County Cricket 2023

They may have been wooden spoon stirrers far too often but imo Leicestershires survival is crucial to the sustainability of the County Championship. Their loss would be the thin end of the wedge. Good read this. How 'little' Leicestershire are proving their worth

I don’t want to see any county go to the wall.
_
Mind I have to disagree on the ‘good read’ part.

It’s a pretty shite fluff piece all told.

It basically amounts to the argument that Leicestershire should be allowed to survive because they produced one England player recently and another one ages ago.

Doesn’t every county do that. If not much more?

Now I reiterate that I absolutely agree that Leicestershire should be able to survive. I agree too that it’s paramount to the entire county structure that they do so, for all sorts of reasons, but that’s shocking journalism.

They’ve finished bottom of the County Championship seven times in 11 years (the article states), that’s a hideous record that absolutely should be called out and the fact that they’re allowing Paul Nixon to essentially pump his own tyres up despite the fact he’s played a large part in that failure is frankly quite embarrassing. It’s almost like they’re championing failure. It simply wouldn’t be accepted at any other county.

If any of that sounds harsh, tough, this is professional sport.

Last edited:
_

It basically amounts to the argument that Leicestershire should be allowed to survive because they produced one England player recently and another one ages ago.

Now I reiterate that I absolutely agree that Leicestershire should be able to survive. I agree too that it’s paramount to the entire county structure that they do so, for all sorts of reasons, but that’s shocking journalism.

They’ve finished bottom of the County Championship seven times in 11 years (the article states), that’s a hideous record that absolutely should be called out and the fact that they’re allowing Paul Nixon to essentially pump his own tyres up despite the fact he’s played a large part in that failure is frankly quite embarrassing. It’s almost like they’re championing failure. It simply wouldn’t be accepted at any other county.

He's better than Franklin remember

_

However it has been expressed, I’m glad that the BBC has drawn attention to the issue. I’m sure Leicester are too.

_

To be fair to Leicestershire anyone that comes through their system with a decent amount of ability is then signed by a 'bigger' county (mainly Notts)

I was talking to some Leics lads last season at the Riverside and they described the club as Notts 2nds.
The problem Leicestershre have is the same as Derbyshire and Northants is that there is to many counties in the east midlands and Notts are the dominant county.
Colin de grandhome looks like he has lost a yard of pace and he was military meduim at his peak.

Last edited:
Looking ominous for Northants already down at Kent. Losing Gay to injury before the start of the season was a massive blow.

Be interesting to see how Crawley gets on in the lead up to the Ashes.

Back