Coffee machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use fresh beans whenever I can. I find it far cheaper, fresher and far tastier. I like to have morning, mid-day and evening beans in their relevant cup sizes (is that tricky with pods?) with occasional oddball coffee beans as well.

I did a six year contract with Nestle, based in Vevay but working all around the world. It put me off powdered coffee for life.

I also have a Nestle pod machine but I find it a pain in the arse to clean and maintain. The pods are also very costly.

Lots of coffee shops seem to think Americano is a no-milk disgusto coffee. If that is the only choice in the shop then I ask for hot milk to cover the acrid taste of their coffee.

It always amuses me when I order Cappuchino and they ask me if I would like chocolate with it. Why the hell do they think it is called Cappuchino?
I hate chocolate on my coffee.

I hate chocolate on my coffee.
As is your right.

So order a latte and not a Cappuchino, unless you are in a cafe of the ignorant when an almost Cappuchino will suffice for you.

As is your right.

So order a latte and not a Cappuchino, unless you are in a cafe of the ignorant when an almost Cappuchino will suffice for you.
:oops::oops:

A 'true' cappuccino should never have chocolate or cinnamon. A relevantly recent variation that should be punishable by law.

If you order a cappuccino after 11am, you should be shot in the knackers, or what ever you have down there.

Nowt like framing an opinion as fact, eh?

Flat white is all milk and a strong shot of espresso. About the same ratio as a latte, but frothed differently and the espresso is extracted differently so it’s stronger.

A flat white has a higher proportion of coffee to milk than a latte.

It always amuses me when I order Cappuchino and they ask me if I would like chocolate with it. Why the hell do they think it is called Cappuchino?
It’s name has nothing to do with chocolate. Chocolate (or cinnamon) are optional extras. It’s still a cappuccino if it doesn’t have chocolate on it. The name relates to monks or something.

From Wiki: The name comes from the Capuchin friars, referring to the colour of their habits,[3] and in this context referring to the colour of the beverage when milk is added in small portion to dark, brewed coffee (today mostly espresso).

Reactions: PTR
As is your right.

I always ask for a Cappuccino without chocolate too. A Cappuccino tends to have more coffee in than a latte.

Why do you think it's called a Cappuccino?

Last edited:
We’ve had this discussion several times in the past. Nespresso are the best of the pod machines. I got my parents one a while ago and it does make a good coffee.

The best way to get a good coffee at decent value, however, is beans. I have a separate grinder and espresso machine, total cost around £100, though I think it’d cost me a bit more now if I had to replace both. Much cheaper than bean to cup and if one dies I only need only replace that part. I’m sure some of the ridiculously expensive bean to cup machines make a great coffee, but the difference, to me, is almost certainly not worth the cost.

Just slurping a preludio intense from my dolce gusto.

My espresso machine is in the garage now as I find the pods a whole lot more convenient.

:oops::oops:

A 'true' cappuccino should never have chocolate or cinnamon. A relevantly recent variation that should be punishable by law.

If you order a cappuccino after 11am, you should be shot in the knackers, or what ever you have down there.
A ‘true’ cappuccino is named for the Cappucin monks and is said to be the view that God has when looking down at them, the brown spot of hair, the white and then the brown ring of coffee is their robes. So the chocolate ‘spot’ is necessary.

It might do if you make it. If you get it in a coffee shop it doesn’t, trust me,

Maybe costa coffees interpretation of a flat white doesnt. Go into a proper coffee shop and it does.

A flat white is a shorter drink with the same amount of coffee in as a latte, but because it's shorter it has less milk. Simple maths tells you it has a higher ratio of coffee to milk.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white

Read the first paragraph.

We've had a Nespresso for a couple of year and had a dolce gusto (I think) before that. She buys all sorts of pods for it. They look a bit fancy in the cup but I've never tasted one better than a filter coffee yet.

It might do if you make it. If you get it in a coffee shop it doesn’t, trust me,

It does though, as a flat white has milk, milk foam and espresso..... a Late has espresso and milk.

So as milk is obviously denser than milk foam, it must mean late has more milk??

Monsoon Malabar beans are my absolute favourite currently - nothing can beat them.

A consistently amazing espresso every time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back