Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

To be honest, you’d be better off with google for that. We’ve got raspberries, but don’t really do anything with them, care wise.

The potato clamp was a brain worm from years back, watching the Victorian Kitchen Garden.

No worries, thanks anyway.

The autumn ones look easier to look after and my neighbour has some plants that are only about 12-15” tall, they look ideal space wise rather than the huge summer ones, just haven’t seen him to ask him what variety they are.

Everyone’s greenhouses must be coming on now?
Mine not really started yet. It lost half the panels in mid-march along with some of my fencing. Just finished the last of putting stuff together and getting the first seeds planted outside. Should get everything away this weekend.

I reckon Im 3-4 weeks behind. Not an issue if we have a mild start to autumn.

Aye. Plenty of flowers just potted on, and cucumbers just about ready to start climbing all over the place. For some reason though, I'm having problems germinating the lettuce seeds !
I’ve got lettuce all over.

Mine not really started yet. It lost half the panels in mid-march along with some of my fencing. Just finished the last of putting stuff together and getting the first seeds planted outside. Should get everything away this weekend.

Aye. You might benefit later. I hate when my stuff is done and other people still going string late on.

Last edited:

Found my labels for last years tatties, didn’t put them in until 4th may so plenty of time

Was digging today and found a row of last years potatoes that I forgot about. They were well underground so aren’t green due to light and the majority of them feel firm and shiw no signs of damage. Would anyone take the risk of eating them?
It's the same as storing them except they usually get butchered by slugs. Get them eaten

If they are a main crop (King Edward, Desiree etc) and haven't started sprouting yet they should be ok
I've got loads of both left from last year after planting. As long as they haven't gone too soft they will be fine even after sprouting.

Last edited:
Took this lil' snap at the allotment earlier today. Can't remember the strawberries being in flower this early on before.

Logon or register to see this image
I got some new plants this year and moved my strawberry bed, and a few of them have flowers on. I’m not expecting a good crop like. Hopefully get lots of runners to fill up the bed and have a good one next year.

Annoyingly the person who had my house before me had mock strawberries growing and even though I dig them out at the first sight, they keep appearing all over the garden. They gradually took over the old strawberry bed but you could only tell the difference when yellow flowers appeared. I destroyed the whole lot in the end after a very poor year.

Potato growers, I need some help!

About 8 weeks ago I bought two growing bags and put a few sprouting potatoes in each.

Weekly I’ve been topping up the compost in the bags every time the plants pops out. Now I’m at the top of my bag.....I’m stuck!

Do I dig out the potatoes now? Do I let the plant just grow?

Any spud related help would be much appreciated.

Once you’ve helped me with this, I’ll ask you about my radishes!

Potato growers, I need some help!

About 8 weeks ago I bought two growing bags and put a few sprouting potatoes in each.

Weekly I’ve been topping up the compost in the bags every time the plants pops out. Now I’m at the top of my bag.....I’m stuck!

Do I dig out the potatoes now? Do I let the plant just grow?

Any spud related help would be much appreciated.

Once you’ve helped me with this, I’ll ask you about my radishes!

If you're at the top of the bag - then that's it - just leave them marra.
On their growth, you should have let the green shoots (the haulm) get to around 6" and then cover it up. Basically the same as "earthing up" when growing them in the ground.

So keep them watered, and a rule of thumb will be that after they have flowered, then the spuds will be ready.
But all sounds good to me.

Do any of you have any experience in growing ginger root ?

I bought one at the garden centre today and though it says to plant it Feb-May for havest July-November I would like to give it a go despite it being bit on the late side. But would it work in a large pot on the balcony or does it need to be planted into the ground at the allotment ? On the balcony I can better keep an eye on it, I feel. Planted into the ground at the allotment I may end up forgetting about it till it grows leafy. Even with an added stick next to it.

Would love to make my own ginger root shots. If anyone has a good idea on how to make that later in the year am all ears.

Last edited:

Back