County Cricket 2023

Short video on bbc website about our first opponents Sussex previewing their season. Farbrace his usual positive self and looks like Robinson is keen to play early season so could well be in the mix against us.

Needs to happen, he was treated appallingly last year
I admit he's a player that hasn't stood out as a talent me, unlike Stan the Mac. But that may be my fault and his stats over the winter playing in grade cricket didn't seem bad so I'm looking forward to see if I can see what you do.

Players to watch this season
Potts: he was great to watch last season, so here's hoping for two seasons in a row. No doubt in my mind he's a great talent.
McAlinden: hopefully he gets a chance but I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches held him back a little
Trevaskis: I have always liked the look of him.
Macintosh: Liked the look of him last season as wickie, batting needs to improve though, hopefully a season to progress and maybe get one or two outings although I think it will mainly depend on injury to others. But we'll see.
Bushnell: Is whed right or wrong?
Ollie Gibson: I was a bit underwhelmed with him tbh, but he's young and there's lots of time for him to show what he's got.

I admit he's a player that hasn't stood out as a talent me, unlike Stan the Mac. But that may be my fault and his stats over the winter playing in grade cricket didn't seem bad so I'm looking forward to see if I can see what you do.

Players to watch this season
Potts: he was great to watch last season, so here's hoping for two seasons in a row. No doubt in my mind he's a great talent.
McAlinden: hopefully he gets a chance but I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches held him back a little
Trevaskis: I have always liked the look of him.
Macintosh: Liked the look of him last season as wickie, batting needs to improve though, hopefully a season to progress and maybe get one or two outings although I think it will mainly depend on injury to others. But we'll see.
Bushnell: Is whed right or wrong?
Ollie Gibson: I was a bit underwhelmed with him tbh, but he's young and there's lots of time for him to show what he's got.
Trevaskis bowling record is abysmal

Most of the previews I’ve read/listened to seem to think Glamorgan will be the team to beat this season - however they were in Zimbabwe when we were and played the same opposition and didn’t fare anywhere near as well as we did* - but I wasn’t at all impressed by them the twice we played them. They performed much better against the other sides of course and they are a very strong side on paper and a team I consider to definitely be a contender.

The bookies unsurprisingly have Yorkshire as favourites, but nobody knows how they’ll fare, most sides will see them as the prize scalp and I expect they’ll get the best effort of every team they play. As always they’ll have to cope with several players being away with England, they may benefit early season from having Bairstow around as he tries to prove his fitness for the Ashes, but a number of sides who have dropped down have found it isn’t as easy in D2 as they expected/hoped and so 6/4 (to win the Division) is ridiculously short. Personally, I wouldn’t take anything less than 2/1 merely for promotion.

Sussex are the bookies second favourite, but they’ll need to do a better job of taking 20 wickets than they did last year. A combination of a young/inexperienced bowling attack and flat pitches didn’t help them but I think it’s fanciful to have them at just 9/2 considering that attack is only a year older - even with the early season boost of having Robinson available.

The odds in full are:

Yorkshire 6/4
Sussex 9/2
Glamorgan 5/1
Gloucestershire 8/1
Durham 9/1
Worcestershire 9/1
Derbyshire 12/1
Leicestershire 20/1

Derbyshire are a good price, a few people have had good words to say about their prospects - they’ve got one of the best coaches in county cricket in Micky Arthur.

Will Paul Nixon’s Leicestershire avoid the wooden spoon?

*I appreciate they’ve got players to add to the side that travelled over there mind you, as have we…

***Apologies for the unashamed re-posting of what I posted in the Durham v Sussex match thread, but I thought it was more suited to this thread ;).

Most of the previews I’ve read/listened to seem to think Glamorgan will be the team to beat this season - however they were in Zimbabwe when we were and played the same opposition and didn’t fare anywhere near as well as we did* - but I wasn’t at all impressed by them the twice we played them. They performed much better against the other sides of course and they are a very strong side on paper and a team I consider to definitely be a contender.

The bookies unsurprisingly have Yorkshire as favourites, but nobody knows how they’ll fare, most sides will see them as the prize scalp and I expect they’ll get the best effort of every team they play. As always they’ll have to cope with several players being away with England, they may benefit early season from having Bairstow around as he tries to prove his fitness for the Ashes, but a number of sides who have dropped down have found it isn’t as easy in D2 as they expected/hoped and so 6/4 (to win the Division) is ridiculously short. Personally, I wouldn’t take anything less than 2/1 merely for promotion.

Sussex are the bookies second favourite, but they’ll need to do a better job of taking 20 wickets than they did last year. A combination of a young/inexperienced bowling attack and flat pitches didn’t help them but I think it’s fanciful to have them at just 9/2 considering that attack is only a year older - even with the early season boost of having Robinson available.

The odds in full are:

Yorkshire 6/4
Sussex 9/2
Glamorgan 5/1
Gloucestershire 8/1
Durham 9/1
Worcestershire 9/1
Derbyshire 12/1
Leicestershire 20/1

Derbyshire are a good price, a few people have had good words to say about their prospects - they’ve got one of the best coaches in county cricket in Micky Arthur.

*I appreciate they’ve got players to add to the side that travelled over there mind you, as have we…

***Apologies for the unashamed re-posting of what I posted in the Durham v Sussex match thread, but I thought it was more suited to this thread ;).

There's a few strong batting lineups this season especially with overseas signings but I'm struggling to pick a team that I would back to take 20 wickets regularly - you could say that on paper Durham has the best pace attack in Div 2.

If the pitches are anything like last season I fear draws will be the common theme

There's a few strong batting lineups this season especially with overseas signings but I'm struggling to pick a team that I would back to take 20 wickets regularly - you could say that on paper Durham has the best pace attack in Div 2.

If the pitches are anything like last season I fear draws will be the common theme

It’s a great point about the bowling, I did pick up personally on the potential strength of our attack even despite losing Rushworth.

Big thing will be, however, if a number of the players who’ve shown promise can actually produce somewhere near to what we’ve been expecting for some time. I’m talking about Carse & Coughlin predominately here. Health/availability will be arguably the biggest factor for our entire bowling corps.

I don't think it was so much the pitches as the balls which were going soft after only a few overs. Ball manufacturer confident that that has been overcome.

The odds in full are:

Yorkshire 6/4
Sussex 9/2
Glamorgan 5/1
Gloucestershire 8/1
Durham 9/1
Worcestershire 9/1
Derbyshire 12/1
Leicestershire 20/1

They may have been wooden spoon stirrers far too often but imo Leicestershires survival is crucial to the sustainability of the County Championship. Their loss would be the thin end of the wedge. Good read this. How 'little' Leicestershire are proving their worth

Back