Cutting the Grass

Wanting to get a manual scarifier as the rake doesnt get down deep enough for me. Back is like a football pitch and the robot keeps it down and fed as it gets cut every other day.
The front ive struggled with a weed that basically cannot be gotten rid of even by industrial stuff.

I dread the cold weather, I still believe there is a blast of winter storms ahead before the spring time. End of this month / beginning of March, about the time as that beast from the east a few years ago.

Personally am all for global warming if it can bring a tropical climate to the North East
Why does beer have such an influence over some people's lives. I'm struggling to think of a time where id be less likely to have one than cutting the grass.
I can see the positive spin to doing it on a summers day...radio on in the background, perhaps a quiet BBQ afterwards,ice cold bottle of beer.

Last edited:
Wanting to get a manual scarifier as the rake doesnt get down deep enough for me. Back is like a football pitch and the robot keeps it down and fed as it gets cut every other day.
The front ive struggled with a weed that basically cannot be gotten rid of even by industrial stuff.

I've been thinking about buying this

I have a hand roller one and if I take the moss out there is nowt left on the part that lives in the shade. I leave the moss as it keeps it looking green . Just sling some moss killer now

Haven't used fertilizer or weedkiller on the lawn in years, so I am getting a lot more wild flowers into the lawn. I don't bother getting rid of dandelions either now, as they are one of the first plants to flower in early spring so they are good for bees.

Like my late Dad, I've never used chemicals in my gardens. I don't have vegetables but we have a few fruit trees - apples, rasps, blackcurrants, gooseberries, blackberries and they taste exactly as they should.

I've left an area for wild flowers for the same reason. Bit of a pain to keep it reasonably tidy but worth it for the bees.

I just use a big rake and a bit of elbow grease. If you have a lot of area to cover then some mechanical assistance would obviously help.

As I said earlier, I think spiking is worth doing regularly.

When I started last year the soil under the grass so rock hard I had to wait until it rained to make any sort of impact.

Now the lawns feel like a carpet to walk on - which is amazing considering half the time I'm not fully convinced that I know what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Like my late Dad, I've never used chemicals in my gardens. I don't have vegetables but we have a few fruit trees - apples, rasps, blackcurrants, gooseberries, blackberries and they taste exactly as they should.

I've left an area for wild flowers for the same reason. Bit of a pain to keep it reasonably tidy but worth it for the bees.

I just use a big rake and a bit of elbow grease. If you have a lot of area to cover then some mechanical assistance would obviously help.

When I started last year the soil under the grass so rock hard I had to wait until it rained to make any sort of impact.

Now the lawns feel like a carpet to walk on - which is amazing considering half the time I'm not fully convinced that I know what I'm doing.

I've got the spikey shoes already and family who take the piss out of me for strolling about the lawn in them 😂

A new rake would be cheaper like. Mine snapped and I never replaced it. It was one I got out my Grandpa's shed when he moved so no idea how many years old it was. Probably older than me 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the spikey shoes already and family who take the piss out of me for strolling about the lawn in them 😂

A new rake would be cheaper like. Mine snapped and I never replaced it. It was one I got out my Grandpa's shed when he moved so no idea how many years old it was. Probably older than me 😁

Aye, I fell over a few times before I got the hang of them. You've got to make really exaggerated steps to walk safely so you can't help look like a complete twat.

I use a similar one to this. It's adjustable so you can alter the spread and thus stiffness of the tines. Much better than a conventional rake for doing your lawns.

Last edited:

Good man 👍

Aye, I fell over a few times before I got the hang of them. You've got to make really exaggerated steps to walk safely so you can't help look like a complete twat.

I use a similar one to this. It's adjustable so you can alter the spread and thus stiffness of the tines. Much better than a conventional rake for doing your lawns.

Thanks I think I'll order one of them.

Lawn needs some TLC as it got a big neglected when I was poorly last year.

Going to make a start clearing all the children's stuff out the back garden and make that more adulty instead of a playground now that the bairn is growing up.

Back