Cecil The Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I didn't?

:) Pit Dernitz is a pseudonym ffs. Google his name, his family names, and the park where this supposedly happened, and try to find one news report, one instance of any of these names outside of people discussing the video. That national park doesn't even exist. It's not a conspiracy, it's just staged 'found footage', as was popular in mondo films. Same style as Cannibal Holocaust.

"I didn't?"

My mistake. I got you mixed up with Crook Mackem.

"Pit Dernitz is a pseudonym ffs. Google his name, his family names, and the park where this supposedly happened"

I can't be arsed to Google his details - I posted the video because it was interesting not because I wanted to re enact BBC Question Time. If Pit Dernitz is a pseudonym then I am buggered if I know how I would Google his name anyway.

A reasonably sensible answer up to a point but your last paragraph lets you down badly. You are making assumptions about me that are wildly incorrect.

You original point is a longer version of the one @Cockney Mackem made which I understood and agreed with. My point to him was that we would adapt to these challenges and survive.

I was criticised by others for saying I only wanted to survive which was again, wildly inaccurate.

I think my original point some way back on this thread was that the crew of the Sea Shepherd are nothing more than attention seeking cockwombles. I stand by that.
I still haven't seen a convincing argument for saving a particular species of animal.

You suspect incorrectly. Does that make your post the stupidest one on here for some time?;)

I'm no veggie but you have a very strange attitude on this.

You need a reason not to kill an entire species?

I'm no veggie but you have a very strange attitude on this.

You need a reason not to kill an entire species?
Yeah if I don't see what purpose they serve. Have our lives got significantly worse since the final dodo popped his clogs?
I don't understand the anger and resources put towards saving a single type of whale, sparrow or stick insect.

Not even bees that are essential to crop pollination?
I'll accept that one.

I am just waiting for some Tory Knacker coming on and saying we are just green with envy because he can afford it and we can't.

These bastards think they can get away with anything because the law doesn't apply to their class.

I am just waiting for some Tory Knacker coming on and saying we are just green with envy because he can afford it and we can't.

These bastards think they can get away with anything because the law doesn't apply to their class.

Are you seething away there full of righteous indignation?

Yeah if I don't see what purpose they serve. Have our lives got significantly worse since the final dodo popped his clogs?
I don't understand the anger and resources put towards saving a single type of whale, sparrow or stick insect.

I see your point to some extent (or think I do!). Saving one 'poster boy' species is useless if we do not save the habitat and hence the rest of the ecosystem around that species. Habitat preservation is really what we need to be focussing on, save that and you save all the species that live in it. However marketing come into play. As people to name an African animal and most will quickly answer lion, elephant or rhino. If you launch a campaign to save the lions against one to save hyenas, then lions will always raise more money. Personally I love hyenas but they do not attract funds like a nice cuddly lion or polar bear cub does. The sensible charities are not feeding that money into the whole ecosystem.

You also need to consider the role of certain species in the entire food chain. Lions as an apex predator play a huge role in the balance of nature, as no other species can bring down the big antelope in the same numbers as a pack of lions will. Where a smaller cat like a genet would be sad to lose but not have as big an impact. They are one of many species that mostly eat small rodents and insects. When I talk about 'poster boy' species, it is interesting to see that the word genet is underlined red as it is not even in the spell check dictionary.

Also, if you adapt the attitude of allowing individual species then where does that stop? Lions can go, ok, so then what is the point in saving leopards? When they go, what is the next one we will let slip by? I've never seen a leopard and when my kids are a bit older, I'd love to take them to Africa to see the rich wildlife it offers. Hopefully we will get a leopard spot this time. It is sad to think that if I have grandchildren they might never get that chance, because lions and leopards are extinct. "Why are there not any wild lions any more granddad?", "Because we sat back and let fat Americans shoot them all for fun, the rest had their bones ground up for traditional Chinese medicine which is scientifically proven to have no affect what so ever". "Really granddad? Why were people so stupid back in your day?".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back