Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Productive day today now it's warmer and the rain's stopped

Dug out last year's compost heap and hauled it onto 3 raised beds which I'd weeded and dug over

Dug a load of well rotted hoss muck into one side of the tunnel.... Still picking purple sprouting broccoli and spring cabbage from the other side

Erected (smirk) pea netting and planted out early peas and a few broad bean seedlings.... Hopefully seen the last severe frosts so they should be safe....

Thinking about setting up a large veg plot on one half of the front garden - wilfy says people will steal the produce so debate continues
Depends what you grow and what sort of area you live in. I can’t imagine people sneaking in during the dead of night to dig up potatoes and carrots. Big squashes might go around halloween but most other stuff will need effort to nick.

Thinking about setting up a large veg plot on one half of the front garden - wilfy says people will steal the produce so debate continues
Must be north side?
Barbed wire fences and security patrols needed :lol:

Lovely morning here at the allotment. I'm making more raised beds which are so easy. It's harder work filling them :D

Last edited:
Must be north side?
Barbed wire fences and security patrols needed :lol:

Lovely morning here at the allotment. I'm making more raised beds which are so easy. It's harder work filling them :D

Make me some :D Nice enough street and front is fairly private - not really the done thing to have an allotment in your front garden but I might start a new trend

For reference this is the front - I think it would be ideal and gets more sun than my greenhouse
Logon or register to see this image

d10 roller

Last edited:
Recently started watching the "Home Grown Veg" channel on YouTube.

It is run by a lovely old guy from Cumbria who grows all his stuff in raised beds and particularly in buckets. In fact, I would say that this guy is probably the King of Bucket Grown Veg, including potatoes, celery, leeks, carrots, broad and runner beans and even sprouts. His sidekick, Molly the Border Collie is a star as well, and is very fond of freshly harvested potatoes.

Home Grown Veg

Potato advice needed

Bought some first earlies to plant today in those plastic potato bags with the door on - was reading lastnight and some say you need to keep topping up the soil and to plant quite low down , others say no need and just plant towards the top and cover with soil
The "Home Grown Veg" plants his potatoes in buckets, and has the potato two inches from the base of the bucket (i.e. low down, with a lot of soil above it).

If the seed potato is too close to the surface, the newly grown potatoes may break the surface and become green. Green potatoes are very poisonous.

Last edited:
Make me some :D Nice enough street and front is fairly private - not really the done thing to have an allotment in your front garden but I might start a new trend

For reference this is the front - I think it would be ideal and gets more sun than my greenhouse

d10 roller
My mother has a small raised bed in her south facing back garden. It's amazing how much you can grow in it like carrots, lettuce etc as long as you're trying to grow cabbages or big stuff like that. New potatoes grown in pots or bags are dead easy as well.

Recently started watching the "Home Grown Veg" channel on YouTube.

It is run by a lovely old guy from Cumbria who grows all his stuff in raised beds and particularly in buckets. In fact, I would say that this guy is probably the King of Bucket Grown Veg, including potatoes, celery, leeks, carrots, broad and runner beans and even sprouts. His sidekick, Molly the Border Collie is a star as well, and is very fond of freshly harvested potatoes.

Home Grown Veg

The "Home Grown Veg" plants his potatoes in buckets, and has the potato two inches from the base of the bucket (i.e. low down, with a lot of soil above it).

If the seed potato is too close to the surface, the newly grown potatoes may break the surface and become green. Green potatoes are very poisonous.
I've watched him. His dog eats half of them :lol:

Last edited:
I think my tomatoes get too dry, which is why I have had a few poor years.

I stuck some peas in my greenhouse border and I was amazed at how dry it was. I give it a good soaking, turned it over and it was bone dry underneath. I did that a few times and still it was pretty dry. I think I need to spend the next month keeping it moist before I pull the peas out and get the tomatoes in.

Get some Vermiculite dug in, it will help retain moisture in the soil.

d10 roller
Grow your stuff in alternate rows..veg, flowers, veg, flowers etc. That way nobody can complain.

d10 roller
It’s a good growing space, I see why you want to use it. How about fruit bushes

It’s a good growing space, I see why you want to use it. How about fruit bushes

They would be good to have too , we only have a relatively small back yard , I do have a small greenhouse out there just fancied expanding from growing summer only. The green area in the yarden is artificial turf , half hot tub and half dog bog so no room for any raised beds or owt

Turning the compost heap yesterday and I heard a peeping noise.... Saw something moving !!!! Then a tiny grey squiggly thing crawled out !!!! Then another.

Thought I'd unearthed a rat's nest so went for a think on how to deal with it... Went back to uncover it and let the magpies at it but spotted a mother pygmy shrew busy carrying the babies out to safety underneath some wood.... Gently unearthed another 2 babies and she took them too....

Delighted I didn't just stamp on them now...

Will be putting out calabrese and spring flowering broc on Monday. Big on brassicas this year.

Got the raised beds on the go out in France. Carrots, lettuce, taties, beans and onions with some main crop taties in the main beds.

See how we get on. I meant to put the early taties out last visit but just ran out of time which was a bit of a pisser but hopefully this lot should be ready come the main summer hols.

Back