Coffee machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does though, as a flat white has milk, milk foam and espresso..... a Late has espresso and milk.

So as milk is obviously denser than milk foam, it must mean late has more milk??
Yeah, I’ll admit to being wrong and phrasing what I was thinking in a bad way. I’m imagining those diagrams which show coffee, then milk, then froth. Flat whites shouldn’t have a discernible ‘layer’ of froth, it’s blended into the steamed milk. Also, I was reacting to dixon saying he didn’t like too much milk in his coffee, when a flat white is ostensibly a milk-based coffee.

Maybe costa coffees interpretation of a flat white doesnt. Go into a proper coffee shop and it does.

A flat white is a shorter drink with the same amount of coffee in as a latte, but because it's shorter it has less milk. Simple maths tells you it has a higher ratio of coffee to milk.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white

Read the first paragraph.
I apologise for my phrasing.

Yeah, I’ll admit to being wrong and phrasing what I was thinking in a bad way. I’m imagining those diagrams which show coffee, then milk, then froth. Flat whites shouldn’t have a discernible ‘layer’ of froth, it’s blended into the steamed milk. Also, I was reacting to dixon saying he didn’t like too much milk in his coffee, when a flat white is ostensibly a milk-based coffee.

I apologise for my phrasing.

Yeah fair point.

To clarify - flatten the flat white, lose the late, caput the cappuccino.

Espresso only - maybe with some water. :lol:

From his posts on this thread, he seems to think it’s a latte with chocolate on the top!
Is he thinking of a caffè mocha?? :confused:

To the OP, I've had pod coffee of all varieties over the years, other than bean-to-cup nothing is better than the smoothness and freshness of freshly ground beans through a filter machine. Don't waste your money.

We've had a Nespresso for a couple of year and had a dolce gusto (I think) before that. She buys all sorts of pods for it. They look a bit fancy in the cup but I've never tasted one better than a filter coffee yet.

I suppose it depends on what sort of coffee you like. If you drink Americanos, then drip has the potential to be decent. You can't really make a decent Latte etc with drip coffee.

Is he thinking of a caffè mocha?? :confused:

To the OP, I've had pod coffee of all varieties over the years, other than bean-to-cup nothing is better than the smoothness and freshness of freshly ground beans through a filter machine. Don't waste your money.

The yanks love their filter like, thing is mate, you simply can't make certain (milk based) drinks with filter coffee.

I suppose it depends on what sort of coffee you like. If you drink Americanos, then drip has the potential to be decent. You can't really make a decent Latte etc with drip coffee.

The yanks love their filter like, thing is mate, you simply can't make certain (milk based) drinks with filter coffee.

The message loud and clear here is, keep milk away from coffee ;)

The message loud and clear here is, keep milk away from coffee ;)

The message I would take is keep water (other than the minimum needed to make an espresso) away from coffee. ;)

Down to personal taste. I like really strong coffees but milk added to make it long rather than water, so my drip machine is never used. Ideal coffee for me is about 5 shots of espresso topped up with milk, don't care if it's frothy.

The message I would take is keep water (other than the minimum needed to make an espresso) away from coffee. ;)

Down to personal taste. I like really strong coffees but milk added to make it long rather than water, so my drip machine is never used. Ideal coffee for me is about 5 shots of espresso topped up with milk, don't care if it's frothy.

Yeah even with Americano I never fill it like they do in shops, if I fancy a bigger drink than espresso I'll just put a bit more water in - never fill it, whats the point?!

I used to cain them every morning, as I got free extra shots with starbucks card and there was a starbucks right opposite office...so would always have a 5 shot small americano. Done the job! :lol:

Someone bought me a tassimo machine. I’ve only used it a few times but it’s canny to a non fussy irregular coffee drinker

Which pods do you use. My parents love the XL ones, but they love instant coffee too. To me they're awful, taste like they've been burned. They swear by them. I can't get away with any except the espresso, if I get lumbered with an XL, I'll take the cup away as soon as it serves the espresso shot.

In hindsight I would have bought a nespresso, but I got it for £45 with about 180 pods, so if I binned it it was still a decent deal.

The preludio pods for dolce gusto are 300ml off the top of my head so do a nice full mug of strong black coffee if you like that.

Lungo are about 180ml if I remember correctly so good for a small quick cup.

Occasianaly I might have a mocha. Mainly in the winter as an afternoon warmer after I've had the dog out but mainly I drink black, eiher espresso, americanno, preludio or lungo

Which pods do you use. My parents love the XL ones, but they love instant coffee too. To me they're awful, taste like they've been burned. They swear by them. I can't get away with any except the espresso, if I get lumbered with an XL, I'll take the cup away as soon as it serves the espresso shot.

In hindsight I would have bought a nespresso, but I got it for £45 with about 180 pods, so if I binned it it was still a decent deal.
My friend has the nespresso and loves it. I just but the pods when they are on sale every other month, I like the costa ones and the kids like the hot choc

Surprised no-one has mentioned the dire environmental impact of pods - totally undegradeable.

I've had this for over two years and it makes delicious coffee - espresso, americana, frothy milky, whatever - and is reliable. Less than £200.

Logon or register to see this image

Black Friday is the Mecca for cheap coffee pod machines. Give it a month.
That's a really good point, I might replace my old BTC machine this year.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the dire environmental impact of pods - totally undegradeable.

I've had this for over two years and it makes delicious coffee - espresso, americana, frothy milky, whatever - and is reliable. Less than £200.

Logon or register to see this image
Yeh, pods are terrible - coffee is decent, but its so wasteful.

That machine - apart from looking good, how is it better than the £70 one they do, that tbh, made a better coffee than the £500 BTC one I have now.

Last edited:
That machine - apart from looking good, how is it better than the £70 one they do, that tbh, made a better coffee than the £500 BTC one I have now.

No idea. Probably a slightly better build quality but who knows. It was a present so presumably her indoors felt she had to splash a bit more cash... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back