Coronavirus compendium thread

not too long ago...

That's interesting, not because I think the Iranians would try this but it reminded me of a video I watched a couple of years back. A whistle blower type was recalling how something needed to be pinned on Iran and his superiors had an in joke about China catching a cold.

Fondly remembering when I turned up at a new job one day and in one of my draws was a solitary old style floppy disc. I asked what it was about and it turned out nobody knew exactly why , it had been there years, 'but it had a virus or something so it's kept out of the way' :)

Last edited:

Reading parts of that does make you wonder just how infectious it is. Lad goes on holiday with 50 other people and is the only one to contract it.

Lass travels on plane back to ireland goes through an airport then gets bus home and is only one to contract it. Of course in the 2nd case the people who have come into contact with it won't be displaying symptoms yet but surely the people sitting next to her on the plane will have been tested if they know who they are.

Is there anything yet to say how long tbe virus can survive outside the body? There certainly seems to be a bit of a plateau in terms of an increase in contractions which suggests it doesn't have a particularty long shelf life and will mostly affect high density areas such as china, or large cities etc.

That being said, fuck knows what is/has actually happened in china in terms of numbers anyway so its difficult to even compare infection rates etc.

Last edited:
Reading parts of that does make you wonder just how infectious it is. Lad goes on holiday with 50 other people and is the only one to contract it.

Lass travels on plane back to ireland goes through an airport then gets bus home and is only one to contract it. Of course in the 2nd case the people who have come into contact with it won't be displaying symptoms yet but surely the people sitting next to her on the plane will have been tested if they know who they are.

Is there anything yet to say how long tbe virus can survive outside the body? There certainly seems to be a bit of a plateau in terms of an increase in contractions which suggests it doesn't have a particularty long shelf life and will mostly affect high desity areas such as china, or large cities etc.

That being said, fuck knows what is/has actually happened in china in terms of numbers anyway so its difficult to even compare infection rates etc.

Good post, I don't think anyone has a clue.

Is it true that kids aren't getting it?
was just thinking about mortality rates for this outbreak.
1-2 % for Mr/mrs average.
But quite a bit higher if you have an ailment of some sort that makes you at more risk.
I've seen 20 % mentioned for weaker already ill, and a bit lower for the aged but healthy.
May not be remembering the % correctly, but when i read the BBC website info, i calculated that my likely group are about 3 to 5 %.
Fit and healthy, but what could be considered elderly. Must say, i've had seasonal flu only once and it hit me fairly hard. Was bedridden for 2 days and thought i was dying. But was only about 40 then.
my group - asthmatics - is 6% IIRC

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had the following email:

Dear hellsbells,
We want to let you know that we’re experiencing exceptionally high demand at the moment. More people than usual seem to be placing particularly large orders. As a result, delivery slots are selling out quicker than expected.
We suggest following these useful tips to avoid any disappointment:

Place your order a little further in advance than you might normally. Ideally, try two or three days before.

If you can be flexible, book yourself a weekday delivery (Monday–Thursday) instead of a weekend one. We’re unusually busy Friday to Saturday at the moment.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Ocado Customer Service team

Hmmmmm.
Is this virus related though? We got 20% off vouchers at Waitrose (if you go to a shop - online it's 10%) valid until 3 March. So went and did a massive shop of basics and a lot of them were very low in stock, presumably due to people doing the same thing.

Good post, I don't think anyone has a clue.

I think thats half of the problem tbh.

There's about 12 million people live in Wuhan and just under 80k cases found (reported). Now this may well be under reported, as they do seem to have initially been trying to cover it up and there could of course been hundreds/thousands recovered without reporting it at all either through fear or as their symptoms just weren't bad enough.

If there is an incubation period before symptoms of 14 day plus then I would expect there to be an initial high infection rate but once quarantines/protocols are put in place then that rate should slow down, particlarly in that area.

The problem of course is it transfering, mainly during the initial incubation period before it ever identified, to other countries. Whilst it has done that, it doesnt seem to have happened at a particularly alarming rate even when its been in unknowing hosts for days/weeks who will have been in direct contact with close family/friends etc then further contact with the public could be in the hundreds in that same period of time.

That's of course presuming the host is infectious during the incubation stage.

I think when something is so unknown there is always increased worry so everywhere is currently on high alert but there has been other strains of corona virus so i would expect authorities to have a degree of knowledge on it already.

It seems to be a cross betweem SARs and swine flu and somewhere in the middle.
Also, found a decent website with info bjut not sure how often it is updated.

Last edited:
Is this virus related though? We got 20% off vouchers at Waitrose (if you go to a shop - online it's 10%) valid until 3 March. So went and did a massive shop of basics and a lot of them were very low in stock, presumably due to people doing the same thing.

Did you try buying hand sanitiser? They were pretty much out of stock late last week. I’m not sure that’s people with vouchers buying standard essentials.

Did you try buying hand sanitiser? They were pretty much out of stock late last week. I’m not sure that’s people with vouchers buying standard essentials.
No. Things like flour, pasta, rice, dishwasher tablets, bin liners, catfood - not all types/brands but noticeably low on stock.

No. Things like flour, pasta, rice, dishwasher tablets, bin liners, catfood - not all types/brands but noticeably low on stock.

We didn’t have any vouchers but we got more than usual. When your workplaces are putting in place plans to enable everyone to work from home it seems a bit silly to ignore the fact that it might happen.

I’ve got good supplies of loo roll, tinned pease pudding and bovril. Think that’s me sorted.

It might sound daft but, should we go into lockdown, one of my major priorities is cat food (admittedly prescription cat food) and also cat meds. My own medical requirements are immediately below this and then I've got a range of stuff in the freezer.

Back