Coronavirus compendium thread

Did you try buying hand sanitiser? They were pretty much out of stock late last week. I’m not sure that’s people with vouchers buying standard essentials.

Think theres a load of bugs going round at the minute which will be affecting that. The bairn has been ill twice in two weeks now from school and passed it on both times to his brother and me. I've just got over the latest one today so our lass has been out and bought about 10 😂

It might sound daft but, should we go into lockdown, one of my major priorities is cat food (admittedly prescription cat food) and also cat meds. My own medical requirements are immediately below this and then I've got a range of stuff in the freezer.
We work every year on the Waitrose 20% off vouchers. They tend to come out in January when everyone's skint, but this year they did February too. We will spend £500-worth (actual cost £400) on non-perishables and they last us all year.

Is this virus related though? We got 20% off vouchers at Waitrose (if you go to a shop - online it's 10%) valid until 3 March. So went and did a massive shop of basics and a lot of them were very low in stock, presumably due to people doing the same thing.
Maybe. I just thought it was a bit weird. I’d not heard of the vouchers mind, I thought it was a bit coincidental.

@Arkle for the cat they had big bags of certain Iams flavours half price, then a further 20% off with the vouchers 👍

Is it true that kids aren't getting it?

my group - asthmatics - is 6% IIRC

No deaths in age range 0-9 with 0.2% death rate in 10-19. No idea how many 0-9s have been infected.

So far the older you get, the more at risk you are.

Again, as most figures are primarily China and yesterday they only reported 8 new cases, these figures are very likely to be far from reality.

I could argue with the source of your percentage but I won't. What I will say is that leaves you a 99.6% chance of surviving it, which figure includes those with underlying health conditions and the very elderly. Now, would you back a horse that had a just shy of 97% chance of winning? I would, but you can carry on with your chicken little screeching if you wish. I will see you here in a few months when there is an imminent chance of nuclear war/worst winter ever/new pandemic.

I have decided to edit this post with: Nobody can ease your mind if you are determined to be scared. I will stop calling folk fannies for being scared if they stop calling me thick for not being scared.

I'm not scared for myself .
But I am realistic- having two elderly parents in my family who are not in perfect health concentrates the mind...

- I'm simply pointing out the inanity of some of your comments.

( And by the by - don't start calling people fannies when they point out published facts - as that does make you look very stupid indeed )

You said :- "it's a mild flu that kills the already weakened."

In fact we now know that according to the professionals- its only mild in some people - not in all - and in many cases the fever is considerable and has the ability to kill healthy adult doctors by affecting lung function
- more than 7 fit and able doctors and nurses had reportedly died in China by 18 Feb - so its probably higher than that bt now.

The fatality rate is still an unknown as many who caught the virus are still classed as sick.
Even if all the sick recovered it would still be over 2 % (which is 20x worse than 'regular' flu.)

What you seem to be missing is The following :-

how 'lethal ' a disease is, is not simply a function of the fatality rate ( ie how many infected actually die). It's also a function of how many actually catch it - how easy it is transmissible from human to human.
Sars for example had a fatality rate of 10% but it was difficult to catch . ..

Covid 19 is insidious- because it appears to transmit readily - but it hides it's symptoms for up to 20 days while the person is busy passing it on.

A bit of balanced info here ..

Last edited:
The first case of someone catching it who did not travel has emerged in Surrey, which means community transmission has begun in the UK

The first case of someone catching it who did not travel has emerged in Surrey, which means community transmission has begun in the UK
This is bound to happen.
Even if they manage to stop an epidemic (which is doubtful imo )- I would expect to see hundreds of such cases over the next few weeks

Reading parts of that does make you wonder just how infectious it is. Lad goes on holiday with 50 other people and is the only one to contract it.

Lass travels on plane back to ireland goes through an airport then gets bus home and is only one to contract it. Of course in the 2nd case the people who have come into contact with it won't be displaying symptoms yet but surely the people sitting next to her on the plane will have been tested if they know who they are.

Is there anything yet to say how long tbe virus can survive outside the body? There certainly seems to be a bit of a plateau in terms of an increase in contractions which suggests it doesn't have a particularty long shelf life and will mostly affect high density areas such as china, or large cities etc.

That being said, fuck knows what is/has actually happened in china in terms of numbers anyway so its difficult to even compare infection rates etc.

I read earlier today that you can have the virus and be contagious for 24 days, whilst always showing symptoms

We’re in the clarts now. Bloke caught it in UK. Source of infection unclear. It’s here. It’s spreading
No need to panic. ...

It's bound to spread to some degree - but there's nothing yet to say that everyone will become infected.

Remember we have flu outbreaks every winter but most don't get it.

I haven't had flu for 25 years.

I woke up ill yesterday, proper ruff as fook,
dry mouth, headache, chesty cough..
ILL
went to doctors, got diagnosed
Strongbow Virus

Yes, typo, without showing symptoms (thanks)

Think only one instance has shown this and WHO haven't accepted it and are still advising up to 14 days with most cases being sooner.

Points to note from here: Coronavirus Update (Live): 84,187 Cases and 2,876 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Recoveries are now outweighing new reported cases.

Serious or critical cases are showing a downwards trend.

Recovery trends are increasing whilst death trends are decreasing.

Number of current active infections is decreasing.

* as of 27th Feb

Edit: These figures may well be skewed as China, who have over 30k active infections, are only reporting 8 new cases yesterday whilst in comparison Italy, with 822 active cases, are reporting 234 new cases yesterday.

Last edited:
Think only one instance has shown this and WHO haven't accepted it and are still advising up to 14 days with most cases being sooner.

Points to note from here: Coronavirus Update (Live): 84,187 Cases and 2,876 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Recoveries are now outweighing new reported cases.

Serious or critical cases are showing a downwards trend.

Recovery trends are increasing whilst death trends are decreasing.

Number of current active infections is decreasing.

* as of 27th Feb
shut up man , we want chaos

Wife's come home bad today, says it's like vertigo what shes had before, she went straight to bed ab out 5 and slept for 4 hours then got up and was sick no supper and back to bed, says shes so tired.

She works in a school so you never know if parents have been anywhere that's got it.

Never seen her this poorly

Back