest setting, picked up half the basket of which most was leaves. The ground is still pretty soft under foot. Hopefully these dry conditions should help it abit. It will need overseeding but I think it's too early for that. I picked up some weed and feed the other day, not sure whether to do that before or after seeding.
Too early for all of that.

I covered half my lawn in Yellow Rattle seeds last autumn. Hopefully with them being parasitic on grass I might have the beginning of a wild meadow. Haway the biodiversity.
The shed roof I covered in sedums but some species are smothering others so I'll have to thin them out.

Last edited:
Was frosty this morning and will be again over next couple of mornings i think. Just keep holding on. Its hard when its mild during the day but hold on.

I covered half my lawn in Yellow Rattle seeds last autumn. Hopefully with them being parasitic on grass I might have the beginning of a wild meadow. Haway the biodiversity.
The shed roof I covered in sedums but some species are smothering others so I'll have to thin them out.
I've got wild flower borders out the front, but the grass has taken hold and I'm worried it'll choke the flowers.
Would some yellow rattle help?

Back