Civil service jobs platform

Anyone know how the central civil service jobs platform works?

I've been offered a definite start date for one department on 22/2, but I've got a provisional one for 3/1 elsewhere that I would prefer. They both pissed me around for months and then, very typically, both responded at once with a date. Mind, the lockdown has come in since that so I'm anticipating further delays.

Can the two departments see if I accept both and wait to see what happens? Or will the system/the recruitment team see this and stop me from accepting both?

Does it not say that when you go to accept one it’ll reject any other posting in a similar position? Sure it used to say something along those lines.

I've been offered a definite start date for one department on 22/2, but I've got a provisional one for 3/1 elsewhere that I would prefer. They both pissed me around for months and then, very typically, both responded at once with a date. Mind, the lockdown has come in since that so I'm anticipating further delays.

Can the two departments see if I accept both and wait to see what happens? Or will the system/the recruitment team see this and stop me from accepting both?
I think you’ve missed the 3rd January one.

I think you’ve missed the 3rd January one.
Oops! 1/3, I meant. 1st March.
Does it not say that when you go to accept one it’ll reject any other posting in a similar position? Sure it used to say something along those lines.
It isn't saying that.

To be fair I think I might decline the 22/2 one, because I want the 1/3 one. I'm just so desperate to leave my current job, I can't bear the idea that I turn a job down and the other one falls apart or is delayed.

Last edited:
Oops! 1/3, I meant. 1st March.

It isn't saying that.

To be fair I think I might decline the 22/2 one, because I want the 1/3 one. I'm just so desperate to leave my current job, I can't bear the idea that I turn a job down and the other one falls apart or is delayed.
Ah right. It used to do it anyways. Could always accept the 1/3 one first before responding to the 22/2 and then email GRS for more information

Ah right. It used to do it anyways. Could always accept the 1/3 one first before responding to the 22/2 and then email GRS for more information
👍

I'll probably sack the 22/2 one off as the working hours aren't great, even if the other one doesn't come off I am probably better off not taking it.

👍

I'll probably sack the 22/2 one off as the working hours aren't great, even if the other one doesn't come off I am probably better off not taking it.
Aye probably for the best then. Imagine you’ll be WFH the time being regardless of which job you take so if that other one is twilight customer service (on the phones) then you’ll just be working 8am-4pm until everything opens back up.

Good luck with your other one, hopefully you end up with it.

Being nosey, where are the jobs? If you don't mind saying.
Tell me where the two are and I’ll tell you what to accept.
HMRC in Benton (which is the one that's way too far to commute to after WHF ends, pays less and has shifts every day between 8am and 10pm)
Land Registry in Durham (which is much closer, pays more and only has shifts 8am to 5pm on weekdays)

HMRC in Benton (which is the one that's way too far to commute to after WHF ends, pays less and has shifts every day between 8am and 10pm)
Land Registry in Durham (which is much closer, pays more and only has shifts 8am to 5pm on weekdays)
If it’s they are same grade then it’s the LR all day. If you’re wanting promotion quickly then Benton.

Bang on.

Wouldn't catch me working in Benton park on the phones as an AO. Has to be the LR all day long, will be mainly processing & extremely relaxed environment.
No brainer really. Benton is a pain in the arse to get to. I’ve visited the place a few times and just thought it was like a prison. Parking is an arse on an all. LR just up the road from me, old fashioned and seems to be a dept that goes under the radar a lot hence the relaxed atmosphere.

No brainer really. Benton is a pain in the arse to get to. I’ve visited the place a few times and just thought it was like a prison. Parking is an arse on an all. LR just up the road from me, old fashioned and seems to be a dept that goes under the radar a lot hence the relaxed atmosphere.

Any idea what the Home Office is like for working for mate?

I am waiting for a start date for Modern day slavery / NRM decision maker. The role is mainly home working but I am expected to attend the office up Newcastle 4 times per month.

My previous dept. was GRS marra, just accept both. At some point someone will notice, and you're under no obligation until it comes to accepting a formal offer. Even then you can ditch it. As others have said tho, don't choose the HMRC contact centre, I lasted a month before bailing. Been working over 30 years and it was the worst job I've had by a country mile. All that can be said for it is that it's a foot in the door. But if you can get your foot in the door elsewhere, choose elsewhere.
Any idea what the Home Office is like for working for mate?

I am waiting for a start date for Modern day slavery / NRM decision maker. The role is mainly home working but I am expected to attend the office up Newcastle 4 times per month.

I have a mate who started at the HO at Link House? 20 years ago. Its a great dept. to get into, the size of it means there's always loads of oppos to progress.

Last edited:

Back