Cecil The Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't see why we should be save a particular creature/species just because it is endangered. Are all whales endangered or just one type?

I can't believe this post is serious, 'we*' are usually responsible for putting the species on the endangered list, so I think 'we' have a moral duty to try to save them from extinction.

*humans

I know all about the story. It's a well known fake. Climati was a mondo director who staged many violent scenes for his movies.

Dramatic reaction closeups on the crying baby caught in the car wing mirror? C'mon.

Debunked:
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=13428

Edit - if you want to test the veracity of IMDB, type 'Wallasee, Namibia' into Google - his 'place of death' - and see what comes up.

So why did you ask me if it was real ?

In the snopes page I can see two pages of opinions - that's all. The same sort of stuff you see from radgies on Youtube.

Since you know so much about this story can you tell me what Pit Dernitz did for a living after February 1975 ? :lol:

Last edited:
I can't believe this post is serious, 'we*' are usually responsible for putting the species on the endangered list, so I think 'we' have a moral duty to try to save them from extinction.

*humans
Why? Why should I care that there are no more of a particular type of whale, bird or insect? Whilst some animals are aesthetically pleasing in their natural habitat at the end of the day, they are just a food stuff to me.

Why? Why should I care that there are no more of a particular type of whale, bird or insect? Whilst some animals are aesthetically pleasing in their natural habitat at the end of the day, they are just a food stuff to me.

Nature is often a delicate balance. Upset this and the effects can be huge.

For example we killed off all our top predators, bears, wolves etc. Now, especially in Scotland we have too many deer. Deer eat leaves and particularly young shrubs. The pine trees in the Caledonian forests live to around 250 years old then die. Most of the youngest trees are 230 years old and are not being replaced because deer eat them all. Soon we can lose those forests which oxygenate the planet. The trees and shrubs also hold soil in place. Take those away and it flows into rivers as sediment, making rivers shallower. When the rains come, this increases the risk of flooding into peoples homes.

In Africa, if the predators are killed off then antelope numbers will boom, for the same reason tree cover will be reduced and that will affect a massive number of species as well as oxygenation. Eventually it affects insect numbers, particularly pollinators which we need to survive.

Nature and wild animals are fantastic to see and watch but also play a vital role in our survival. I do pity people like you who can not step outside their homes, cars and offices, take their eyes off digital screens, look around and go "wow - what an incredible planet we live on".

That's the stupidest post I've read on here for a long long time, if serious which I suspect it isnt.

that man died very quickly and was killed for food where the man had chosen to go in to the Lion's den as it were

Cecil was killed slowly, for sport, and was lured away from safety.

In my experience, trying to explain "context" on this board to certain people is a game you're never going to win. ;)

Can you explain why?
Well, apart from the (im)moral aspect of making species exticnt through our own selfish actions, @DaveH sums it up perfectly below:

For example we killed off all our top predators, bears, wolves etc. Now, especially in Scotland we have too many deer. Deer eat leaves and particularly young shrubs. The pine trees in the Caledonian forests live to around 250 years old then die. Most of the youngest trees are 230 years old and are not being replaced because deer eat them all. Soon we can lose those forests which oxygenate the planet. The trees and shrubs also hold soil in place. Take those away and it flows into rivers as sediment, making rivers shallower. When the rains come, this increases the risk of flooding into peoples homes.

In Africa, if the predators are killed off then antelope numbers will boom, for the same reason tree cover will be reduced and that will affect a massive number of species as well as oxygenation. Eventually it affects insect numbers, particularly pollinators which we need to survive.

Nature and wild animals are fantastic to see and watch but also play a vital role in our survival. I do pity people like you who can not step outside their homes, cars and offices, take their eyes off digital screens, look around and go "wow - what an incredible planet we live on".

It just goes to show that even though our intelligence makes us the cleverest animal on earth, it also makes us one of the stupidest.

A reasonably sensible answer up to a point but your last paragraph lets you down badly. You are making assumptions about me that are wildly incorrect.

You original point is a longer version of the one @Cockney Mackem made which I understood and agreed with. My point to him was that we would adapt to these challenges and survive.

I was criticised by others for saying I only wanted to survive which was again, wildly inaccurate.

I think my original point some way back on this thread was that the crew of the Sea Shepherd are nothing more than attention seeking cockwombles. I stand by that.
I still haven't seen a convincing argument for saving a particular species of animal.

That's the stupidest post I've read on here for a long long time, if serious which I suspect it isnt.
You suspect incorrectly. Does that make your post the stupidest one on here for some time?;)

I think my original point some way back on this thread was that the crew of the Sea Shepherd are nothing more than attention seeking cockwombles. I stand by that.
I still haven't seen a convincing argument for saving a particular species of animal.

Not even bees that are essential to crop pollination?

So why did you ask me if it was real ?

In the snopes page I can see two pages of opinions - that's all. The same sort of stuff you see from radgies on Youtube.

Since you know so much about this story can you tell me what Pit Dernitz did for a living after February 1975 ? :lol:

I didn't?

:) Pit Dernitz is a pseudonym ffs. Google his name, his family names, and the park where this supposedly happened, and try to find one news report, one instance of any of these names outside of people discussing the video. That national park doesn't even exist. It's not a conspiracy, it's just staged 'found footage', as was popular in mondo films. Same style as Cannibal Holocaust.

that man died very quickly and was killed for food where the man had chosen to go in to the Lion's den as it were

Cecil was killed slowly, for sport, and was lured away from safety.

I wasnt being serious!

ive read up about that - apparently its a fake - was done for a shock film in the 70s - apparently!

I didn't?

:) Pit Dernitz is a pseudonym ffs. Google his name, his family names, and the park where this supposedly happened, and try to find one news report, one instance of any of these names outside of people discussing the video. That national park doesn't even exist. It's not a conspiracy, it's just staged 'found footage', as was popular in mondo films. Same style as Cannibal Holocaust.
snap!

One of the most sensible and well thought out posts I've seen on here in ages.

Where did you copy it from? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back