Clamping down on the morning after drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limit is there for a reason, at any time. To be honest, it should be lower.

Drink drivers need to take a long hard look at themselves. That said, I think I've probably been over the limit the next morning and felt fine to drive; are there any statistics about the number of accidents caused by that?

Probably should be an education campaign before they start threatening people's livelihoods though, as this just looks like a way to get the drink driving statistics up so that they can run a campaign about drink driving.

Ireland's just introduced a statutory 3 month ban for anyone caught over the limit as well as a €200 on the spot fine

New drivers and professional drivers have a way lower limit as well (9mcg alcohol per 100ml breath) as opposed to yer normal driver (22 mcg/100ml breath)

But the day shift won't catch the people who are doing it intentionally, just the ones who had a few too many at the Christmas party and are heading to work the next day.

If you are over the limit, then you shouldn't be driving. It's irrelevant whether it's the night before or the morning after.

I don't get how it's less of an issue for someone who's over the limit the next day and heading into work?

If you are over the limit, then you shouldn't be driving. It's irrelevant whether it's the night before or the morning after.

I don't get how it's less of an issue for someone who's over the limit the next day and heading into work?

It's arguably more of an issue going off the bravado on here.
Add in more hazards, kids on their way to school as well as others going about their business etc.

I'd obviously rather see the police have everyone blowing under, but if there are people collared, I hope they get hammered. Pardon the expression.

Was it not intentional for them to have those drinks then intentionally get in a car and intentionally drive?

No excuses.
No, fair enough.

There should probably be an advertising campaign before a crackdown though, without any data I would suspect that there are far fewer accidents caused by this than people driving around late at night, so it may be just a way to get their statistics up.

But the day shift won't catch the people who are doing it intentionally, just the ones who had a few too many at the Christmas party and are heading to work the next day.
I don't see a difference. You know when you've had a skinful and if you can't make a judgement that you're posing a threat to yourself and everyone else you encounter on your drive then you shouldn't even have a license, let alone be allowed to drive that day. You drank heavily the night before, there is still alcohol in your system which is impairing your ability to drive safely. It really is as simple as that.

It's arguably more of an issue going off the bravado on here.
Add in more hazards, kids on their way to school as well as others going about their business etc.

I'd obviously rather see the police have everyone blowing under, but if there are people collared, I hope they get hammered. Pardon the expression.
I don't know if it's more of an issue. I would need to see statistics about how many accidents are caused by people with alcohol on their breath on the morning. I definitely think that people need to be told about the issue rather than being pulled over then told though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back