Cutting the Grass

Thanks I think I'll order one of them.

Lawn needs some TLC as it got a big neglected when I was poorly last year.

Going to make a start clearing all the children's stuff out the back garden and make that more adulty instead of a playground now that the bairn is growing up.

I just used that as an example of the type I use so I can't comment on it's suitability.

I've just looked and B&Q have some listed. I'd suggest an adjustable version for the reasons mentioned earlier.

I've been thinking about buying this

Yeahi was looking at them as well becs. Was looking at 2nd hand ones as well but not sure i can justify it. There are hand ones where you can drag behind you but again, im not sure how far down they will scrape
A good website for lawn lubbers.

My aim this year is to reduce the amount of moss on a north facing lawn.

I have that same one bookmarked as well

Last edited:
You dont cut the grass to get rid of weeds though as it doesnt get rid of any if anything
Depends on the type of weeds. By regularly cutting off the top leaves of some weeds, it will eventually weaken them. Those with deep tap roots like dandelions and strong weeds like daisies will keep coming back.

Depends on the type of weeds. By regularly cutting off the top leaves of some weeds, it will eventually weaken them. Those with deep tap roots like dandelions and strong weeds like daisies will keep coming back.

If you bag the cuttings it stops the spread but cutting the lawn will most likely spread weeds moving around cuttings

Probably slightly milder winter than normal thus far, and a little wetter. Very good chance of snow/ heavy frost through to mid / late March I think. Will do first cut mid March at tbd earliest .

B and q do a decent scarifier for about £90 which is quick and takes a lot up

Don’t put seed down or evergreen, we’re due a big frost at some point, would be pointless.
I do agree that it’s looking dark green though. Hasn’t half grown the last week with the milder weather.

Don’t put seed down or evergreen, we’re due a big frost at some point, would be pointless.
I do agree that it’s looking dark green though. Hasn’t half grown the last week with the milder weather.

Yeah. I reckon once the weekends wet has gone it will come within the month. Be surprised to get through this winter with hardly any frost

only had to mow the lawn twice since last august (in Oz) due to the drought, usually need to cut it every other week but everything's dead or dying, saying that it's pissing down now and will do for a few days so it will grow again fairly quickly.

I didn't do my last cut, or the 3 before that, at the end of summer. If I don't get on it fast I'm going to be in scumbag neighbour that deserves an asbo territory.

Back