Civil service jobs platform

Wonder if the hmrc pay offer, released Monday gone, would have swayed it for you. 2 days WFH minimum, uplift of all minimum bands. Decent for the majority.

Hmrc pay offer

I'm at HMRC at the minute like and quite pleased about it, seems reasonably fairy given the increase in annual leave too.

If I'm completely honest though, £22.5k (which will kick in next year) is above what we should we paid for the work we do.

In the end, I declined the HMRC offer because the hours and pay were considerably worse and the travel would have been impossible had WFH ended.

I accepted the offer at HM Land Registry and I start on 1st March! And the pay is several thousand more than I thought it was, so that's a bonus!

HMLR is a decent place to work in fairness so I don't think you'll regret your decision!

Feel free to PM if you have any questions about the place.

What are the comments mate?

The pay offer is exceptional IMHO.

Lots on the various PCS pages and from people I used to work with. Most mainly coming from those who have been there a long time or were on better terms that what the new deal is offering. Our old office the Flexi was the best bit, 37 hours each way and if you came in for the 7 you could be out the door by one otherwise you just had to be there between 10 and half 2, no evening work unless you wanted to stay late and no weekends. Looking at the changes to that the flexi period has gone from 3 days off in 4 weeks to 7 days in 13.

People I used to work with are just peeved they'll have to work on a saturday and can't all just p*ss off at 3 like they usually do. Most who started with me will be getting their extra 10 days at the end of next month anyway. The WFH stuff is canny though, but in practice I bet some managers/seniors start playing silly buggers with it. I remember when the lockdown first started a certain high up in CSG was trying to keep everyone in the office and then was giving Excom stupid staffing numbers they needed to keep it all running.

If I were still there at AO I'd bite their hand off for 13% over 3 years, especially since I was still pretty much at the bottom of the banding after 9 years.
I bet my Mother in law isn't pleased though if WFH is used as a way to avoid redundancy, she's been trying every excuse in the book to get out of moving to their regional site and take the money.

Wonder if the hmrc pay offer, released Monday gone, would have swayed it for you. 2 days WFH minimum, uplift of all minimum bands. Decent for the majority.

Hmrc pay offer

Trade off is flexi and potentially working lates and weekends. Basically a battle between traditional and newer. Be interesting how it goes. Plenty, including my mate, has turned down promotions to keep old working conditions.

When I was there there was one area that had it much worse than everywhere else. They'll be chuffed as for them it's no change but a decent pay rise.

Last edited:
People complaining about the HMRC one don’t know how good that deal is compared to the DWP for example, now have to do one Saturday a month in DWP and one 8pm finish a week, once this Coronavirus stuff is over they will want most staff back in the JobCentres and Service Centres so no guarantees of a minimum 2 days a week working from home either. Flexi still sounds far better at HMRC also. I would snap your hand off for that HMRC deal.

People complaining about the HMRC one don’t know how good that deal is compared to the DWP for example, now have to do one Saturday a month in DWP and one 8pm finish a week, once this Coronavirus stuff is over they will want most staff back in the JobCentres and Service Centres so no guarantees of a minimum 2 days a week working from home either. Flexi still sounds far better at HMRC also. I would snap your hand off for that HMRC deal.

But many there are on better deals than is being offered. They have full flexi. No weekend working and can wfh regardless.

Last edited:
Lots on the various PCS pages and from people I used to work with. Most mainly coming from those who have been there a long time or were on better terms that what the new deal is offering. Our old office the Flexi was the best bit, 37 hours each way and if you came in for the 7 you could be out the door by one otherwise you just had to be there between 10 and half 2, no evening work unless you wanted to stay late and no weekends. Looking at the changes to that the flexi period has gone from 3 days off in 4 weeks to 7 days in 13.

People I used to work with are just peeved they'll have to work on a saturday and can't all just p*ss off at 3 like they usually do. Most who started with me will be getting their extra 10 days at the end of next month anyway. The WFH stuff is canny though, but in practice I bet some managers/seniors start playing silly buggers with it. I remember when the lockdown first started a certain high up in CSG was trying to keep everyone in the office and then was giving Excom stupid staffing numbers they needed to keep it all running.

If I were still there at AO I'd bite their hand off for 13% over 3 years, especially since I was still pretty much at the bottom of the banding after 9 years.
I bet my Mother in law isn't pleased though if WFH is used as a way to avoid redundancy, she's been trying every excuse in the book to get out of moving to their regional site and take the money.

I don’t think it will impact redundancy at all. If anything more flexibility will mean people who would have taken it are more likely to stay on if they only need to go to a regional centre once a week or so. Although it’s a bit bad timing on those who have already left and haven’t had the option. Know of a few people in Hull who left back end of last year as they were unwilling to commute to Leeds every day.

I’ll lose 1.5 days leave from that new offer, but will actually be able to benefit from flexi for the first time ever. Happy with that trade off.

I don’t think it will impact redundancy at all. If anything more flexibility will mean people who would have taken it are more likely to stay on if they only need to go to a regional centre once a week or so. Although it’s a bit bad timing on those who have already left and haven’t had the option. Know of a few people in Hull who left back end of last year as they were unwilling to commute to Leeds every day.

I’ll lose 1.5 days leave from that new offer, but will actually be able to benefit from flexi for the first time ever. Happy with that trade off.

If you're HMRC and not had flexi you must be in that shite department that gets treated differently to everyone else.

No. You only get flexi at certain grades.

I was there not that long ago. I know people at all grades from AO up to SO. All on flexi so dunno what grade you are marra.

Edit. They've all been there a good while mind, but I didn't know anyone, even on new contracts who didn't have flexi (it just wasn't full flexi).

Last edited:
Edit. They've all been there a good while mind, but I didn't know anyone, even on new contracts who didn't have flexi (it just wasn't full flexi).

I remember when we first started we were brought in on TFTA Contracts (that were extended before the training was even half way through) and we didn't have Flexi as part of the contract, we did eventually get it when we moved from the Contact centre work to processing.

FWIR the apprentices who started a few years ago didn't have Flexi either and were on shifts with evening and weekend work. But obviously they weren't standard contracts.

I remember when we first started we were brought in on TFTA Contracts (that were extended before the training was even half way through) and we didn't have Flexi as part of the contract, we did eventually get it when we moved from the Contact centre work to processing.

FWIR the apprentices who started a few years ago didn't have Flexi either and were on shifts with evening and weekend work. But obviously they weren't standard contracts.

Gotcha. Didn't think about contact centre graft tbh.

That offer on the flexi seems a bit odd. It's saying flexi unless contracted to work certain hours. I'd be suspicious of that if I was still there and on full flexi tbh as I reckon a revised contract is likely to have core hours.

Last edited:
I was there not that long ago. I know people at all grades from AO up to SO. All on flexi so dunno what grade you are marra.

Aye them are the grades that have it.

6s and 7s get Time of in Lieu. Similar concept really, but taking off any built up time is at the managers discretion. Plus they encourage limiting any additional hours you can claim to travelling time.

Tbf I’ve never had an issue with it, but know some managers who don’t let their staff take it at all, and others who restrict it to a percentage of time built up. So work an extra 3 hours for whatever reason, can only claim a credit for 1.

Aye them are the grades that have it.

6s and 7s get Time of in Lieu. Similar concept really, but taking off any built up time is at the managers discretion. Plus they encourage limiting any additional hours you can claim to travelling time.

Tbf I’ve never had an issue with it, but know some managers who don’t let their staff take it at all, and others who restrict it to a percentage of time built up. So work an extra 3 hours for whatever reason, can only claim a credit for 1.

Aye fair one, to me they are one and the same really.

The latter point seems ridiculous and not something I've ever known about or encountered but you obviously know of it happening marra.
What are the comments mate?

The pay offer is exceptional IMHO.

Salary wise, for many, it's a cracking shout tbf.

Last edited:
Aye fair one, to me they are one and the same really.

The latter point seems ridiculous and not something I've ever known about or encountered but you obviously know of it happening marra.

Salary wise, for many, it's a cracking shout tbf.

It's an exceptional offer for me mate with me being in Surge. We get all the benefits and aren't negatively impacted in any way as we aren't part of CSG.

Flexi is a god send mate. I use typically 5 or 6 days per year from banking time when on easy / interesting deployments and work flows.

Last edited:

Hmrc pay offer
I don't think so

The HMRC starting salary was £19,550, working hours anything between 8am and 10pm any day, and once WFH ended I'd have a 75-minute commute. It was entirely impossible, looking back, that I would have been able to manage it.

HMLR, by contrast, pays £22,353 (about 2k more than I had thought when I interviewed), I'll only be working on weekdays between 8am and 5pm, and is only a 30-minute commute after WFH. And it's 28.5 days' holiday plus bank holidays, which is more than I thought and a few more than HMRC were offering.

Looking back, I don't know why there was even a debate. :lol:

Back