County Watch

Looking like a cracking race for the championship between Somerset and Essex.
I thought Somerset where looking a good bet s fee weeks ago but Essex look very strong all-round team as well.
I think they play each other near the end of the season. It could be a cracker.

Wins for Somerset and Essex.

While Hampfrica are denied by a fantastic rearguard by Warwickshire - seeing our 107 overs for a draw. More impressive was that they were 6 down after only 36.4 overs and then 8 down after 79.3.

Nottinghamshire 35 points from safety, despite poaching everyone else’s players. Perhaps buying in a load of Division Two talent ISN’T the key to success.

On that note, is Coughlin injured?

Last edited:
Looking like a cracking race for the championship between Somerset and Essex.
I thought Somerset where looking a good bet s fee weeks ago but Essex look very strong all-round team as well.
I think they play each other near the end of the season. It could be a cracker.
Somerset v Essex for the title. Ah, makes me feel young again. If there was a Ron Manager equivalent for cricket, I'd be doing impressions.

Another defeat for Surrey and another miserable performance from Borthwick and Stoneman.

What’s going wrong down there @TheRey marra? Is it a simple problem of complacency or much deeper and complicated an issue?

Must be thankful that only one gets relegated this year mind.

Another defeat for Surrey and another miserable performance from Borthwick and Stoneman.

What’s going wrong down there @TheRey marra? Is it a simple problem of complacency or much deeper and complicated an issue?

Must be thankful that only one gets relegated this year mind.
Definitely don't think it's complacency, mate. The players fight and scrap but come up short (even today we gave ourselves the tiniest sniff) - if the players were complacent that'd not happen IMO.
It doesn't help that we've lost a large chunk of our squad -
Jade Dernbach hasn't played a game all season through injury, Virdi fractured his back and is only just back in the seconds, Pope injured his shoulder and is out until September, TC, JRoy and Plunkett away with England (as Foakes has been a few times), Burns has missed games with a bad back, Badger (more on him later) started the season injured, Rikki Clarke missed about a month with a broken finger, the ECB are giving us Draconian rules on Sam Curran's workload... And I could go on!

Burnsy hasn't looked anywhere near the Test-level batsmen we've seen for the last five years, Rocky is absolutely shot, and Badger... My views on him are well known on here, but this is the worst he's been for us. Worth noting as well that the ECB fucked us about in this game (Batty was ill, K*nt agreed to us replacing him with Virdi, but the ECB veoted it - despite OKing it when Essex did the same last year) by leaving us with no spinner; Elgar and Rocky bowled, but Borthwick didn't. He's a complete walking wicket at the moment.

However, none of what I said can excuse our form - two wins all season (Essex in the RLODC and Warwickshire in the CC) is a pitiful showing, regardless of any circumstances.

Definitely glad only one is going down this year - although we have to play Notts twice, so we need to ensure we come out of those two unscathed before I can breath easy.

Definitely don't think it's complacency, mate. The players fight and scrap but come up short (even today we gave ourselves the tiniest sniff) - if the players were complacent that'd not happen IMO.
It doesn't help that we've lost a large chunk of our squad -
Jade Dernbach hasn't played a game all season through injury, Virdi fractured his back and is only just back in the seconds, Pope injured his shoulder and is out until September, TC, JRoy and Plunkett away with England (as Foakes has been a few times), Burns has missed games with a bad back, Badger (more on him later) started the season injured, Rikki Clarke missed about a month with a broken finger, the ECB are giving us Draconian rules on Sam Curran's workload... And I could go on!

Burnsy hasn't looked anywhere near the Test-level batsmen we've seen for the last five years, Rocky is absolutely shot, and Badger... My views on him are well known on here, but this is the worst he's been for us. Worth noting as well that the ECB fucked us about in this game (Batty was ill, K*nt agreed to us replacing him with Virdi, but the ECB veoted it - despite OKing it when Essex did the same last year) by leaving us with no spinner; Elgar and Rocky bowled, but Borthwick didn't. He's a complete walking wicket at the moment.

However, none of what I said can excuse our form - two wins all season (Essex in the RLODC and Warwickshire in the CC) is a pitiful showing, regardless of any circumstances.

Definitely glad only one is going down this year - although we have to play Notts twice, so we need to ensure we come out of those two unscathed before I can breath easy.

No County could cope with all that in fairness, but all that considered - your side in that last game, on paper, is STILL good enough to be challenging Somerset and Essex at the right end of the table IMO.

No County could cope with all that in fairness, but all that considered - your side in that last game, on paper, is STILL good enough to be challenging Somerset and Essex at the right end of the table IMO.
Oh totally. We've played four games against the newly promoted sides and won once - that's not good enough.

I can't say I'm too fussed, though. After last year those boys have more than enough credit in the bank IMO

Back