Covid end-game - does it even exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Give some examples.

They're not normal. They're just not the huge horrible changes some are stating IMO.

There will be millions that will become unemployed in the next few month due to various businesses not working as normal. Folks either cannot do the things they do or are scared too, it's far far from normal and about to get a whole lot worse.

There will be millions that will become unemployed in the next few month due to various businesses not working as normal. Folks either cannot do the things they do or are scared too, it's far far from normal and about to get a whole lot worse.

I wasn't asking about fall outs, that much is obvious. And it's grim. Family members have suffered as a result.

I was just asking about day to day things that people find so tough.

And there's been some good answers.

Last edited:
Personally I think the current normal is f***ing shit I hate it and hope life gets back to what it was before March as apart from sunderland being shit life was class....

That's just my opinion though too many things I took for granted i either cant do or has changed to the point of being a total arseache.

The beat part of all this was those weeks of glorious sunshine and getting pissed and eating bbq food every other night.

I was wondering earlier if you just social distance to the extreme or still use the staff room?

Staff room is out of bounds. It can be used for a route through the school as it leads onto the yard and used for the sinks/fridges etc but staff can't congregate. We are an all-through school meaning we've got primary and secondary on the same site. Primary bubbles can mix at break/lunch, secondary bubbles can mix, hands washed and santised before every lesson, masks around school apart from breaks and lunch times on the yard. Masks worn on transport regardless of age.

It's here to stay mate imo. Wearing masks n everything else will become normal way of life unfortunately.

Chinese folk have been doing it for years. They seem happy enough.
There's nothing stopping you going out on the lash without a mask as long as you can get in the bars.

Well there is. More bars now asking you to wear a mask any time you're not sat down.

Last edited:
I can't be bothered with it so haven't been out for a drink other than a couple after work, Sunday lunch or the local for something to eat.
Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

It's not a hassle if you pick the right pub and you're not in a group. Just be a loner plonking your arse down for a few quiet ones and it's jobs a good un.
I need to get out more, maybes not. :lol:

Honestly don't mind it. Some of the smells in the bogs....

Honestly feel for you. Got two close friends and a few close family who are teachers. None of them are happy. Canny horrific situation that I wouldn’t want to do myself.

We initially said masks didn't need to be worn around school as we're a small school and have primary aged kids. That changed this morning due to the escalating 'situation' so we (the staff) went out to greet the students this morning in masks and I had a primary pupil ask me if the virus is spreading now because even the teachers have masks. How do you respond to that?

Remove the masks, remove the testing and read this with an open mind using common sense.

Anyone out there who can tell me what our end game is with the covid 19? What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the all clear?

Is it zero cases?
The only way that will happen is if we just stop testing and stop reporting.

Is it a vaccine?
It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed. The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1796 the last known natural case was in 1977. We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective and less than half of the UK population choose to get one, and roughly 20,000 British will die of the flu or flu complications.

Mandate it?
We already have a growing number of anti vaxxers refusing proven, tested, well known vaccines that have been administered for decades but aren’t necessarily safe!

How long are we going to cancel and postpone and reconsider?? What if October's numbers are the same as August's? You moved football to summer? What if next March is worse than this one was? When do we decide quality of life outweighs the risks? I understand Covid can be deadly or very dangerous for SOME people, but so are peanuts, strawberries, and so is shellfish. We take risks multiple times a day without a second thought. We know the dangers of smoking, drinking and eating fried foods, we do it anyway.

Is hugging Gran really more dangerous than rush hour on the motorway?

When and how did we so quickly lose our free will? Is there a waiver somewhere I can sign that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with football Concerts and Parties." I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die, but I will most likely end up feeling like crap for a few days. I understand I could possibly pass it to someone else, if I'm not careful, but I can pass any virus onto someone else. I'm struggling to see where or how this ends. We either get busy living or we get busy dying.

I guess I would rather spend my time enjoying it and living in the moment and not worrying about what ifs and maybes, and I bet I'm not the only one.

(interesting post stolen from elsewhere)
It's a great post - I asked something along the same lines on another thread - At what point do the numbers dictate that they cease to become worth reporting on a daily basis and we return to normal?

Is it a certain number of days/weeks without a rise in cases or deaths? Is it no new cases or deaths for x number of days/weeks? What if the day after they say that masks are no longer necessary there is a large number of cases/deaths reported? Do we put the masks straight back on?

As a society we have painted ourselves into a corner - whatever the rate of new cases and/or deaths there will always be some who will argue we should keep the masks on - 'just in case' - whilst others will happily bin them at the first opportunity. I suspect, like parts of Asia, it will come down to personal preference and I also suspect (if this board is anything to go by) that it will lead to greater 'them and us' divisions in society.

A vaccine will go some way to help the situation, but it will not make it go away - not all the population will get it and for a small minority it will not help anyway. We vaccinate against flu every year and people still die from it.

We have to get to a point where the attrition rate is deemed to be within normal parameters and return society to normality - the sanity of the nation, the wellbeing of the majority and the ability to provide gainful employment for that majority must, at some point, become the driving force.

What that decision is based on, and who makes that decision is beyond me.

Whoever it is, I do not envy them.

Have we as a society become so risk averse that we have to suspend for what seems forever the very things we took for granted in order to reduce the spread of a virus that in the vast majority of cases does not pose a threat.
Everyday life has irrevocably changed.
I say that because at the next merest hint of some far away virus ,from for example Africa ,we will go through this same process. A precedent is now set.
I suggest we remove social distancing and masks. We open football stadia to all supporters and allow everyone to go on a pub crawl and stand at a bar five or six deep.
I suggest we leave it at the discretion of individuals to live their life the way they choose.
But of course none of this will happen. A vast number of the population have been slowly corralled into a series of measures which have effectively put their futures on hold.
And for what? To defeat a virus which can not be defeated. The virus will soon run its course social distancing or no social distancing. But the consequences of our futile attempts to control
the virus will damage the health and livelihoods of so many for a much longer time.

[/QUOTE]
Have we as a society become so risk averse that we have to suspend for what seems forever the very things we took for granted in order to reduce the spread of a virus that in the vast majority of cases does not pose a threat.
Everyday life has irrevocably changed.
I say that because at the next merest hint of some far away virus ,from for example Africa ,we will go through this same process. A precedent is now set.
I suggest we remove social distancing and masks. We open football stadia to all supporters and allow everyone to go on a pub crawl and stand at a bar five or six deep.
I suggest we leave it at the discretion of individuals to live their life the way they choose.
But of course none of this will happen. A vast number of the population have been slowly corralled into a series of measures which have effectively put their futures on hold.
And for what? To defeat a virus which can not be defeated. The virus will soon run its course social distancing or no social distancing. But the consequences of our futile attempts to control
the virus will damage the health and livelihoods of so many for a much longer time.

The worst aspect of this board recently has been the immediate abusive response of those who oppose this type of sentiment. If you dare suggest that there is a lack of proportionality you get called 'thick' or 'selfish' without any type of rebuttal connected to the debate. It's the go to response of those who aren't really affected by the virus but also have a fear based on their own circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back