Club Shop and Merchandising.

I looked to buy a key ring the other day. They wanted £5 for it. Stings a bit, but fair enough.

They also wanted £5 to post it to me. 😳

Utter pisstake.

I didn’t even like the design, in just needed a new key ring and wanted to be reppin’

At a guess, from the numbers involved, they're putting some or all their sponsorship deals through that heading. For £25m, they'd need to be selling the equivalent of 12.5 million shirts, whicn is plainly nonsensical. It's futile to try and draw detailed conclusions from the very limited analysis in the published accounts, where there is very wide scope over what gets put where.

A mobile shop would have an one-off set up cost of vehicle (up to an artic, depending on how big it's to be) and fitting out, but then there's a problem with secure storage, which I suppose could be done at the AoL at a pinch, although ideally you'd want it garaged somewhere.
Have we not still got the Roker Rover ?

The online store in parts looks like it was pulled together in a GCSE assignment exercise. Some of the images of the tat we sell look like the photo was taken in Davisons garage. It's just amateurish and we're not maximising how well we could do out of a well designed online store. Plus having outlets around the North East.

State of this shite man, and £55.

Last edited:
Fan Letters: "Sunderland’s merchandising is nowhere near good enough!"

just finishing reading the bloke's rant, just wondered what everyone else thought, i reckon he's got a good point.

Dear Roker Report,

Now that we’re in the close season, I thought I’d have a rant!
Why decide on a sponsor and strip so early with a possible promotion looming . That was concluded against us ,what, 2 weeks ago ?
I don't get it ,surely good practice would be no stock left at this very time ? Not that we knew all those months ago when you project demand that we would have an amzing finish .Let's be patient and we can buy the new stuff when it's available

Why decide on a sponsor and strip so early with a possible promotion looming . That was concluded against us ,what, 2 weeks ago ?
I don't get it ,surely good practice would be no stock left at this very time ? Not that we knew all those months ago when you project demand that we would have an amzing finish .Let's be patient and we can buy the new stuff when it's available
Last October we were telling fans no more kits would be available until Xmas, and even on the launch we had limited supply in certain sizes.
It's just piss poor from a club of our size and fanbase.

Last October we were telling fans no more kits would be available until Xmas, and even on the launch we had limited supply in certain sizes.
Fair enough and you could look at that but I've no issue with an empty shop this time of year. I hate missed opportunities
It's the bars for me ,with a bit of brains and shuffling they could make double the money at half time

The issue is the god awful kit deal with Total Sport. Sadly we have it for another season, so expect similar issues to what we’ve seen in the past.

Originally the new kit was supposed to be out in late April. Now that was likely delayed incase we got promoted and we could get a better sponsor. Here we are in early June though, and still no sign.

They have to buy the stock outright on a no returns basis. They need to estimate how many they will sell and buy accordingly. We've overestimated in the past and had a lot of stock to sell off at a loss at the end of the season but I think now they've gone too over cautious and are not ordering enough stock to keep up with demand.

The smaller items were discontinued as they bought a massive order of baby bottles and they were hanging around for years. Baby bottles are a pretty niche item though. Maybe something you'd buy as a daft gift for a mates bairn and they're short lived as babys grow out of them fairly quickly. Stuff like bouncy balls, pens, notebooks etc., span 15+ years of childhood and are things that get used up or lost easily, so likely to be replaced several times. I used to buy stocking filler gifts from the club shop every year for my lot.

clubs a joke, the shop, website, merch and commercial operations are dogshit mate, wonder we can compete at all in the modern game ffs. methven was an absolute cockend but he knew his shop, website, merch and commercial operations onions the prick

They have to buy the stock outright on a no returns basis. They need to estimate how many they will sell and buy accordingly. We've overestimated in the past and had a lot of stock to sell off at a loss at the end of the season but I think now they've gone too over cautious and are not ordering enough stock to keep up with demand.

The smaller items were discontinued as they bought a massive order of baby bottles and they were hanging around for years. Baby bottles are a pretty niche item though. Maybe something you'd buy as a daft gift for a mates bairn and they're short lived as babys grow out of them fairly quickly. Stuff like bouncy balls, pens, notebooks etc., span 15+ years of childhood and are things that get used up or lost easily, so likely to be replaced several times. I used to buy stocking filler gifts from the club shop every year for my lot.
In a time when the club is on the up, the merchandising and ticketing side of the club is lagging way behind.
We've had a few Wembley trips recently where fans couldn't purchase replica shirts. Last Christmas the club shop was carrying next to no stock and even then in limited sizes.
Club needs to employ someone who knows how to run a merchandising operation and get ourselves a proper direct contract with a kit supplier.
FWIW .. shop was open today when I ventured around the SOL... not a soul in sight!
With a bit of foresight and advertising they'd have had the new kit out this week for half term, and then have a guaranteed footfall into the club shop.

Last edited:
It’s still a mess and needs sorting. The fan groups just need to keep on with Davison but sadly don’t think he listens. For all the good work and progress on the pitch and with scouting, the academy, we’re still well below par on this side of things.

Because Quinn brought it all in house, it will take years to get a supplier number from the majors again for the reasons already outined.
KLD’s father saved Adidas from oblivion so I’m sure the family have good contacts…it wouldn’t take years if we had a professional at the club with the ability to oversee such matters…many lower league clubs have far superior marketing than SAFC. As I’ve said the on pitch improvements are laudable but off it we are absolutely shambolic and it’s simply unacceptable.

Back