Covid end-game - does it even exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One basic example of what's not so normal from my experience today. I'm in a whatsapp group chat with 6 mates (so 7 of us in total), we've all got a free weekend this weekend, we're all touching 30 year old, we went to school together, this weekend it's currently illegal for us all to be in the same place so who misses out? We've grown up with each other so I'd say it's slightly abnormal to be going into this weekend knowing we would now be breaking the law should we all fancy a pint together.

A colleague's mother in law passed away this week. Her and her hubby have now spent the last 2 days writing up a list of people who can attend the crem and will now have to phone folk to say they can attend but they're wife/husband can't attend. The wake has been cancelled. Normal?

I think you've forgotten what normal is/was in the last few months.

Fair play. First un I'd say is a fuck on, but I reckon you'll probably find a way....

Funerals/weddings I completely conceded but was more looking at every day life rather than one off events so to speak.
I think a lot of people who aren't affected don't really care.

They sound like Tory supporters. Scum.

Yep, weddings, funeral etc are a nightmare, but they aren't daily events. And yes, I get the work situation. From what I've seen most are visiting family members now anyway.

I should have mentioned hospital appointments like, three reviews I've not been able to have now.

f***ing hell. Someone who can meet in the middle without twisting or resorting to insults. 👍

I'd expect nothing less from someone who has the great Tony Blair for their avatar.

Give some examples.

They're not normal. They're just not the huge horrible changes some are stating IMO.

I know someone who is allowed to visit her mum for half an hour a day at a care home. Her mum is brought out into the 'hub' which is basically a greenhouse that is divided in half by perspex glass. They sit either side of the glass and talk to each other using a phone like you would if you were visiting a prisoner. When half an hour passes, staff enter, ask my friend to leave and they clean the hub for half an hour for the next 'appointment'.

My friend's mum has three types of dementia despite being seemingly healthy in February. She was driving, going to the gym, going to the pub etc in February. They discovered issues in April time and have had to deal with this bollocks ever since.

That's not normal.
Two tables, shouldn't be a problem, did you lick the windows on the school bus?

We tried that over bank holiday. We were placed at opposite ends of the pub (deliberately) and told we couldn't gather at any point or we'd be asked to leave. Mates of 15 years pretending we didn't know each other. We had prebooked in advance.

We ended up back at a mate's house because it wasn't worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Remove the masks, remove the testing and read this with an open mind using common sense.

Anyone out there who can tell me what our end game is with the covid 19? What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the all clear?

Is it zero cases?
The only way that will happen is if we just stop testing and stop reporting.

Is it a vaccine?
It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed. The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1796 the last known natural case was in 1977. We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective and less than half of the UK population choose to get one, and roughly 20,000 British will die of the flu or flu complications.

Mandate it?
We already have a growing number of anti vaxxers refusing proven, tested, well known vaccines that have been administered for decades but aren’t necessarily safe!

How long are we going to cancel and postpone and reconsider?? What if October's numbers are the same as August's? You moved football to summer? What if next March is worse than this one was? When do we decide quality of life outweighs the risks? I understand Covid can be deadly or very dangerous for SOME people, but so are peanuts, strawberries, and so is shellfish. We take risks multiple times a day without a second thought. We know the dangers of smoking, drinking and eating fried foods, we do it anyway.

Is hugging Gran really more dangerous than rush hour on the motorway?

When and how did we so quickly lose our free will? Is there a waiver somewhere I can sign that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with football Concerts and Parties." I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die, but I will most likely end up feeling like crap for a few days. I understand I could possibly pass it to someone else, if I'm not careful, but I can pass any virus onto someone else. I'm struggling to see where or how this ends. We either get busy living or we get busy dying.

I guess I would rather spend my time enjoying it and living in the moment and not worrying about what ifs and maybes, and I bet I'm not the only one.

(interesting post stolen from elsewhere)
It's here to stay mate imo. Wearing masks n everything else will become normal way of life unfortunately.

Is it a vaccine?
It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed. The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1796 the last known natural case was in 1977. We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective and less than half of the UK population choose to get one, and roughly 20,000 British will die of the flu or flu complications.
We're better at vaccines now, plus there was already a lot of work done on vaccines for previous SARS outbreaks. Plus, the entire world REALLY needs it this time, so everyone is focussed on it.

We'll have a vaccine in the next 6 months. After that, it'll be open season.

I know someone who is allowed to visit her mum for half an hour a day at a care home. Her mum is brought out into the 'hub' which is basically a greenhouse that is divided in half by perspex glass. They sit either side of the glass and talk to each other using a phone like you would if you were visiting a prisoner. When half an hour passes, staff enter, ask my friend to leave and they clean the hub for half an hour for the next 'appointment'.

My friend's mum has three types of dementia despite being seemingly healthy in February. She was driving, going to the gym, going to the pub etc in February. They discovered issues in April time and have had to deal with this bollocks ever since.

That's not normal.

We tried that over bank holiday. We were placed at opposite ends of the pub (deliberately) and told we couldn't gather at any point or we'd be asked to leave. Mates of 15 years pretending we didn't know each other. We had prebooked in advance.

We ended up back at a mate's house because it wasn't worth the hassle.

You can't go to the house now, I didn't think the pub would do that, can they stop strangers talking to each other on separate tables?

Remove the masks, remove the testing and read this with an open mind using common sense.

Anyone out there who can tell me what our end game is with the covid 19? What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the all clear?

Is it zero cases?
The only way that will happen is if we just stop testing and stop reporting.

Is it a vaccine?

Mandate it?
We already have a growing number of anti vaxxers refusing proven, tested, well known vaccines that have been administered for decades but aren’t necessarily safe!

How long are we going to cancel and postpone and reconsider?? What if October's numbers are the same as August's? You moved football to summer? What if next March is worse than this one was? When do we decide quality of life outweighs the risks? I understand Covid can be deadly or very dangerous for SOME people, but so are peanuts, strawberries, and so is shellfish. We take risks multiple times a day without a second thought. We know the dangers of smoking, drinking and eating fried foods, we do it anyway.

Is hugging Gran really more dangerous than rush hour on the motorway?

When and how did we so quickly lose our free will? Is there a waiver somewhere I can sign that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with football Concerts and Parties." I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die, but I will most likely end up feeling like crap for a few days. I understand I could possibly pass it to someone else, if I'm not careful, but I can pass any virus onto someone else. I'm struggling to see where or how this ends. We either get busy living or we get busy dying.

I guess I would rather spend my time enjoying it and living in the moment and not worrying about what ifs and maybes, and I bet I'm not the only one.

(interesting post stolen from elsewhere)
Cracking. Imagine reading this then going “right! I’m off out for an all-day no mask, rule of seven, act like it’s 2019 day”.....then come back home with the virus, fuck your lungs up, spread it to the rest of the family who all get sick and die. Cracking.

Cracking. Imagine reading this then going “right! I’m off out for an all-day no mask, rule of seven, act like it’s 2019 day”.....then come back home with the virus, fuck your lungs up, spread it to the rest of the family who all get sick and die. Cracking.

There's nothing stopping you going out on the lash without a mask as long as you can get in the bars.

You can't go to the house now, I didn't think the pub would do that, can they stop strangers talking to each other on separate tables?

This place could. We tried going in rounds but when one of the lads approached the other table to get the pints in (30 seconds, stood at the end of the table) the staff told us/reminded us we cannot mix.

We said we had booked 1 table of 6 and 1 table of 4 during the same call so it was obvious we all knew each other and it was shite that they'd picked tables at opposite end of the pub especially when another table of 6 was empty behind one of our tables.

They moved us closer together when we complained but then made a point of monitoring us so we didn't approach or talk to the other table.

This place could. We tried going in rounds but when one of the lads approached the other table to get the pints in (30 seconds, stood at the end of the table) the staff told us/reminded us we cannot mix.

We said we had booked 1 table of 6 and 1 table of 4 during the same call so it was obvious we all knew each other and it was shite that they'd picked tables at opposite end of the pub especially when another table of 6 was empty behind one of our tables.

They moved us closer together when we complained but then made a point of monitoring us so we didn't approach or talk to the other table.

I can't be bothered with it so haven't been out for a drink other than a couple after work, Sunday lunch or the local for something to eat.
Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

I work in a school where we are basically lambs to the slaughter. You're lecturing the wrong person on coming home with the virus.

We've got a tonne of regulations in place but it's russian roulette on which staff member catches the virus first.

I can't be bothered with it so haven't been out for a drink other than a couple after work, Sunday lunch or the local for something to eat.
Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

it's not worth the hassle tbh. We've considered meeting at my mate's house. Only 7 of us. My mate has just moved into his new place though, doesn't really know the neighbours, and doesn't want to risk any local snitches getting their kicks out of reporting us.

That's the World we live in.

I work in a school where we are basically lambs to the slaughter. You're lecturing the wrong person on coming home with the virus.

We've got a tonne of regulations in place but it's russian roulette on which staff member catches the virus first.

I was wondering earlier if you just social distance to the extreme or still use the staff room?

So is my sister, she is a teacher up here, hasn't been tested once. Worked all the way through all of this.

Last edited:

Honestly feel for you. Got two close friends and a few close family who are teachers. None of them are happy. Canny horrific situation that I wouldn’t want to do myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back