Coffee machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Americano is shite. A good filter is loads better. I quite like black coffee from an Aero Press too.

Don't mind milk in my coffee, but not much. Flat white is a decent ratio.
Nowt like framing an opinion as fact, eh?

Flat white is all milk and a strong shot of espresso. About the same ratio as a latte, but frothed differently and the espresso is extracted differently so it’s stronger.

Just get a decent espresso machine with a frothing wand (ooo er), better than bean to cup and pods.

Nespreaso machines ARE decent. So much so that the founder of Costa coffee admitted that was what he drank at home! As for price, you need to factor in the £500-£800 you’d pay for a good bean to cup. Once you do that then it is not really the cheapest espresso. I agree that a good bean to cup is the ultimate way to get a great coffee at home, but a nespresso machine (especially from the factory shop at dalton park - £30 for mine) is a very affordable introduction to quality espresso.
I disagree about decent coffee from nespresso, I've tried several different pods when at the in-laws and none of them come anywhere near the flavour of freshly roasted beans.

As for cost, I bought my machine 4 years ago for £220 and it hasn't missed a beat in all that time. That cost over the years, coupled with the top quality coffee from fresh beans versus a cheaper outlay for mediocre coffee from pods makes it a no brainer for me.

I disagree about decent coffee from nespresso, I've tried several different pods when at the in-laws and none of them come anywhere near the flavour of freshly roasted beans.

As for cost, I bought my machine 4 years ago for £220 and it hasn't missed a beat in all that time. That cost over the years, coupled with the top quality coffee from fresh beans versus a cheaper outlay for mediocre coffee from pods makes it a no brainer for me.
I’ve never had a problem with the pods, and prefer them to most of the brand espressos like Costa and Starbucks. I suppose it’s all personal choice, but I do know a bit about the industry, having been a manager for Costa for 10 years. I’m very happy with the pods, the flavour and the convenience is, IMO, great.

You pays ya money, you takes ya choice!

I’ve never had a problem with the pods, and prefer them to most of the brand espressos like Costa and Starbucks. I suppose it’s all personal choice, but I do know a bit about the industry, having been a manager for Costa for 10 years. I’m very happy with the pods, the flavour and the convenience is, IMO, great.

You pays ya money, you takes ya choice!
Do you not find a bit restrictive though? Love trying different coffees and much more choice using a conventional machine.

This, every time. I was shot down on here for saying decent, fresh beans were better than the pods. I'm yet to have a pod coffee that comes anywhere close to freshly roasted, good quality beans.

I use fresh beans whenever I can. I find it far cheaper, fresher and far tastier. I like to have morning, mid-day and evening beans in their relevant cup sizes (is that tricky with pods?) with occasional oddball coffee beans as well.

I did a six year contract with Nestle, based in Vevay but working all around the world. It put me off powdered coffee for life.

I also have a Nestle pod machine but I find it a pain in the arse to clean and maintain. The pods are also very costly.

Americano is shite. A good filter is loads better. I quite like black coffee from an Aero Press too.

Don't mind milk in my coffee, but not much. Flat white is a decent ratio.

Lots of coffee shops seem to think Americano is a no-milk disgusto coffee. If that is the only choice in the shop then I ask for hot milk to cover the acrid taste of their coffee.

It always amuses me when I order Cappuchino and they ask me if I would like chocolate with it. Why the hell do they think it is called Cappuchino?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use fresh beans whenever I can. I find it far cheaper, fresher and far tastier. I like to have morning, mid-day and evening beans in their relevant cup sizes (is that tricky with pods?) with occasional oddball coffee beans as well.

I did a six year contract with Nestle, based in Vevay but working all around the world. It put me off powdered coffee for life.

I also have a Nestle pod machine but I find it a pain in the arse to clean and maintain. The pods are also very costly.

Is the fork still in Lac Leman?

On the Nespresso there’s an offer where you pay a fixed amount each month (depending on model chosen). You get the machine free and the amount you spend can be used to purchase anything from the site from pods, cups, chocolates, biscuits etc. All free delivery etc. Nothing stopping you using the supermarkets pods as well to find your favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back