Covid end-game - does it even exist?

Doberman

Striker
Remove the masks, remove the testing and read this with an open mind using common sense.

Anyone out there who can tell me what our end game is with the covid 19? What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the all clear?

Is it zero cases?
The only way that will happen is if we just stop testing and stop reporting.

Is it a vaccine?
It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed. The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1796 the last known natural case was in 1977. We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective and less than half of the UK population choose to get one, and roughly 20,000 British will die of the flu or flu complications.

Mandate it?
We already have a growing number of anti vaxxers refusing proven, tested, well known vaccines that have been administered for decades but aren’t necessarily safe!

How long are we going to cancel and postpone and reconsider?? What if October's numbers are the same as August's? You moved football to summer? What if next March is worse than this one was? When do we decide quality of life outweighs the risks? I understand Covid can be deadly or very dangerous for SOME people, but so are peanuts, strawberries, and so is shellfish. We take risks multiple times a day without a second thought. We know the dangers of smoking, drinking and eating fried foods, we do it anyway.

Is hugging Gran really more dangerous than rush hour on the motorway?

When and how did we so quickly lose our free will? Is there a waiver somewhere I can sign that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with football Concerts and Parties." I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die, but I will most likely end up feeling like crap for a few days. I understand I could possibly pass it to someone else, if I'm not careful, but I can pass any virus onto someone else. I'm struggling to see where or how this ends. We either get busy living or we get busy dying.

I guess I would rather spend my time enjoying it and living in the moment and not worrying about what ifs and maybes, and I bet I'm not the only one.

(interesting post stolen from elsewhere)

Best case scenario seems to me that there is a vaccine that cures it. More likely imo is a vaccine like the flu jab where it's a guess based on the recent strain.

Personally I'm all for protect those who are in risk categories if they want it, and return to some sort of normality for everybody else. It's unhealthy in other ways to go on the way we have been imo.

People keep banging on about getting back to normal. But what's so not normal now?

From a personal point of view I now wear a mask in a shop. Wow. I can go in pubs now, and only difference is I'm not stood amongst ten deep crowds at the bar. Damn. Instead of wfh three times a week I'm wfh for 5. Not ideal but not the end of the world either.

Only thing I miss is live gigs tbh.

Edit. Can see how it'd be a bit of a mare if you work at a school. But then staff are basically saying social distancing is impossible anyway so doesn't sound like it's actually happening.

I'm not really missing much so quite happy to go with the current situation.
However it cannot carry on as it is, something has to give, lifting restrictions then slapping them back in is not an answer, they don't have a clue on what numbers are a huge cause for real concern.

They have figures they believe are but they're not warranting the caution at the moment and haven't for sometime.

This has gone way beyond protecting the NHS, it's a bunch of experts playing on the side of extreme caution and we're starting to see quite a number getting totally pissed off with what I would say is bordering on incompetence.

Stay Safe.
Hands, face, space.
Shake your head.

All true but it can take 25 years to develop a vaccine going off previous time scales...

It won't take 25 years for a vaccine for this. Science has come a long way since those days plus there will be other ways to mitigate and manage the disease enough for people to go about their business fairly close to what it was.

People keep banging on about getting back to normal. But what's so not normal now?

From a personal point of view I now wear a mask in a shop. Wow. I can go in pubs now, and only difference is I'm not stood amongst ten deep crowds at the bar. Damn. Instead of wfh three times a week I'm wfh for 5. Not ideal but not the end of the world either.

Edit. Can see how it'd be a bit of a mare if you work at a school. But then staff are basically saying social distancing is impossible anyway so doesn't sound like it's actually happening.

You've based your analysis of how the current restrictions have impacted on society by reflecting on your own experience. Sounds rational.

Sporting events, social interaction in all for getting back to normal ASAP.

Does seem an opportunity wasted though in terms of how miserable & oppressed everyone was before the pandemic , all the 1% stuff, climate change, the rat race and addiction to spending money - that we’re pushing to try and go back to that normal and not try and make some more substantive changes.

Sound like I’m in 6th form! Anyway I’ve left my job to pursue my passions so it makes sense to me

You've based your analysis of how the current restrictions have impacted on society by reflecting on your own experience. Sounds rational.

No. I gave my experience then invited others to share theirs. You've jumped in but luckily, having easily explained your error, there's been no harm done.

Does seem an opportunity wasted though in terms of how miserable & oppressed everyone was before the pandemic , all the 1% stuff, climate change, the rat race and addiction to spending money - that we’re pushing to try and go back to that normal and not try and make some more substantive changes.

Sound like I’m in 6th form! Anyway I’ve left my job to pursue my passions so it makes sense to me

Yep, everyone either scrambling to get back on board with the shit show. You've gotta laugh. Perhaps it's all a trick, so when we do get back to 'normal' we are all grateful for a shite life/world....

Last edited:
No. I gave my experience then invited others to share theirs. You've jumped in but luckily, having easily explained your error, there's been no harm done.

It doesn't take a massive amount of imagination to put yourself in the shoes of the countless numbers of people for whom we are a very long way from 'normal'. I'm not really sure how adding your own experience adds any weight to your initial statement that things are currently normal.

It doesn't take a massive amount of imagination to put yourself in the shoes of the countless numbers of people for whom we are a very long way from 'normal'. I'm not really sure how adding your own experience adds any weight to your initial statement that things are currently normal.

Give some examples.

They're not normal. They're just not the huge horrible changes some are stating IMO.

Give some examples.

Kids. I mean literally, just in general. Trust me. Particularly in schools.
People needing hospital appointments.
Any mass gatherings.
Weddings.
Mums needing somewhere to take their children to play.
Pretty much the whole hospitality sector having to scrape by to survive.
Youth unemployment.
Impact of lockdown on mental health.
Funerals.
Visiting elderly relatives.
Fear.

But none of that applies to you so it doesn't matter. 👍

I've had 4 holidays cancelled, checking the stats last few weeks for Italy, due to go on Monday and that should be ok without quarantine on return. If we could start going to matches, lose the masks and get rid of mandatory table service I'd be quite happy. Work is the only thing that's barely changed, apart from the fewer numbers there's not much thought given to distancing.

Incidentally I went to the Libertines and Maximo Park socially distant gigs at Gosforth, weird vibe like but a different experience. I'd go again.

One basic example of what's not so normal from my experience today. I'm in a whatsapp group chat with 6 mates (so 7 of us in total), we've all got a free weekend this weekend, we're all touching 30 year old, we went to school together, this weekend it's currently illegal for us all to be in the same place so who misses out? We've grown up with each other so I'd say it's slightly abnormal to be going into this weekend knowing we would now be breaking the law should we all fancy a pint together.

A colleague's mother in law passed away this week. Her and her hubby have now spent the last 2 days writing up a list of people who can attend the crem and will now have to phone folk to say they can attend but they're wife/husband can't attend. The wake has been cancelled. Normal?

I think you've forgotten what normal is/was in the last few months.

One basic example of what's not so normal from my experience today. I'm in a whatsapp group chat with 6 mates (so 7 of us in total), we've all got a free weekend this weekend, we're all touching 30 year old, we went to school together, this weekend it's currently illegal for us all to be in the same place so who misses out? We've grown up with each other so I'd say it's slightly abnormal to be going into this weekend knowing we would now be breaking the law should we all fancy a pint together.

A colleague's mother in law passed away this week. Her and her hubby have now spent the last 2 days writing up a list of people who can attend the crem and will now have to phone folk to say they can attend but they're wife/husband can't attend. The wake has been cancelled. Normal?

I think you've forgotten what normal is/was in the last few months.

Two tables, shouldn't be a problem, did you lick the windows on the school bus?

Kids. I mean literally, just in general. Trust me. Particularly in schools.
People needing hospital appointments.
Any mass gatherings.
Weddings.
Mums needing somewhere to take their children to play.
Pretty much the whole hospitality sector having to scrape by to survive.
Youth unemployment.
Impact of lockdown on mental health.
Funerals.
Visiting elderly relatives.
Fear.

Yep, weddings, funeral etc are a nightmare, but they aren't daily events. And yes, I get the work situation. From what I've seen most are visiting family members now anyway.

I should have mentioned hospital appointments like, three reviews I've not been able to have now.

Depends, I had little problem with any of those things pre-lockdown. If anything the economy being fucked is only going to worsen the prospects for the 99%.

Back